Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Haglund's deformity?

Posted by Roddy W on 8/03/02 at 02:38 (091465)

I am a tradesman, and have developed a fairly hard lump on my heel just above where the Achilles tendon is attached. It is ver painful walking and feels that the tendon is straining. Sometimes it is like a burning sensation. It is affecting both my work and social life. I am 55. I am taking Diclofenac Sodium 50mg twice a day.This drug affects my blood pressure. I have been suffering over 2 years now.Therapy hasn't helped, I do have orthotics in my shoes now. Should I rest up more?. Am I doing more damage by walking on it,or will I make it worse by excessive walking?.
Limping has other effects and is tiring. I am paying to see an orthopaedic surgeon soon. Really fed up, can someone give me hope and advice. What is the prognosis? I live in the UK...........

Re: Haglund's deformity?

paula on 8/03/02 at 19:26 (091500)

I feel for you, I've been dealing with this for the last few months and I've seen an orthopedic surgeon and he says the bumps themselves{ spurs, or pump bumps are the other names} don't cause the pain, but he hasnt' quite helped me either! I also being treated for back pain, so im going to get a second opinion on my foot from a podiatrist, since they see feet all the time. Maybe you should see a pod? My orthpedic is playing the waiting game and giving me drugs. Good luck, if you get any good advice, please post it. Thanks, paula

paula on 8/04/02 at 14:36 (091555)

Hi Roddy, you didn't mention if it's work related. I had to file workers comp, because I can't afford to go to all the doctors that I've had to see. I've seen a few and I still don't have answers as to what to do. I think they just hope it will go away on it's own.I work all day on my feet, in a awkward standing position. My Orthopedic thinks that maybe my back is causing the pain. I have 3 herniated discs in my lower back. Personally, im not so sure, and I want to get a second oppinion with a Pod. I just don't see how my back can cause a bump on my foot?? I live in the U.S. in Southern California, so there is alot of red tape to go through before you get some answers, sometimes I feel like I should just treat it myself, since the doctors aren't really doing anything for me.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/04/02 at 15:11 (091556)

Hi

I agree a haglund's deformity is a boney deformity on the outside back of your heel bone. Has nothing to do with lower back pathology that I know of .
Padding, change in the shoe counter. Make sure that the heel counter is soft.

paula on 8/03/02 at 19:26 (091500)

I feel for you, I've been dealing with this for the last few months and I've seen an orthopedic surgeon and he says the bumps themselves{ spurs, or pump bumps are the other names} don't cause the pain, but he hasnt' quite helped me either! I also being treated for back pain, so im going to get a second opinion on my foot from a podiatrist, since they see feet all the time. Maybe you should see a pod? My orthpedic is playing the waiting game and giving me drugs. Good luck, if you get any good advice, please post it. Thanks, paula

paula on 8/04/02 at 14:36 (091555)

Hi Roddy, you didn't mention if it's work related. I had to file workers comp, because I can't afford to go to all the doctors that I've had to see. I've seen a few and I still don't have answers as to what to do. I think they just hope it will go away on it's own.I work all day on my feet, in a awkward standing position. My Orthopedic thinks that maybe my back is causing the pain. I have 3 herniated discs in my lower back. Personally, im not so sure, and I want to get a second oppinion with a Pod. I just don't see how my back can cause a bump on my foot?? I live in the U.S. in Southern California, so there is alot of red tape to go through before you get some answers, sometimes I feel like I should just treat it myself, since the doctors aren't really doing anything for me.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/04/02 at 15:11 (091556)

Hi

I agree a haglund's deformity is a boney deformity on the outside back of your heel bone. Has nothing to do with lower back pathology that I know of .
Padding, change in the shoe counter. Make sure that the heel counter is soft.