Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Historical information

Posted by Lara T on 8/01/02 at 18:51 (091333)

As I continue (avoid) my 'spring housecleaning' I thought the next article had some interesting information - doesn't change much. From an article: TARSAL TUNNEL SYNDROME: A REVIEW OF THE LITERATURE, by John T.C. Lau, M.D. (Orthopaedic Research Fellog, UToronto), Time R. Daniels, M.D., F.R.C.S.(C, Asst. Prof, UToronto & consultant at St. Michael's-Wellesley Hospital, Toronto,Foot & ankle International, Vol. 20, No.3, March 1999.

The term 'tarsal tunnel syndrome' was first used in 1962.
Its signs and symptoms were describing in 1960.
Originally compared to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, 'further studies have shown it is a different clinical entity with respect to anatomy, cause, pathophysiology, clinical presentation, and response to nonsurgical and surgical treatment.

164 patients: Most common causes:
trauma (17%)
varicosities (13%)
heel varus (11%)
fibrosis (9%)
heel valgus (8%)
broadly classified as trauma, space-occupying lesions, and deformities of the foot.

'The symptoms of tarsal tunnel syndrome can be diffuse and poorly localized, and the physical findings can be variable. This makes tarsal tnnel syndrome a problem that can be often undiagnosed or misdiagnosed.