Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Julie--Lake George

Posted by Nancy N on 8/02/02 at 07:42 (091378)

Julie--

I'm heading out to Lake George in a few hours--I'll definitely be thinking of you when I get there. I still have half a roll of film left from Europe, so I'm taking my camera along, and if I get any good pictures, I'll let you know. The weather is supposed to be beautiful this weekend, so hopefully it'll be conducive to some good photography, and some boating as well :)

Re: Julie--Lake George

Necee on 8/02/02 at 07:52 (091381)

Have fun Nancy!!! Sounds like an exciting weekend.
Enjoy those cookies!!

Happy trails....

Necee

Julie on 8/02/02 at 08:37 (091390)

....and swimming, I hope! Have a lovely time.

Back to driving. I agree with you and Wendy about ice driving - one reason why I never even considered automatic transmission in the States. We don't have to worry very much about ice in London, though. It's never cold enough for even our rare snow to lie for more than a couple of hours (and Wendy, if you think we're lucky, think again - I really miss snow!)

Yes, automatic cars are pretty routine here now, and not much more expensive than shift.

Nancy N on 8/02/02 at 08:50 (091392)

Yes, I am taking all the necessary swim gear with me, too! I think it'll be a great weekend.

As far as snow goes, have you ever read Bill Bryson? In Notes from a Small Island, where he takes a tour around his adopted country before returning to the US, he comments on a newspaper article about a 'blizzard' in East Anglia, where there were some 3 or 4 inches of snow on the ground--and his proposed letter to the editor, where he informed them that a blizzard is when you can't get your fron door open, and drifts are what leaves you unable to find your car until spring.

When I was in Ireland, in the winter of 1996 (one of the worst on record in the Northeast), the mother looked into the sky concernedly one morning and said 'Oh, I think we're about to be deluged with snow.' I immediately said 'Oh, no,' and then stopped, and said 'When you say 'deluged,' just how much snow are we talking about?'

'Oh, three, maybe four inches,' she replied in all seriousness. I couldn't help it--I burst out laughing.

Necee on 8/02/02 at 07:52 (091381)

Have fun Nancy!!! Sounds like an exciting weekend.
Enjoy those cookies!!

Happy trails....

Necee

Julie on 8/02/02 at 08:37 (091390)

....and swimming, I hope! Have a lovely time.

Back to driving. I agree with you and Wendy about ice driving - one reason why I never even considered automatic transmission in the States. We don't have to worry very much about ice in London, though. It's never cold enough for even our rare snow to lie for more than a couple of hours (and Wendy, if you think we're lucky, think again - I really miss snow!)

Yes, automatic cars are pretty routine here now, and not much more expensive than shift.

Nancy N on 8/02/02 at 08:50 (091392)

Yes, I am taking all the necessary swim gear with me, too! I think it'll be a great weekend.

As far as snow goes, have you ever read Bill Bryson? In Notes from a Small Island, where he takes a tour around his adopted country before returning to the US, he comments on a newspaper article about a 'blizzard' in East Anglia, where there were some 3 or 4 inches of snow on the ground--and his proposed letter to the editor, where he informed them that a blizzard is when you can't get your fron door open, and drifts are what leaves you unable to find your car until spring.

When I was in Ireland, in the winter of 1996 (one of the worst on record in the Northeast), the mother looked into the sky concernedly one morning and said 'Oh, I think we're about to be deluged with snow.' I immediately said 'Oh, no,' and then stopped, and said 'When you say 'deluged,' just how much snow are we talking about?'

'Oh, three, maybe four inches,' she replied in all seriousness. I couldn't help it--I burst out laughing.