Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

mystery solved: spider bite!

Posted by Suzanne D on 8/03/02 at 08:43 (091472)

Hello, Friends!

What I thought at the beginning of the week was poison ivy on my big toe and toe next to it (looked like it, itched like it), started looking more and more unfamiliar as time went on, and it didn't spread but the 'blister' on my big toe got bigger and bigger until it is 3/4' across and sticks up 1/2 '. When I called my dr. Thurs. and spoke with the nurse, she said he was running 2 hours behind and couldn't see me but to soak 3x a day in Epsom Salts and made an appointment for me for Mon. after school as he is out on Fridays. She advised to go to Acute Care if it got worse, and so I went early yesterday evening. The PA I saw said it was a spider bite and prescribed an antibiotic ointment, said to continue the soaks. wear sandals this weekend to let it 'air', and gave me a tetanus shot. The good thing is that it doesn't hurt, but it doesn't show any signs this morning of getting any smaller! Luckily my SAS shoes have large toe boxes and can accomodate this as I surely will have to wear them Monday to school so the little ones won't step on it or be staring all day and distracted on their first day of school! That would certainly be the dinner table talk Monday night about their new teacher!

I hope all of you are well and that you have a good weekend! My computer at home has been 'contrary' and I haven't been able to read the boards well, but it was good to see Judy's name this morning and know she is back!

Take care,
Suzanne :-)

Re: mystery solved: spider bite!

Kathy G on 8/03/02 at 09:29 (091477)

Suzanne,

Well, I'm so happy that you got to see someone for it and that at least you know what it is and it's being treated. I suppose it would be too traumatic to sing 'Itsy Bitsy Spider' and then show your students your foot, huh? Sorry, an example of my very sick humor! But you must admit, it would be a unique first-day-of-school experience!

Hope it continues to heal and is less of a problem when Monday rolls around. I'll be thinking of you and your class on your first day! Take care.

BrianG on 8/03/02 at 20:56 (091504)

Hi Suzanne,

Years ago I had just switched to my HMO. I had picked a doctor, but had not even met him. I started getting this intense itching on my back one day. A couple people looked at it and said, it's bunch of raised welts, all in a line! Someone says, I think it's spider bites, you better call the doctor. So I call, and they tell me to come in after work. I waited for awhile, and then was seen by the doctor. He looks at me for about 10 seconds, and tells me he'll be right, he wants a 2nd opinion. This other doctor comes in and says, 'Yep, he's got Shingles', and everyone had a good laugh. Except me, they spread, and hurt like hell. I wished they were spider bittes!!!! :*)

Glad you got diagnosed
BrianG

RACHAEL T. on 8/03/02 at 22:37 (091512)

Hello Friends - right back atcha! Happy to hear that the toe problem is a spider bite & nothing more serious. Now, take care of your tootsies w/ your return to the classroom. I know it is difficult to 'ration' one's enthusiasm as I still have a tendency of 'overdoing' some days - then, the consequences. So, take care & enjoy the children & their learning! Have a good week! As for me, I am off to another horse show this Thurs. - it is a short 3-dayer as opposed to the past 2 - 6 dayers! Sooo, I hope the feet continue to 'hang in there!' To ride, it is tape & re tape, that is my motto!

Necee on 8/05/02 at 18:40 (091674)

You know Suzanne I kinda thought you might have a spider bite, sure hope that its healing well.
All the best to you as you start a new school year, I just know that your going to have lots of fun with your new students, as theres no doubt in my mind.....they are going to love their new teacher!!

Happy trails.....

Necee

Kathy G on 8/03/02 at 09:29 (091477)

Suzanne,

Well, I'm so happy that you got to see someone for it and that at least you know what it is and it's being treated. I suppose it would be too traumatic to sing 'Itsy Bitsy Spider' and then show your students your foot, huh? Sorry, an example of my very sick humor! But you must admit, it would be a unique first-day-of-school experience!

Hope it continues to heal and is less of a problem when Monday rolls around. I'll be thinking of you and your class on your first day! Take care.

BrianG on 8/03/02 at 20:56 (091504)

Hi Suzanne,

Years ago I had just switched to my HMO. I had picked a doctor, but had not even met him. I started getting this intense itching on my back one day. A couple people looked at it and said, it's bunch of raised welts, all in a line! Someone says, I think it's spider bites, you better call the doctor. So I call, and they tell me to come in after work. I waited for awhile, and then was seen by the doctor. He looks at me for about 10 seconds, and tells me he'll be right, he wants a 2nd opinion. This other doctor comes in and says, 'Yep, he's got Shingles', and everyone had a good laugh. Except me, they spread, and hurt like hell. I wished they were spider bittes!!!! :*)

Glad you got diagnosed
BrianG

RACHAEL T. on 8/03/02 at 22:37 (091512)

Hello Friends - right back atcha! Happy to hear that the toe problem is a spider bite & nothing more serious. Now, take care of your tootsies w/ your return to the classroom. I know it is difficult to 'ration' one's enthusiasm as I still have a tendency of 'overdoing' some days - then, the consequences. So, take care & enjoy the children & their learning! Have a good week! As for me, I am off to another horse show this Thurs. - it is a short 3-dayer as opposed to the past 2 - 6 dayers! Sooo, I hope the feet continue to 'hang in there!' To ride, it is tape & re tape, that is my motto!

Necee on 8/05/02 at 18:40 (091674)

You know Suzanne I kinda thought you might have a spider bite, sure hope that its healing well.
All the best to you as you start a new school year, I just know that your going to have lots of fun with your new students, as theres no doubt in my mind.....they are going to love their new teacher!!

Happy trails.....

Necee