Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Getting rid of callous heel skin

Posted by Dennis on 8/02/02 at 14:08 (091435)

I tend to step quite strongly on my heels. This results in callous dry skin build-up on my heels quite frequently (every two weeks).

Altough I remove the callous dry skin regularly through filing, the callous dry skin build-up is back in about two weeks. Whenever I forget to file on time, the callous dry skin build-up cracks and hurts extremely.
I also use foot creams to keep the skin moist and soft but this does not help much.

Is there any way you would suggest me to get rid of this problem for once and all.

Your prompt response will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Dennis.

Re: Getting rid of callous heel skin

Julie on 8/02/02 at 16:30 (091451)

I'd be inclined to make a regular appointment with a chiropodist who would keep the hard skin under control with a scalpel - I doubt whether filing is really effective.

I'd also try using a richer cream, more often. Scholl do a good one - I forget its name (something like Enriched Skin Food): its the richest of all their products and comes (in England, anyway) in a tube.

Do you wear sandals a lot? Without socks? That can cause cracked heels.

paula on 8/02/02 at 18:29 (091453)

Use a sander/scraper every time your in the shower. Apply either conditioner {yes hair conditioner} or cuticle remover, and scrub with a sander or scraper, then apply cetaphil lotion on afterwards [especially before going to bed]. Get the one in the green tub or jar. Works great,and I wear sandles everyday, with no dryness or cracking. You just have to keep up on it, because my feet use to look terible!

Julie on 8/02/02 at 16:30 (091451)

I'd be inclined to make a regular appointment with a chiropodist who would keep the hard skin under control with a scalpel - I doubt whether filing is really effective.

I'd also try using a richer cream, more often. Scholl do a good one - I forget its name (something like Enriched Skin Food): its the richest of all their products and comes (in England, anyway) in a tube.

Do you wear sandals a lot? Without socks? That can cause cracked heels.

paula on 8/02/02 at 18:29 (091453)

Use a sander/scraper every time your in the shower. Apply either conditioner {yes hair conditioner} or cuticle remover, and scrub with a sander or scraper, then apply cetaphil lotion on afterwards [especially before going to bed]. Get the one in the green tub or jar. Works great,and I wear sandles everyday, with no dryness or cracking. You just have to keep up on it, because my feet use to look terible!