Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT questions

Posted by Katie on 7/31/02 at 01:52 (091078)

Hi, im sorry if this sort of thing isnt quite the sort of theing usally posted on this board, anyway, I had ESWT a couple of months ago, 2 questions, 1, was it suppossed to hurt as much as it did, or more to the point, soes it hurt for alot of people, my physio and doctor both insisted before i went that it wasnt going to but it did, and 2. how long is it going to take for it to work?

Re: ESWT questions

Pete R on 7/31/02 at 13:56 (091160)

I'm 3 weeks post eswt and in more pain now. Treatment did hurt even though I had a local nerve block. 6 weeks minimum is the time recommended before you see any success

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/31/02 at 14:27 (091165)

Hi

Sorry that you are in pain and had pain during the procedure. Yes some will have pain . Some will have up and down cycle post-eswt. Here are some the things to do while in pain

1. No bare feet
2. Warm, ice warm soaks
3 NSAID
4. Taping/ elastic support
5. Medrol dose packet if necessary

Could take up to twelve weeks for relief

David G. on 7/31/02 at 14:42 (091166)

i was worse for the first few weeks and didn't see measurable results until week 8. IT'S WORKING!!!! 2nd treatment in September

Katie on 8/02/02 at 05:34 (091369)

You had a nerve block before hand, i wish someone would have thought about that before i had the procedure done, also, like you i find that the procedure isnt working either and that i also am in more pain.

Pete R on 7/31/02 at 13:56 (091160)

I'm 3 weeks post eswt and in more pain now. Treatment did hurt even though I had a local nerve block. 6 weeks minimum is the time recommended before you see any success

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/31/02 at 14:27 (091165)

Hi

Sorry that you are in pain and had pain during the procedure. Yes some will have pain . Some will have up and down cycle post-eswt. Here are some the things to do while in pain

1. No bare feet
2. Warm, ice warm soaks
3 NSAID
4. Taping/ elastic support
5. Medrol dose packet if necessary

Could take up to twelve weeks for relief

David G. on 7/31/02 at 14:42 (091166)

i was worse for the first few weeks and didn't see measurable results until week 8. IT'S WORKING!!!! 2nd treatment in September

Katie on 8/02/02 at 05:34 (091369)

You had a nerve block before hand, i wish someone would have thought about that before i had the procedure done, also, like you i find that the procedure isnt working either and that i also am in more pain.