Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ouch!!!

Posted by shanl on 8/01/02 at 20:47 (091346)

I'm having surgery for plantar fascitis and heel spur in a few weeks. Just wanted to see if anyone who has had surgery has had any problems after.

Re: ouch!!!

kay on 8/01/02 at 21:24 (091349)

yes, there are many posters here who have had lots of problems. i say don't do the surgery unless you have tried everything you can to cure you another way. many say they are worse than before the surgery. i had it six weeks ago. i've been trying to get rid of mine for 20 years. so i had no other choice as i tried everything else.
what surgery are you having? endoscopic or open?
kat

Pauline on 8/02/02 at 14:42 (091439)

Kay is correct. Please do your homework before you turn your feet in for surgery. Begin by reading Scott's wonderful book then follow the surgery board on this site for several months. You may change your mind.

Surgery should be your last resort, it comes with no guarantee that says you'll be pain free afterwards. There are plenty of posts on the surgery board that prove out this statement.

Barbara G. on 8/04/02 at 11:56 (091541)

I had PF release & Heel Spur removal surgery on 7/11/02. I've had heel pain for about 6 years & prior to surgery I've had orthodics, had the foot wrapped along with cortizone shots & used a cam-walker for 8 weeks with no satisfactory results. So far I've had very little pain since the surgery but again, I've put no pressure on the foot & have keep it elevated. I had the stitches removed on Thursday (3 weeks after surgery)& just started to put pressure on my foot. I start PT tomorrow so wish me luck!!!

Re: To Barbara ouch!!!

Pauline on 8/04/02 at 14:23 (091554)

Just wanted you to know I wish you loads of luck. We really need to see more success stories posted about surgery. Your going on the prayer list
for a speedy 100% recovery with no complications.

AJ on 8/05/02 at 13:19 (091640)

Hi. I had pf surgery open release in my right foot 2 years ago this September. I have had NO problems since. I even went thru a pregnency. It was worth it to me!

Re: weight bearing

Gail on 8/10/02 at 09:16 (092116)

I had surgery 2 weeks ago and have been told not to put weight on it for at least 3-4 weeks. I was originally told 2 weeks without weight and then light weight. How long did you have to use crutches with no weight or light weight.

Barbara G on 8/10/02 at 11:40 (092126)

As long as the stitches were in I was on crutches with no pressure. At first I was having the stitches taken out after 2 weeks, but the doctor wanted to play it safe so they were kept on for another week. He did say I could start 'testing the waters' by putting pressure on the front part of my foot, which I did, just alittle. The stitches were taken out on 8/1 & I started PT on Monday, 8/5. PT is really helping out (see my post from 8/9). The doctor warned that I would have some discomfort & it would feel like before the surgery & he's right. First thing in the morning my leg is tight but it does wear off - but it's not painful, it's more of a discomfort. I also still have some inflamation which the doctor says won't go away for about 3-4 months. Good luck to everyone.

kay on 8/01/02 at 21:24 (091349)

yes, there are many posters here who have had lots of problems. i say don't do the surgery unless you have tried everything you can to cure you another way. many say they are worse than before the surgery. i had it six weeks ago. i've been trying to get rid of mine for 20 years. so i had no other choice as i tried everything else.
what surgery are you having? endoscopic or open?
kat

Pauline on 8/02/02 at 14:42 (091439)

Kay is correct. Please do your homework before you turn your feet in for surgery. Begin by reading Scott's wonderful book then follow the surgery board on this site for several months. You may change your mind.

Surgery should be your last resort, it comes with no guarantee that says you'll be pain free afterwards. There are plenty of posts on the surgery board that prove out this statement.

Barbara G. on 8/04/02 at 11:56 (091541)

I had PF release & Heel Spur removal surgery on 7/11/02. I've had heel pain for about 6 years & prior to surgery I've had orthodics, had the foot wrapped along with cortizone shots & used a cam-walker for 8 weeks with no satisfactory results. So far I've had very little pain since the surgery but again, I've put no pressure on the foot & have keep it elevated. I had the stitches removed on Thursday (3 weeks after surgery)& just started to put pressure on my foot. I start PT tomorrow so wish me luck!!!

Pauline on 8/04/02 at 14:23 (091554)

Just wanted you to know I wish you loads of luck. We really need to see more success stories posted about surgery. Your going on the prayer list
for a speedy 100% recovery with no complications.

AJ on 8/05/02 at 13:19 (091640)

Hi. I had pf surgery open release in my right foot 2 years ago this September. I have had NO problems since. I even went thru a pregnency. It was worth it to me!

Gail on 8/10/02 at 09:16 (092116)

I had surgery 2 weeks ago and have been told not to put weight on it for at least 3-4 weeks. I was originally told 2 weeks without weight and then light weight. How long did you have to use crutches with no weight or light weight.

Barbara G on 8/10/02 at 11:40 (092126)

As long as the stitches were in I was on crutches with no pressure. At first I was having the stitches taken out after 2 weeks, but the doctor wanted to play it safe so they were kept on for another week. He did say I could start 'testing the waters' by putting pressure on the front part of my foot, which I did, just alittle. The stitches were taken out on 8/1 & I started PT on Monday, 8/5. PT is really helping out (see my post from 8/9). The doctor warned that I would have some discomfort & it would feel like before the surgery & he's right. First thing in the morning my leg is tight but it does wear off - but it's not painful, it's more of a discomfort. I also still have some inflamation which the doctor says won't go away for about 3-4 months. Good luck to everyone.