Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

OK - I've really done my feet in!

Posted by Kathy G on 8/01/02 at 16:46 (091308)

Well, I came home from vacation and my feet have gotten steadily worse. Yesterday and today is the worst I can ever remember them being. Really, the worst. I have no idea what I did to them. I don't think it was walking on the beach because after one walk over the mud flats during the early part of the first week, I realized that I couldn't do that. I did wear Tevas to go over to the beach to swim but it was only a couple of minutes. I didn't go barefoot around the house, as I never have. I wore my regular shoes and orthotics like a good girl.

I suspect it was packing up and cleaning the house we rented, which was large (actually, larger than my own house, and on two levels). It's not like my husband didn't offer to help. But I've always done the packing and he's always packed and unpacked the car. Then I drove home which took 4 hours (with a pretty long stop, though). Then I unpacked. I guess then I should have really rested but I didn't. Since we returned, I've gone swimming a few times, which always makes my heels kind of pull and often results in them hurting. But it's not a big deal; I mean, I 'd never give up swimming. I also went food shopping on Tuesday, so maybe I've just overdone it. But, man, my heels hurt so much, I can't believe it. Oh yeah, I just remembered that I also went to the Library. What did I think? That I had normal feet or something?

I'm following the usual regimen but it's been so long, I'd forgotten what a pain it is. I always stretch several times a day but now I am back to icing and the stupid resting. It's beautiful out and I can't work in the yard and my flowers need my attention. Oh well, just a bump in the road, I guess. Actually, I shouldn't complain because today is the first day that the pain in my calf isn't terrible, so maybe I'm going to respond quickly to conservative treatment. I had to rest yesterday afternoon because I had a migraine so maybe that was a blessing in disguise. We had planned on going to the lake. As I always say, I could have much worse problems and I truly understand that. It's just that I can complain here and no one thinks I'm a wimp! After a long day at work, I'm sure the last thing my husband wants to hear is how much my feet hurt. He's the one working, not me. Well, I am rambling. No need for anyone to respond, I feel better just for having vented my complete, utter frustration!!!

Re: OK - I've really done my feet in!

Carole C in NOLA on 8/01/02 at 17:27 (091314)

Kathy, I'm so sorry to hear you are in such pain!!!!!

Don't pay any attention to those flowers. Your feet just HAVE to come first, for now. There will be other times when your feet are better. I know you're icing but you might try icing twice as much. Well, you don't want to get frostbite, so how about the same amount twice as often.

Packing and cleaning a house can be really hard on your feet, especially a house on two levels. I think you are right, that maybe this is what did it, along with the grocery store, library, and all the rest of it. Maybe the Tevas aren't supportive enough for you, but then like you said you only wore them for a few minutes.

It can be so aggravating to go back to a restrictive PF lifestyle after 'tasting freedom' and being able to do more things. But you know what to do, right? You know you will get better. You will! Meanwhile, we are all here for you so go ahead and vent if/when you need to.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 8/01/02 at 17:50 (091315)

Dear Kathy,

I'm so sorry that your feet are worse right now. It's discouraging, I know: I've been down that path several times! Just when you think you are at a certain level of improvement, wham! - they hurt again, sometimes even worse than before. And sometimes you just can't figure out why or what you did to cause it. The good side is that it seems to me that my feet improve again quicker than they used to months ago. I hope it will be that way for you.

I didn't mean for this post to be about me, but I am frustrated right now not knowing what a big 'blister' is on my toe. I THOUGHT I had poison ivy - looked like it, itched like it, but after 3 days, the toe beside my big toe is getting better, but this 'blister' (for lack of a better way of describing it) on my big toe is getting bigger. It doesn't hurt, isn't red or oozing, but it is about 1/2' in diameter- quite round and really sticks up. NOthing has rubbed on it that I can tell. My SAS shoes have a big toe box and my Birk straps don't touch it. It still itches, but not as much as it did. I called my dr. who was running 2 hours behind and couldn't see me today. The nurse talked to me and said to soak 2 or 3 times a day in Epsom salts and warm water and made an appointment for me for after our first day of school Monday. (They're out of the office tomorrow.) She said if it got better in the meantime to cancel the appointment and if it got noticeably worse to go to Acute Care. It's so big and awful looking that it's scary, but it really isn't bothering me that much. Just seems like we go from one thing to another, don't we?!

Well, Kathy, I DO hope that you feel improvement very soon! Hang in there!

Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 8/01/02 at 18:01 (091322)

Suzanne, could it be a bug bite, or a spider bite maybe? I hope that whatever it is goes away soon.

Carole C

Re: Thanks, Carole, for caring!

Suzanne D on 8/01/02 at 18:36 (091329)

The nurse asked me the same thing over the phone. All I remember is that Monday afternoon while wearing my SAS shoes and socks, I became aware that my big toe was itching. It was one of those times when you are busy and just sort of notice it on one level but don't stop to do anything about it. Then that night I took off my shoes and socks and saw the blister and the red places on the toe next to it. I assumed poison ivy and started putting cream on it which has helped with the itching. I will say that since the 30 minute soak in Epsom Salts about 2 hours ago it has not itched at all, but it certainly shows no signs of getting any smaller.

As much as I look forward to a new school year, I always get a little 'jittery', and this isn't helping! :-) I guess I'll just learn to be more thankful for my feet after this experience!

Carole C in NOLA on 8/01/02 at 18:59 (091335)

I do care, and I hope it's not a spider bite. They can be kind of bad sometimes! I'd suggest keeping an eye on it to make sure it doesn't turn some icky color like brown or black or navy blue. I've never seen a spider that bit me, but I've sure had my share of spider bites. The Epsom salts sound soothing. Next time, I will try them!

When I had to fly last September, right after 9/11, I was terrified to an extent that I just can't begin to describe. Like a lot of us, I really didn't know what was going on. On the plane, I broke out in hives all over. They went away within hours after I got to Hawaii and got off the plane. They were 1-2 inches across for me, but maybe they vary in size. The only reason I mention this is that you mentioned having the jitters. It could be that this will go away once you get into the swing of a new school year. :)

Carole C

margie p on 8/01/02 at 19:18 (091338)

Suzanne
I know what you mean about the beginning of the school year jitters. I get them too. It does sound like this could be a bite of some kind or something your foot came in contact with that it is reacting to. sometimes some benadryl can help with the itching and to quell any reaction-- but you will get sleepy. Sorry you're having another foot problem
Margie

Necee on 8/02/02 at 07:51 (091380)

Hi Kathy,

Now don't let this pain get you down. I'm sure its because you have been on your feet more than usual. You know how it is, when we are busy rushing around getting things done...we sometimes don't realize how much we have been on our feet until its too late and they are hurting. Try to rest as much as you can, and take breaks throughout the day.

Don't feel bad about whinning, if it makes you feel better then go right ahead, we are all hear to lend support to oneanother.

Happy trails......

Necee

Mahatmelissama on 8/05/02 at 13:15 (091638)

I hear you...)))))hug(((((
everyone has said everything so well here...
just letting you know you know you aren't alone

Carole C in NOLA on 8/01/02 at 17:27 (091314)

Kathy, I'm so sorry to hear you are in such pain!!!!!

Don't pay any attention to those flowers. Your feet just HAVE to come first, for now. There will be other times when your feet are better. I know you're icing but you might try icing twice as much. Well, you don't want to get frostbite, so how about the same amount twice as often.

Packing and cleaning a house can be really hard on your feet, especially a house on two levels. I think you are right, that maybe this is what did it, along with the grocery store, library, and all the rest of it. Maybe the Tevas aren't supportive enough for you, but then like you said you only wore them for a few minutes.

It can be so aggravating to go back to a restrictive PF lifestyle after 'tasting freedom' and being able to do more things. But you know what to do, right? You know you will get better. You will! Meanwhile, we are all here for you so go ahead and vent if/when you need to.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 8/01/02 at 17:50 (091315)

Dear Kathy,

I'm so sorry that your feet are worse right now. It's discouraging, I know: I've been down that path several times! Just when you think you are at a certain level of improvement, wham! - they hurt again, sometimes even worse than before. And sometimes you just can't figure out why or what you did to cause it. The good side is that it seems to me that my feet improve again quicker than they used to months ago. I hope it will be that way for you.

I didn't mean for this post to be about me, but I am frustrated right now not knowing what a big 'blister' is on my toe. I THOUGHT I had poison ivy - looked like it, itched like it, but after 3 days, the toe beside my big toe is getting better, but this 'blister' (for lack of a better way of describing it) on my big toe is getting bigger. It doesn't hurt, isn't red or oozing, but it is about 1/2' in diameter- quite round and really sticks up. NOthing has rubbed on it that I can tell. My SAS shoes have a big toe box and my Birk straps don't touch it. It still itches, but not as much as it did. I called my dr. who was running 2 hours behind and couldn't see me today. The nurse talked to me and said to soak 2 or 3 times a day in Epsom salts and warm water and made an appointment for me for after our first day of school Monday. (They're out of the office tomorrow.) She said if it got better in the meantime to cancel the appointment and if it got noticeably worse to go to Acute Care. It's so big and awful looking that it's scary, but it really isn't bothering me that much. Just seems like we go from one thing to another, don't we?!

Well, Kathy, I DO hope that you feel improvement very soon! Hang in there!

Carole C in NOLA on 8/01/02 at 18:01 (091322)

Suzanne, could it be a bug bite, or a spider bite maybe? I hope that whatever it is goes away soon.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 8/01/02 at 18:36 (091329)

The nurse asked me the same thing over the phone. All I remember is that Monday afternoon while wearing my SAS shoes and socks, I became aware that my big toe was itching. It was one of those times when you are busy and just sort of notice it on one level but don't stop to do anything about it. Then that night I took off my shoes and socks and saw the blister and the red places on the toe next to it. I assumed poison ivy and started putting cream on it which has helped with the itching. I will say that since the 30 minute soak in Epsom Salts about 2 hours ago it has not itched at all, but it certainly shows no signs of getting any smaller.

As much as I look forward to a new school year, I always get a little 'jittery', and this isn't helping! :-) I guess I'll just learn to be more thankful for my feet after this experience!

Carole C in NOLA on 8/01/02 at 18:59 (091335)

I do care, and I hope it's not a spider bite. They can be kind of bad sometimes! I'd suggest keeping an eye on it to make sure it doesn't turn some icky color like brown or black or navy blue. I've never seen a spider that bit me, but I've sure had my share of spider bites. The Epsom salts sound soothing. Next time, I will try them!

When I had to fly last September, right after 9/11, I was terrified to an extent that I just can't begin to describe. Like a lot of us, I really didn't know what was going on. On the plane, I broke out in hives all over. They went away within hours after I got to Hawaii and got off the plane. They were 1-2 inches across for me, but maybe they vary in size. The only reason I mention this is that you mentioned having the jitters. It could be that this will go away once you get into the swing of a new school year. :)

Carole C

margie p on 8/01/02 at 19:18 (091338)

Suzanne
I know what you mean about the beginning of the school year jitters. I get them too. It does sound like this could be a bite of some kind or something your foot came in contact with that it is reacting to. sometimes some benadryl can help with the itching and to quell any reaction-- but you will get sleepy. Sorry you're having another foot problem
Margie

Necee on 8/02/02 at 07:51 (091380)

Hi Kathy,

Now don't let this pain get you down. I'm sure its because you have been on your feet more than usual. You know how it is, when we are busy rushing around getting things done...we sometimes don't realize how much we have been on our feet until its too late and they are hurting. Try to rest as much as you can, and take breaks throughout the day.

Don't feel bad about whinning, if it makes you feel better then go right ahead, we are all hear to lend support to oneanother.

Happy trails......

Necee

Mahatmelissama on 8/05/02 at 13:15 (091638)

I hear you...)))))hug(((((
everyone has said everything so well here...
just letting you know you know you aren't alone