Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Nancy N - about your new Honda

Posted by Kathy G on 7/31/02 at 09:17 (091120)

Hi Nancy,

How do you like your new Civic so far? My husband is in the market for new car and tried one out the other day. His main problem is that he's really a Toyota person as we're on our fourth Corolla. Well, it's the car I drive but since his means of transportation is a truck, we use the Corolla whenever we got someplace together. So, he's just not sure if he likes the Civic as well as the Corolla. My daughter has a '98 Civic she absolutely loves and, knock wood, it's been a terrific, carefree car.

Right now, they're offering great deals on Honda Accords since they're redesigning them for 2003 but he's not sure he wants a car that big. Actually, he doesn't really need a car; I just have a fit when it snows and he drives the truck to work because trucks are so bad in snow. His idea is to keep the truck, for those times he'll need a truck, and get a car for going to and from work. Personally, I think he just loves reading the car ads and trying out cars, so I just go along for the ride, literally. I think his next step is going to be to try out the Subaru Forester and Outback.

Good luck on selling your car! You always make out better selling a car on your own then you do on a dealer trade-in. Glad that your friend is going to help you out.

Re: Nancy N - about your new Honda

john h on 7/31/02 at 09:48 (091127)

Kathy: My last three vehicles have been 6 cylinder Honda Accords and I love them compared to my wifes big old Buick. Along the way I also drove 2 Corollas. I do not ever recall having my Accords or Corollas in the shop for anything but routine service. The Accord is now considered a full size automobile.

Nancy N on 7/31/02 at 10:07 (091130)

Kathy--

Couldn't tell you how I like the Civic in practice yet, as it's still sitting at the Honda dealer's until I get the cash for my Saturn. I'll be happy to give you a report as soon as I can, though! I'm hoping to sell the Saturn soon, but I'll be away this weekend (and it will be with me unless a miracle occurs before then), which is why my friends' help is crucial. They're willing to field calls for me while I'm gone so people don't get annoyed/frustrated/etc at a lack of response on my part. I've advertised it at the mileage it'll have after I get back, since it's about a 500 mile trip, so that should be OK. We listed the price kind of low ($1500) in order to sell it faster, but since there are others in the paper for more ($2200), I really hope that people don't skip my ad thinking something is wrong with the car--which is not true!

I'll let you know how it goes. I can say that I liked the way the Civic drives. I didn't try the Corrolla because the features I wanted weren't standard like they were on the Civic EX, and it would have taken longer to get the car--probably would have had to order it (I refuse to drive a car without ABS anymore, having had two accidents which proved to me that I do not have the presence of mind to pump the brakes when the wheels lock). But I did think about it. I really wanted to have the car by now--didn't expect the trade-in to be as low as it was. If they'd offered me the blue book trade value, I'd have taken it. I wanted to have the CD player and the reduced road noise of the new car before heading out on this trip.

Oh well.... life is what happens while you're making other plans, right? :)

Carole C in NOLA on 7/31/02 at 10:23 (091135)

When I bought my present car two years ago, I asked my two big brothers what car in my price range would break down the least. Both brothers are 'car nuts' and one has a lot of trophies from racing cars when he was younger.

One brother said 'First choice, Toyota Camry, second choice, Honda Accord'. The other brother said 'First choice, Honda Accord, second choice, Toyota Camry'. Then they both said the other brother was just as correct, so I guess it was truly a tie.

I thought that was pretty cool, since they live thousands of miles apart and haven't spent much time together in the past 40 years. I went to the Toyota dealer since he was closest, and bought a 2000 Camry Solara which I love.

Carole C

Nancy N on 7/31/02 at 10:39 (091136)

Carole--

A friend of mine told me the same thing! Either the Civic or the Corolla. He figured they both were equally reliable. The Civic was Consumer Reports favorite small car for this year, but the Corolla was redesigned and released early as a 2003, several months ago. So I really think either would have been fine. The Corolla costs slightly less, but by the time I would have added features to make it equivalent to the Civic, I think it would have been about the same. And the Civic was available more easily, so that's where I went.

Now if I could just get the car!!! This waiting is driving me nuts, even though I know it's saving me money....

Carole C in NOLA on 7/31/02 at 13:22 (091155)

This is my first car that's not from Detroit. They say that Toyotas and Hondas last for a long time. I'm hoping that mine will last for 8-10 years, although I'm not completely depending on that being true.

My brothers also said the Corolla was a great car and probably feel the same about the Civic.

I know what you mean about the features. The Camry Solara is like that. A lot of people think it's more expensive than the regular Camry, but really it's not if you want all the features that are standard on it. I enjoy having those little luxuries.

Carole C

Nancy N on 7/31/02 at 13:45 (091157)

It definitely pays to look at the different trim lines before choosing the model you want to buy. I got the EX because I couldn't get the ABS any other way. In the process, I get the windows/locks, CD player, and power moonroof, among other things. I would not have added a moonroof to a car if I had to add features, but I can't deny that I think it's going to be a blast to have one! If I added all that stuff to the Corolla, I think it would have been right around the same price, maybe a little more. But since I would have had to order the car, I didn't bother to do the actual research.

I'm hoping mine will last a good 8-10 years, too. I thought about buying a used one, but my current car was a used car, and I only paid it off in January of last year. That's not a good enough loan-to-duration ratio for me. I don't want to be buying another car as soon as I pay this one off, so I went new.

Here's hoping it's as durable and long-lived as they say!

Carole C in NOLA on 7/31/02 at 15:25 (091172)

You are going to get such a tremendous kick out of having that moonroof! Having something special and luxurious so that your car goes beyond the practical, minimal configuration can make all the difference in how you feel about it, I think. I don't have the moonroof, but I have some luxuries that came standard and make me feel just a little pampered and I like having a car that's nicer than minimal.

I think your Honda Civic may very well last 8-10 years! I think my Solara has a good chance of lasting a long time too. I've owned it for exactly two years this month, and despite driving it to Florida last month I have put only 15,000 miles on it so far. All it has needed is gas, scheduled maintenance, and its weekly carwash.

Carole C

Nancy N on 7/31/02 at 15:56 (091175)

I confess, I can't wait to have the moonroof. I just hope it doesn't spoil me for all future cars. Anybody know what the difference is between a sunroof and a moonroof? They do essentially the same thing, right?

Your Toyota reliability report is encouraging. I think Toyota and Honda are in the same league overall, so I hope the Honda will do as well! :)

Kathy G on 7/31/02 at 18:10 (091193)

I'm not positive but I think a sunroof and moonroof are the same. Or maybe because of the extra UV shield you can pull over the glass to help block out the sun rays is what they consider a sunroof these days. You should have seen us the first time we took out an Accord with a sunroof. The salesman had left it open and we wanted it closed. Well, David finally had to pull off the road to find the switch to do it! He had the headlights going, the windshield wipers, the washers, etc. It was a simple switch right in front of him but since we've never had a sunroof, we didn't know where to look!

I think a sunroof would be great but I have bad allergies (man, I am such a pain!) and when I drive with even the windows down, I sneeze and get so stuffed up. The only time I could probably open it without symptoms would be in the winter! My son, who just bought a 1994 Saab 900 Turbo, his first 'fun' car, claims that all you do, if it's a bad allergy day, is open the sunroof and run the air-conditioner, too. That way, much of the pollen is filtered out. He had a Nissan Maxima that has a sunroof and his new car does, too. He's finally in a financial situation where he can afford to buy a new car but he opted for this Saab because he's always loved them. I think everyone should have at least one car in their lifetime that they just love to drive, whether it's practical or not, so I'm very happy for him.

And Nancy, you should easily get 8-10 years out of your Civic as long as you do regular maintenance. My son drove my 1985 Corolla until 1995 and then, the engine was in good shape but he'd wrecked the interior putting in stereo equipment so he got rid of it. And my brother-in-law is driving my 1990 Corolla and it's going strong. And he doesn't even change the oil every 3,000 miles like he should. The Civic is in the same class; they are just wonderful cars! When I bought my last Corolla, my salesman said that there are Honda people and there are Toyota people but neither are going to make any mechanics rich! By the way, I do think my daughter's Civic is a ball to drive! Whenever I drive it, I have to really watch it because I have a tendency to go way too fast in it! I think you'll be very happy with your new car.

john h on 7/31/02 at 19:04 (091202)

Kathy: I have a moonroof on my Honda Accord and in two years I think I have opened it twice. Unfortunately the model I wanted came only with a moonroof.

Carole C in NOLA on 7/31/02 at 19:21 (091208)

I had a sunroof on my '88 Dodge Daytona, which I bought new in 1987. It was Aggie maroon, and I drove it to the Texas A&M campus every day. I loved that car! It didn't have power windows or a power sunroof, so you open and close it by turning a wheel about the size of the palm of your hand. I used the sunroof more days than not. It felt delicious, and also when it was open that would give me an extra inch of headroom.

Well, maybe it was a moonroof? I always called it a sunroof. Basically, when you opened it, the front of the glass on the roof lifted up about an inch and a half or so and that was all that happened. In the summer that allowed a sultry breeze to flow through your hair.

Carole C

wendyn on 7/31/02 at 23:43 (091230)

I believe that what you're describing is a moon-roof Carole. I have a 2002 Honda Accord which I love. Well, my husband drives it most of the time - so WE love it.

It has a sun roof. It's very cool.

Most of the time I drive the Windstar van - nice - but not so cool.

wendyn on 7/31/02 at 23:50 (091232)

From my basic understanding of cars - a moon roof is the one that just lifts up an inch or so, a sun roof retracts all the way in.

Nancy N on 7/31/02 at 23:51 (091233)

Hmm. I know the moonroof on my hopefully-soon-to-be car is the kind that retracts back into the roof of the car, not the kind that pops up. So does that mean that the sunroof is the one that pops up? I know it probably doesn't matter, I'm just baffled by the need for more than one word for what is essentially the same thing!

john h on 8/01/02 at 12:30 (091276)

Nancy: I hope you finally got an automatic. Seems you and Judy are still resisting automatic transmissions. Hey! it gives your feft foot more rest without all that shifting.

john h on 8/01/02 at 12:34 (091277)

Carole & Nancy N: If that Civic last for 8-10 years it will far out live most marriages. Besides that it want nag you and will be cheap to run and you can stay out all night and it want care.

john h on 8/01/02 at 12:38 (091278)

Moon roof/Sun roof- If you want something that really retracts Mercedes has a model where the entire meal roof retracts and you are now in a convertable. I pulled up besides a Lexus convertable yesterday. Wow! I bet that baby cost $100,000. Dr. Z would look cool in it. He could probably load the EPOS in the back seat and really attract the ladies.

Carole C in NOLA on 8/01/02 at 13:04 (091282)

Good points, John! I won't have to do its laundry, either. But will it take our the trash? Oh well, my ex wouldn't do that either. LOL

Carole C

Nancy N on 8/01/02 at 13:20 (091284)

Hate to disappoint you, John, but I am sticking with the 5-speed. I really like it a lot better--maybe I'm just a control freak and need to be able to dictate what my car does! Or maybe I'm just crazy, I don't know. I just like to feel like I'm actually driving the car, instead of just pointing it in the direction I want to go. :)

wendyn on 8/01/02 at 13:46 (091286)

I'm with Nancy - I love our 5 speed - even if it does hurt my feet a bit...way more fun.

Nancy N on 8/01/02 at 14:51 (091291)

Go Wendy! I always knew there was a reason I liked you :)

Seriously, though, I have driven two automatics that felt like I'd have done better to get out and push--or like they needed to be cranked! They never shifted gears properly. It was so frustrating, because I knew I could have done a better job myself. That's when I decided that I didn't ever want an automatic, unless my left leg fell off!

And it came in handy when I was in Ireland, and my adopted family were quite surprised to discover that they only had to teach me to drive on the left side of the road, and not to drive standard as well.

john h on 8/01/02 at 15:25 (091294)

Nancy & Wendy: I bet you girls would not even like cruise control on an aircraft. I have had a Peugeot, 3 VW Bugs, and some clunkers from way back that were stick shifts. Enough of that. I did like my bugs . I drove cars with buttons on the dash to shift (chrysler). A car that had a shift on the steering wheel but you did not have to use the clutch and the ever famous fluid drive pontiac. Floor shifts always interfered with sitting close to your date and driving with your arm around her. Seems somewhere along the way I drove some car that shifted automatically. What you going to do Nancy when those electric cars get here and you can only shift into reverse?.

Nancy N on 8/01/02 at 16:00 (091298)

Now John.... the car I am selling has cruise control, and so does the one I'm buying! I just don't set it till I'm already in 5th gear, since I only use it on the highway anyhow. (I do remember when my dad got his first standard with cruise and couldn't figure out how that could work!)

Why are the electric cars any different than gas cars in terms of shifting? I'm not understanding how the power source makes any difference to the transmission, but then I am not a gearhead by any stretch of the imagination. We saw SmartCars in Germany, which were tiny little cars and I think they run at least partially on electricty. I can't imagine the Europeans giving up their standard shits, so I am not too worried :)

Kathy G on 8/01/02 at 16:27 (091304)

My 2000 Corolla is my first automatic. In an ideal world, I would own two cars - one standard and one automatic. If I were going to drive in a lot of traffic, had particularly sore feet, or my back was acting up, I'd use the automatic. If I just wanted to have fun, I'd use the five-speed! No matter how old I get, I think I will always love to drive a standard! And Nancy, wait until you see how responsive your Civic is!

You're right about how unusual it is to know how to drive a standard. My daughter is 21 and says about 70% of her college friends don't know how to drive a five-speed. And that includes guys, too. In my day, it was mostly the women who didn't know how to drive standards. She says it's actually very nice for her because it takes care of the problem of having to refuse to let anyone borrow her car. It's not an issue; no one knows how to drive it!

Nancy N on 8/01/02 at 16:33 (091305)

I hear ya! I only know how to drive it because my father insisted that I learn before getting my license, just so that I could drive anything that might come my way, if necessary. I hated it at first, but once I got the hang of it, I really loved it. Especially after driving those automatics. One of the things I hated the most in those cars was that I couldn't accelerate like I wanted to when getting on the highway. I don't have that problem in a 5-speed.

I have taught two people to drive it--one was a guy, a friend of mine in college, and his first car was then a standard. The other is my best friend, who wanted to learn just for kicks (but was a very good student--I think she thought I was nuts with some of the things I had her try, but she sure learned!), and now owns a standard as well. Her reasoning was much like mine for this car--why should I pay more money for something I don't want? Oh--and my brother, who got to learn on a Honda instead of a Dodge Omni Miser like me, also prefers it, though he is coming to like the automatic in his Acura Integra as well.

It looks like I will be driving my Saturn to Lake George, NY this weekend, which is disappointing (I want to play with my new toy, dernit!), but it will be OK, too--I'm kind of reconciled to that idea now. It's always been a good car. But I still can't wait to get my hands on the new one!

Julie on 8/01/02 at 17:22 (091311)

Nancy, I turned my nose up at automatics too. Then I got my first automatic Nissan Micra, a lovely little car with NCVT (Nissan Continuous Variable Transmission: it shifts beautifully). I'm currently on my third. I love it, and realised from the first week of driving it, once I got over the shock of the change after 40 years of shifting gears, that NOT having to shift gears leaves your mind free to do the driving. My driving has improved since the change. It's definitely not just 'pointing' the car.

And it's ever so much easier on the left foot, leg and hip, especially if you do a lot of driving in traffic.

Nancy N on 8/01/02 at 18:04 (091325)

Julie--

I've heard of the CVTs, but there aren't very many available here yet. Glad to hear that it sounds like a good thing. I'll still take the 5-speed for now--I know that my two bad automatic experiences are an awfully small sample, but it was enough to make me wary till I know more. Driving standard is pretty automatic for me--I rarely have to put much conscious thought into it--so I would hope that there wouldn't be too much difference either way, though I could be wrong about that, too. I have driven two automatics lately--one Volvo on a few road trips, and a Chevy, I think, in Florida (rental car) and didn't notice much of a big difference in that regard, though I wasn't doing significant quantities of driving.

I just like being in control of the car, I guess. And I don't mind using both feet--in fact, I kind of like it. Though I reserve the right to change my mind as the technology improves :)

Julie on 8/02/02 at 02:30 (091363)

Hi Nancy

Controlling the car? With all due respect to our left feet, that's a job for our minds. Automatic transmission leaves the attention completely free to watch the road. Before I changed, I wouldn't have believed there could be a difference, but there was - for me, at any rate. There's a kind of subtlety to it that's hard to describe, but the important thing is that I feel more in control of the car now than I did before, despite the huge increase in London traffic. Just one example: not having to shift down or risk stalling when you have to brake suddenly really makes a difference (yes, I know one shouldn't ever need to brake suddenly, but when going around Piccadilly Circus with cars shooting out at speed from every direction, it's sometimes unavoidable).

When you're a little old lady like me, and the technology has improved even further, and the traffic is even worse and you're ready to give your left leg a well-deserved rest, you'll probably try it, and then I bet you'll believe me. Honest - I felt exactly as you do for my first four decades of driving (and used exactly the same words) but I'm a convert. (It must be something to do with our age, eh John?)

Have a beautiful weekend, Nancy, and please remember me to Lake George.

_

Re: More two cents

wendyn on 8/02/02 at 07:11 (091373)

I think it's easier to control a standard while driving on ice. You can gear down instead of breaking. I have no idea if this is a big issue for you or not Nancy - but it is for me!!!!

Nancy N on 8/02/02 at 07:32 (091375)

Wendy--

My dad has always preferred standards for snow driving. He feels it's really important to have control over the car in snow and ice. I'd tend to agree. I've heard other people say they think automatics are better, but I've never been able to figure out why...though some of the newer cars have traction control--not that I understand how that's supposed to work, since I've never driven one.

Nancy N on 8/02/02 at 07:39 (091377)

Julie--

I understand your point, though I don't feel that my attention is compromised by driving stick. It's not as though I have to look away from the road to shift gears, and it's such an automatic process for me that I just do it without consciously thinking about it--almost like blinking. I am more interested in controlling what the insides of the car are doing--and like I said, a lot of this comes from driving several automatics that couldn't seem to figure out when to shift gears. It drove me completely nuts, because I knew I could do a better job than the supposed automatic transmission was doing. And it was a dangerous situation in certain types of driving, when you really needed to GO but the transmission couldn't seem to oblige.

I may someday change my mind. But for now, I'm sticking with my 5-speed :) As for my left leg, I've never understood why everyone is concerned about the left leg and not the right, which is also an active part of driving, regardless of what kind of car you have...

(Are automatics more common in your part of the world than they used to be, Julie? I was told 6 years ago that you could get them in the UK, but it was difficult and they were very expensive, mostly due to lack of interest. Has that changed?)

wendyn on 8/02/02 at 08:29 (091388)

I don't know how traction control works, but I have it in the van. If I'm driving on ice, it sometimes kicks in - especially driving up icy hills.

I don't want to talk about ice and snow anymore though. It's too sad.

john h on 8/02/02 at 08:51 (091393)

Nancy Nancy Nancy--check you spelling----

Nancy N on 8/02/02 at 08:53 (091394)

OOOOOPS!!!!!

Boy, can't sneak anything past you, John!!!

Kathy G on 8/02/02 at 09:35 (091403)

Well, while we're on the subject, and we certainly seem to be:) - I definitely prefer a standard to an automatic in the snow. I'm not sure I see a whole lot of difference in ice since there's not a whole lot of control no matter what you're driving! But, I had to re-learn driving in snow when I got my automatic, it's a different process altogether!

Wendy, how many months of summer do you actually have where you are? We seem to have become a two-season climate here in NE, pretty much a week or two of spring and a week or two of fall, and everything else is winter and summer. Who knows why? Global warming, ozone, jet stream shift, El Nino? I just really miss those crisp, autumn days we used to have when I was a kid and those breezy, warmish days of the spring. They're becoming a thing of the past. Does it seem that way in Canada, too?

Re: Moon shift?

JudyS on 8/02/02 at 10:59 (091411)

Well actually, John, I have both and like both equally. My standard-shift is an ancient RX-7 sports car and it just wouldn't be 'right' if it had an automatic. What I like about it is that it gives me a sense that I'm really managing, manipulating and controlling the car and that can be kind of fun with a little sports car and a big, middle-aged ego! I like my 9-year-old Explorer's automatic because it's simpler and that can be a welcome relief especially on a long road trip.

As I've been shopping for a car to replace the Explorer, I'm seeing cars with both sun and moon roofs. There are two layers of sliding panels. The upper one (the one that melds with the roof of the car) can open leaving the lower one closed. The lower one is shaded - which creates the so-called 'moon roof'. However, if the lower one is also opened, leaving a complete opening to the sky, that is referred to as a 'sun-roof'.

I've just returned from my month in Michigan and apparently the first thing I needed to talk about was cars! But the fact is that I've certainly missed reading everyone's thoughts and ideas.

Hope your respective summers are enjoyable.

Nancy N on 8/02/02 at 11:09 (091413)

Hey, I like the Moon Shift idea, Judy. Does that work kind of like the tides?

Welcome back :)

Re: Judy, welcome back! :) (nm)

Carole C in NOLA on 8/02/02 at 12:14 (091417)

JudyS on 8/02/02 at 13:07 (091425)

Thank you, Carole - hey, yours is one of the email addresses that got lost in my XP shift - can you drop me a line? Thank you. :)

john h on 8/02/02 at 13:16 (091427)

Judy: thank you for your explanation of a Moon Roof. I guess my Honda Accord qualifies since it has the metal roof that moves back and forth with a button and also a slinding patition that covers the interior completely. Fifteen or so years ago you could still order a Cadillac with a manual shift. You had to pay a very large premium to get this option. What sort of person orders a big cadillac with a stick shift??? Julie do they have a Rolls with a stick shift? I remember riding in a Rolls taxi in London many years ago and as I recall there were a number of Mercedes taxis. If there are any real car gurus here you will certainly remember the Gull Winged Mercedes 2 door sports car. I was in Frankfurt showroom viewing one and a new one cost a wooping $6500 U.S. Anyone want to venture a guess on what year that may have been?.

Re: Judy, welcome back! )

Carole C in NOLA on 8/02/02 at 13:18 (091428)

Judy, I'm (email removed) , and CLCinNOLA on AIM. I may not answer right away because I don't read my e-mail every day, but I try to read it at least once or twice a week.

Carole C

Re: Rolls stick?

Julie on 8/02/02 at 16:39 (091452)

Dunno, John, about the Rolls.

But were there really Rolls taxis? When?

Year in Frankfurt: 1958? Thereabouts?

wendyn on 8/02/02 at 18:53 (091454)

Kathy - I suppose in general we (and this would only be Calgary - not the rest of Canada) would consider fall to be mid September to late October. Winter would be from then until late March. April and May would be spring. June through maybe mid September would be September.

Having said that - I have seen t-shirt weather even in January and February, and I have seen snow in July in August.

It's the unpredictable nature that really gets on peoples nerves. We've just had about 6 weeks of hot dry weather. Now it's POURING out with possible snow tonight. The change took place in about a 48 hour period.

wendyn on 8/02/02 at 18:55 (091455)

September should read summer...I'm in a hurry!

Re: Wendyn - your weather

Kathy G on 8/03/02 at 09:16 (091474)

Wendy,

That's really interesting. Your time frame for the seasons is exactly the same as that of New Hampshire. Of course, you you have much more snow in the winter than we do and much colder temperatures, too. And I can't believe you've got snow in the forecast in early August!

One of the things I love about these boards is being able to learn about weather and customs in other parts of the world and US. Thanks for sharing with me! And maybe in another 48 hours, it'll be hot again! (What do the poor farmers do in this kind of climate?)

Re: The Gull Wing

Kathy G on 8/03/02 at 09:23 (091476)

John,

My husband had a friend who had a gull wing. Thirty years ago, when we first married, he brought me to see it. The fellow was an importer who travled in extensively in Europe and he picked it up over there. I know he finally sold it for a huge profit and at an incredibly high price. So, I 'm guessing if you saw it for $6500 American, it must have been 35 or 40 years ago, right?

john h on 8/04/02 at 10:01 (091537)

You are right Kathy in the late 50's

Re: Late response to KathyG

wendyn on 8/04/02 at 11:56 (091540)

Kathy, our farmers have given up this year. The late snowfall followed by six weeks of bone dry hot temperatures did them in. To add insult to injury, they've also been over run this year by grashoppers, and now some unseasonably cold weather. (We broke a record low for this weekend that had stood for over 100 years)

john h on 8/04/02 at 16:57 (091563)

what are the major farm products in your area Wendy? Ours is soy beans and we are in deed the chicken capital of the world with Tyson. Walmart is no farm prodcut but their headquarters began and still exist in the nothern mountain town of Bentonville, Arkansas. Seems like wheat should be your product if you are in the plains.

Re: Industry

wendyn on 8/04/02 at 17:26 (091566)

John, our major industry is oil and gas. Farmers here grow canola, wheat, barley, mustard. We have cattle ranchers too, and with the drought there isn't any feed for them.

john h on 8/04/02 at 18:59 (091570)

At one point in my flying job I would fly food in for the cattle and sheep in places in Wyoming that were snow bound. When winter sets in near the Rockies many of the ranchers are frequenly locked in for long periods. I have brought food to many a house in Montana and Wyoming where the snow drifts reached the second story windows and the farmers lived on dirt roads and were many miles from any thing.

Re: Winter

wendyn on 8/04/02 at 21:07 (091580)

Maybe you will fly in some food to my house this winter John!!!

Did you ever get a chance to try Sol?

It is too cold for Sol here right now. Today is a red wine day. Would be brandy if I had it (or liked it).

john h on 8/05/02 at 13:30 (091642)

So far I have not found any SOL Wendy. I guess I will have to go to an upscale booze store. I will be looking---

john h on 7/31/02 at 09:48 (091127)

Kathy: My last three vehicles have been 6 cylinder Honda Accords and I love them compared to my wifes big old Buick. Along the way I also drove 2 Corollas. I do not ever recall having my Accords or Corollas in the shop for anything but routine service. The Accord is now considered a full size automobile.

Nancy N on 7/31/02 at 10:07 (091130)

Kathy--

Couldn't tell you how I like the Civic in practice yet, as it's still sitting at the Honda dealer's until I get the cash for my Saturn. I'll be happy to give you a report as soon as I can, though! I'm hoping to sell the Saturn soon, but I'll be away this weekend (and it will be with me unless a miracle occurs before then), which is why my friends' help is crucial. They're willing to field calls for me while I'm gone so people don't get annoyed/frustrated/etc at a lack of response on my part. I've advertised it at the mileage it'll have after I get back, since it's about a 500 mile trip, so that should be OK. We listed the price kind of low ($1500) in order to sell it faster, but since there are others in the paper for more ($2200), I really hope that people don't skip my ad thinking something is wrong with the car--which is not true!

I'll let you know how it goes. I can say that I liked the way the Civic drives. I didn't try the Corrolla because the features I wanted weren't standard like they were on the Civic EX, and it would have taken longer to get the car--probably would have had to order it (I refuse to drive a car without ABS anymore, having had two accidents which proved to me that I do not have the presence of mind to pump the brakes when the wheels lock). But I did think about it. I really wanted to have the car by now--didn't expect the trade-in to be as low as it was. If they'd offered me the blue book trade value, I'd have taken it. I wanted to have the CD player and the reduced road noise of the new car before heading out on this trip.

Oh well.... life is what happens while you're making other plans, right? :)

Carole C in NOLA on 7/31/02 at 10:23 (091135)

When I bought my present car two years ago, I asked my two big brothers what car in my price range would break down the least. Both brothers are 'car nuts' and one has a lot of trophies from racing cars when he was younger.

One brother said 'First choice, Toyota Camry, second choice, Honda Accord'. The other brother said 'First choice, Honda Accord, second choice, Toyota Camry'. Then they both said the other brother was just as correct, so I guess it was truly a tie.

I thought that was pretty cool, since they live thousands of miles apart and haven't spent much time together in the past 40 years. I went to the Toyota dealer since he was closest, and bought a 2000 Camry Solara which I love.

Carole C

Nancy N on 7/31/02 at 10:39 (091136)

Carole--

A friend of mine told me the same thing! Either the Civic or the Corolla. He figured they both were equally reliable. The Civic was Consumer Reports favorite small car for this year, but the Corolla was redesigned and released early as a 2003, several months ago. So I really think either would have been fine. The Corolla costs slightly less, but by the time I would have added features to make it equivalent to the Civic, I think it would have been about the same. And the Civic was available more easily, so that's where I went.

Now if I could just get the car!!! This waiting is driving me nuts, even though I know it's saving me money....

Carole C in NOLA on 7/31/02 at 13:22 (091155)

This is my first car that's not from Detroit. They say that Toyotas and Hondas last for a long time. I'm hoping that mine will last for 8-10 years, although I'm not completely depending on that being true.

My brothers also said the Corolla was a great car and probably feel the same about the Civic.

I know what you mean about the features. The Camry Solara is like that. A lot of people think it's more expensive than the regular Camry, but really it's not if you want all the features that are standard on it. I enjoy having those little luxuries.

Carole C

Nancy N on 7/31/02 at 13:45 (091157)

It definitely pays to look at the different trim lines before choosing the model you want to buy. I got the EX because I couldn't get the ABS any other way. In the process, I get the windows/locks, CD player, and power moonroof, among other things. I would not have added a moonroof to a car if I had to add features, but I can't deny that I think it's going to be a blast to have one! If I added all that stuff to the Corolla, I think it would have been right around the same price, maybe a little more. But since I would have had to order the car, I didn't bother to do the actual research.

I'm hoping mine will last a good 8-10 years, too. I thought about buying a used one, but my current car was a used car, and I only paid it off in January of last year. That's not a good enough loan-to-duration ratio for me. I don't want to be buying another car as soon as I pay this one off, so I went new.

Here's hoping it's as durable and long-lived as they say!

Carole C in NOLA on 7/31/02 at 15:25 (091172)

You are going to get such a tremendous kick out of having that moonroof! Having something special and luxurious so that your car goes beyond the practical, minimal configuration can make all the difference in how you feel about it, I think. I don't have the moonroof, but I have some luxuries that came standard and make me feel just a little pampered and I like having a car that's nicer than minimal.

I think your Honda Civic may very well last 8-10 years! I think my Solara has a good chance of lasting a long time too. I've owned it for exactly two years this month, and despite driving it to Florida last month I have put only 15,000 miles on it so far. All it has needed is gas, scheduled maintenance, and its weekly carwash.

Carole C

Nancy N on 7/31/02 at 15:56 (091175)

I confess, I can't wait to have the moonroof. I just hope it doesn't spoil me for all future cars. Anybody know what the difference is between a sunroof and a moonroof? They do essentially the same thing, right?

Your Toyota reliability report is encouraging. I think Toyota and Honda are in the same league overall, so I hope the Honda will do as well! :)

Kathy G on 7/31/02 at 18:10 (091193)

I'm not positive but I think a sunroof and moonroof are the same. Or maybe because of the extra UV shield you can pull over the glass to help block out the sun rays is what they consider a sunroof these days. You should have seen us the first time we took out an Accord with a sunroof. The salesman had left it open and we wanted it closed. Well, David finally had to pull off the road to find the switch to do it! He had the headlights going, the windshield wipers, the washers, etc. It was a simple switch right in front of him but since we've never had a sunroof, we didn't know where to look!

I think a sunroof would be great but I have bad allergies (man, I am such a pain!) and when I drive with even the windows down, I sneeze and get so stuffed up. The only time I could probably open it without symptoms would be in the winter! My son, who just bought a 1994 Saab 900 Turbo, his first 'fun' car, claims that all you do, if it's a bad allergy day, is open the sunroof and run the air-conditioner, too. That way, much of the pollen is filtered out. He had a Nissan Maxima that has a sunroof and his new car does, too. He's finally in a financial situation where he can afford to buy a new car but he opted for this Saab because he's always loved them. I think everyone should have at least one car in their lifetime that they just love to drive, whether it's practical or not, so I'm very happy for him.

And Nancy, you should easily get 8-10 years out of your Civic as long as you do regular maintenance. My son drove my 1985 Corolla until 1995 and then, the engine was in good shape but he'd wrecked the interior putting in stereo equipment so he got rid of it. And my brother-in-law is driving my 1990 Corolla and it's going strong. And he doesn't even change the oil every 3,000 miles like he should. The Civic is in the same class; they are just wonderful cars! When I bought my last Corolla, my salesman said that there are Honda people and there are Toyota people but neither are going to make any mechanics rich! By the way, I do think my daughter's Civic is a ball to drive! Whenever I drive it, I have to really watch it because I have a tendency to go way too fast in it! I think you'll be very happy with your new car.

john h on 7/31/02 at 19:04 (091202)

Kathy: I have a moonroof on my Honda Accord and in two years I think I have opened it twice. Unfortunately the model I wanted came only with a moonroof.

Carole C in NOLA on 7/31/02 at 19:21 (091208)

I had a sunroof on my '88 Dodge Daytona, which I bought new in 1987. It was Aggie maroon, and I drove it to the Texas A&M campus every day. I loved that car! It didn't have power windows or a power sunroof, so you open and close it by turning a wheel about the size of the palm of your hand. I used the sunroof more days than not. It felt delicious, and also when it was open that would give me an extra inch of headroom.

Well, maybe it was a moonroof? I always called it a sunroof. Basically, when you opened it, the front of the glass on the roof lifted up about an inch and a half or so and that was all that happened. In the summer that allowed a sultry breeze to flow through your hair.

Carole C

wendyn on 7/31/02 at 23:43 (091230)

I believe that what you're describing is a moon-roof Carole. I have a 2002 Honda Accord which I love. Well, my husband drives it most of the time - so WE love it.

It has a sun roof. It's very cool.

Most of the time I drive the Windstar van - nice - but not so cool.

wendyn on 7/31/02 at 23:50 (091232)

From my basic understanding of cars - a moon roof is the one that just lifts up an inch or so, a sun roof retracts all the way in.

Nancy N on 7/31/02 at 23:51 (091233)

Hmm. I know the moonroof on my hopefully-soon-to-be car is the kind that retracts back into the roof of the car, not the kind that pops up. So does that mean that the sunroof is the one that pops up? I know it probably doesn't matter, I'm just baffled by the need for more than one word for what is essentially the same thing!

john h on 8/01/02 at 12:30 (091276)

Nancy: I hope you finally got an automatic. Seems you and Judy are still resisting automatic transmissions. Hey! it gives your feft foot more rest without all that shifting.

john h on 8/01/02 at 12:34 (091277)

Carole & Nancy N: If that Civic last for 8-10 years it will far out live most marriages. Besides that it want nag you and will be cheap to run and you can stay out all night and it want care.

john h on 8/01/02 at 12:38 (091278)

Moon roof/Sun roof- If you want something that really retracts Mercedes has a model where the entire meal roof retracts and you are now in a convertable. I pulled up besides a Lexus convertable yesterday. Wow! I bet that baby cost $100,000. Dr. Z would look cool in it. He could probably load the EPOS in the back seat and really attract the ladies.

Carole C in NOLA on 8/01/02 at 13:04 (091282)

Good points, John! I won't have to do its laundry, either. But will it take our the trash? Oh well, my ex wouldn't do that either. LOL

Carole C

Nancy N on 8/01/02 at 13:20 (091284)

Hate to disappoint you, John, but I am sticking with the 5-speed. I really like it a lot better--maybe I'm just a control freak and need to be able to dictate what my car does! Or maybe I'm just crazy, I don't know. I just like to feel like I'm actually driving the car, instead of just pointing it in the direction I want to go. :)

wendyn on 8/01/02 at 13:46 (091286)

I'm with Nancy - I love our 5 speed - even if it does hurt my feet a bit...way more fun.

Nancy N on 8/01/02 at 14:51 (091291)

Go Wendy! I always knew there was a reason I liked you :)

Seriously, though, I have driven two automatics that felt like I'd have done better to get out and push--or like they needed to be cranked! They never shifted gears properly. It was so frustrating, because I knew I could have done a better job myself. That's when I decided that I didn't ever want an automatic, unless my left leg fell off!

And it came in handy when I was in Ireland, and my adopted family were quite surprised to discover that they only had to teach me to drive on the left side of the road, and not to drive standard as well.

john h on 8/01/02 at 15:25 (091294)

Nancy & Wendy: I bet you girls would not even like cruise control on an aircraft. I have had a Peugeot, 3 VW Bugs, and some clunkers from way back that were stick shifts. Enough of that. I did like my bugs . I drove cars with buttons on the dash to shift (chrysler). A car that had a shift on the steering wheel but you did not have to use the clutch and the ever famous fluid drive pontiac. Floor shifts always interfered with sitting close to your date and driving with your arm around her. Seems somewhere along the way I drove some car that shifted automatically. What you going to do Nancy when those electric cars get here and you can only shift into reverse?.

Nancy N on 8/01/02 at 16:00 (091298)

Now John.... the car I am selling has cruise control, and so does the one I'm buying! I just don't set it till I'm already in 5th gear, since I only use it on the highway anyhow. (I do remember when my dad got his first standard with cruise and couldn't figure out how that could work!)

Why are the electric cars any different than gas cars in terms of shifting? I'm not understanding how the power source makes any difference to the transmission, but then I am not a gearhead by any stretch of the imagination. We saw SmartCars in Germany, which were tiny little cars and I think they run at least partially on electricty. I can't imagine the Europeans giving up their standard shits, so I am not too worried :)

Kathy G on 8/01/02 at 16:27 (091304)

My 2000 Corolla is my first automatic. In an ideal world, I would own two cars - one standard and one automatic. If I were going to drive in a lot of traffic, had particularly sore feet, or my back was acting up, I'd use the automatic. If I just wanted to have fun, I'd use the five-speed! No matter how old I get, I think I will always love to drive a standard! And Nancy, wait until you see how responsive your Civic is!

You're right about how unusual it is to know how to drive a standard. My daughter is 21 and says about 70% of her college friends don't know how to drive a five-speed. And that includes guys, too. In my day, it was mostly the women who didn't know how to drive standards. She says it's actually very nice for her because it takes care of the problem of having to refuse to let anyone borrow her car. It's not an issue; no one knows how to drive it!

Nancy N on 8/01/02 at 16:33 (091305)

I hear ya! I only know how to drive it because my father insisted that I learn before getting my license, just so that I could drive anything that might come my way, if necessary. I hated it at first, but once I got the hang of it, I really loved it. Especially after driving those automatics. One of the things I hated the most in those cars was that I couldn't accelerate like I wanted to when getting on the highway. I don't have that problem in a 5-speed.

I have taught two people to drive it--one was a guy, a friend of mine in college, and his first car was then a standard. The other is my best friend, who wanted to learn just for kicks (but was a very good student--I think she thought I was nuts with some of the things I had her try, but she sure learned!), and now owns a standard as well. Her reasoning was much like mine for this car--why should I pay more money for something I don't want? Oh--and my brother, who got to learn on a Honda instead of a Dodge Omni Miser like me, also prefers it, though he is coming to like the automatic in his Acura Integra as well.

It looks like I will be driving my Saturn to Lake George, NY this weekend, which is disappointing (I want to play with my new toy, dernit!), but it will be OK, too--I'm kind of reconciled to that idea now. It's always been a good car. But I still can't wait to get my hands on the new one!

Julie on 8/01/02 at 17:22 (091311)

Nancy, I turned my nose up at automatics too. Then I got my first automatic Nissan Micra, a lovely little car with NCVT (Nissan Continuous Variable Transmission: it shifts beautifully). I'm currently on my third. I love it, and realised from the first week of driving it, once I got over the shock of the change after 40 years of shifting gears, that NOT having to shift gears leaves your mind free to do the driving. My driving has improved since the change. It's definitely not just 'pointing' the car.

And it's ever so much easier on the left foot, leg and hip, especially if you do a lot of driving in traffic.

Nancy N on 8/01/02 at 18:04 (091325)

Julie--

I've heard of the CVTs, but there aren't very many available here yet. Glad to hear that it sounds like a good thing. I'll still take the 5-speed for now--I know that my two bad automatic experiences are an awfully small sample, but it was enough to make me wary till I know more. Driving standard is pretty automatic for me--I rarely have to put much conscious thought into it--so I would hope that there wouldn't be too much difference either way, though I could be wrong about that, too. I have driven two automatics lately--one Volvo on a few road trips, and a Chevy, I think, in Florida (rental car) and didn't notice much of a big difference in that regard, though I wasn't doing significant quantities of driving.

I just like being in control of the car, I guess. And I don't mind using both feet--in fact, I kind of like it. Though I reserve the right to change my mind as the technology improves :)

Julie on 8/02/02 at 02:30 (091363)

Hi Nancy

Controlling the car? With all due respect to our left feet, that's a job for our minds. Automatic transmission leaves the attention completely free to watch the road. Before I changed, I wouldn't have believed there could be a difference, but there was - for me, at any rate. There's a kind of subtlety to it that's hard to describe, but the important thing is that I feel more in control of the car now than I did before, despite the huge increase in London traffic. Just one example: not having to shift down or risk stalling when you have to brake suddenly really makes a difference (yes, I know one shouldn't ever need to brake suddenly, but when going around Piccadilly Circus with cars shooting out at speed from every direction, it's sometimes unavoidable).

When you're a little old lady like me, and the technology has improved even further, and the traffic is even worse and you're ready to give your left leg a well-deserved rest, you'll probably try it, and then I bet you'll believe me. Honest - I felt exactly as you do for my first four decades of driving (and used exactly the same words) but I'm a convert. (It must be something to do with our age, eh John?)

Have a beautiful weekend, Nancy, and please remember me to Lake George.

_

wendyn on 8/02/02 at 07:11 (091373)

I think it's easier to control a standard while driving on ice. You can gear down instead of breaking. I have no idea if this is a big issue for you or not Nancy - but it is for me!!!!

Nancy N on 8/02/02 at 07:32 (091375)

Wendy--

My dad has always preferred standards for snow driving. He feels it's really important to have control over the car in snow and ice. I'd tend to agree. I've heard other people say they think automatics are better, but I've never been able to figure out why...though some of the newer cars have traction control--not that I understand how that's supposed to work, since I've never driven one.

Nancy N on 8/02/02 at 07:39 (091377)

Julie--

I understand your point, though I don't feel that my attention is compromised by driving stick. It's not as though I have to look away from the road to shift gears, and it's such an automatic process for me that I just do it without consciously thinking about it--almost like blinking. I am more interested in controlling what the insides of the car are doing--and like I said, a lot of this comes from driving several automatics that couldn't seem to figure out when to shift gears. It drove me completely nuts, because I knew I could do a better job than the supposed automatic transmission was doing. And it was a dangerous situation in certain types of driving, when you really needed to GO but the transmission couldn't seem to oblige.

I may someday change my mind. But for now, I'm sticking with my 5-speed :) As for my left leg, I've never understood why everyone is concerned about the left leg and not the right, which is also an active part of driving, regardless of what kind of car you have...

(Are automatics more common in your part of the world than they used to be, Julie? I was told 6 years ago that you could get them in the UK, but it was difficult and they were very expensive, mostly due to lack of interest. Has that changed?)

wendyn on 8/02/02 at 08:29 (091388)

I don't know how traction control works, but I have it in the van. If I'm driving on ice, it sometimes kicks in - especially driving up icy hills.

I don't want to talk about ice and snow anymore though. It's too sad.

john h on 8/02/02 at 08:51 (091393)

Nancy Nancy Nancy--check you spelling----

Nancy N on 8/02/02 at 08:53 (091394)

OOOOOPS!!!!!

Boy, can't sneak anything past you, John!!!

Kathy G on 8/02/02 at 09:35 (091403)

Well, while we're on the subject, and we certainly seem to be:) - I definitely prefer a standard to an automatic in the snow. I'm not sure I see a whole lot of difference in ice since there's not a whole lot of control no matter what you're driving! But, I had to re-learn driving in snow when I got my automatic, it's a different process altogether!

Wendy, how many months of summer do you actually have where you are? We seem to have become a two-season climate here in NE, pretty much a week or two of spring and a week or two of fall, and everything else is winter and summer. Who knows why? Global warming, ozone, jet stream shift, El Nino? I just really miss those crisp, autumn days we used to have when I was a kid and those breezy, warmish days of the spring. They're becoming a thing of the past. Does it seem that way in Canada, too?

JudyS on 8/02/02 at 10:59 (091411)

Well actually, John, I have both and like both equally. My standard-shift is an ancient RX-7 sports car and it just wouldn't be 'right' if it had an automatic. What I like about it is that it gives me a sense that I'm really managing, manipulating and controlling the car and that can be kind of fun with a little sports car and a big, middle-aged ego! I like my 9-year-old Explorer's automatic because it's simpler and that can be a welcome relief especially on a long road trip.

As I've been shopping for a car to replace the Explorer, I'm seeing cars with both sun and moon roofs. There are two layers of sliding panels. The upper one (the one that melds with the roof of the car) can open leaving the lower one closed. The lower one is shaded - which creates the so-called 'moon roof'. However, if the lower one is also opened, leaving a complete opening to the sky, that is referred to as a 'sun-roof'.

I've just returned from my month in Michigan and apparently the first thing I needed to talk about was cars! But the fact is that I've certainly missed reading everyone's thoughts and ideas.

Hope your respective summers are enjoyable.

Nancy N on 8/02/02 at 11:09 (091413)

Hey, I like the Moon Shift idea, Judy. Does that work kind of like the tides?

Welcome back :)

Carole C in NOLA on 8/02/02 at 12:14 (091417)

JudyS on 8/02/02 at 13:07 (091425)

Thank you, Carole - hey, yours is one of the email addresses that got lost in my XP shift - can you drop me a line? Thank you. :)

john h on 8/02/02 at 13:16 (091427)

Judy: thank you for your explanation of a Moon Roof. I guess my Honda Accord qualifies since it has the metal roof that moves back and forth with a button and also a slinding patition that covers the interior completely. Fifteen or so years ago you could still order a Cadillac with a manual shift. You had to pay a very large premium to get this option. What sort of person orders a big cadillac with a stick shift??? Julie do they have a Rolls with a stick shift? I remember riding in a Rolls taxi in London many years ago and as I recall there were a number of Mercedes taxis. If there are any real car gurus here you will certainly remember the Gull Winged Mercedes 2 door sports car. I was in Frankfurt showroom viewing one and a new one cost a wooping $6500 U.S. Anyone want to venture a guess on what year that may have been?.

Re: Judy, welcome back! )

Carole C in NOLA on 8/02/02 at 13:18 (091428)

Judy, I'm (email removed) , and CLCinNOLA on AIM. I may not answer right away because I don't read my e-mail every day, but I try to read it at least once or twice a week.

Carole C

Re: Rolls stick?

Julie on 8/02/02 at 16:39 (091452)

Dunno, John, about the Rolls.

But were there really Rolls taxis? When?

Year in Frankfurt: 1958? Thereabouts?

wendyn on 8/02/02 at 18:53 (091454)

Kathy - I suppose in general we (and this would only be Calgary - not the rest of Canada) would consider fall to be mid September to late October. Winter would be from then until late March. April and May would be spring. June through maybe mid September would be September.

Having said that - I have seen t-shirt weather even in January and February, and I have seen snow in July in August.

It's the unpredictable nature that really gets on peoples nerves. We've just had about 6 weeks of hot dry weather. Now it's POURING out with possible snow tonight. The change took place in about a 48 hour period.

wendyn on 8/02/02 at 18:55 (091455)

September should read summer...I'm in a hurry!

Re: Wendyn - your weather

Kathy G on 8/03/02 at 09:16 (091474)

Wendy,

That's really interesting. Your time frame for the seasons is exactly the same as that of New Hampshire. Of course, you you have much more snow in the winter than we do and much colder temperatures, too. And I can't believe you've got snow in the forecast in early August!

One of the things I love about these boards is being able to learn about weather and customs in other parts of the world and US. Thanks for sharing with me! And maybe in another 48 hours, it'll be hot again! (What do the poor farmers do in this kind of climate?)

Kathy G on 8/03/02 at 09:23 (091476)

John,

My husband had a friend who had a gull wing. Thirty years ago, when we first married, he brought me to see it. The fellow was an importer who travled in extensively in Europe and he picked it up over there. I know he finally sold it for a huge profit and at an incredibly high price. So, I 'm guessing if you saw it for $6500 American, it must have been 35 or 40 years ago, right?

john h on 8/04/02 at 10:01 (091537)

You are right Kathy in the late 50's

wendyn on 8/04/02 at 11:56 (091540)

Kathy, our farmers have given up this year. The late snowfall followed by six weeks of bone dry hot temperatures did them in. To add insult to injury, they've also been over run this year by grashoppers, and now some unseasonably cold weather. (We broke a record low for this weekend that had stood for over 100 years)

john h on 8/04/02 at 16:57 (091563)

what are the major farm products in your area Wendy? Ours is soy beans and we are in deed the chicken capital of the world with Tyson. Walmart is no farm prodcut but their headquarters began and still exist in the nothern mountain town of Bentonville, Arkansas. Seems like wheat should be your product if you are in the plains.

wendyn on 8/04/02 at 17:26 (091566)

John, our major industry is oil and gas. Farmers here grow canola, wheat, barley, mustard. We have cattle ranchers too, and with the drought there isn't any feed for them.

john h on 8/04/02 at 18:59 (091570)

At one point in my flying job I would fly food in for the cattle and sheep in places in Wyoming that were snow bound. When winter sets in near the Rockies many of the ranchers are frequenly locked in for long periods. I have brought food to many a house in Montana and Wyoming where the snow drifts reached the second story windows and the farmers lived on dirt roads and were many miles from any thing.

wendyn on 8/04/02 at 21:07 (091580)

Maybe you will fly in some food to my house this winter John!!!

Did you ever get a chance to try Sol?

It is too cold for Sol here right now. Today is a red wine day. Would be brandy if I had it (or liked it).

john h on 8/05/02 at 13:30 (091642)

So far I have not found any SOL Wendy. I guess I will have to go to an upscale booze store. I will be looking---