Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

R.C. - a question?

Posted by RACHAEL T. on 8/03/02 at 21:51 (091507)

Hi RC - I've a question for you -- I wonder if you taped & never wore orthotics - & why? Sometimes, I feel that tape is more adequate but I do tape WITH orthotics - I don't feel my orth. are 'supportive' enough w/ my physical activities of being a professional horsetrainer.....what tape method did you use?

Re: R.C. - a question?

R C on 8/05/02 at 10:33 (091619)

I've tried something like 5 different orthotic systems, under the guidance of 3 different doctors over 2 years -- with no success whatsoever. Three of the approaches started with an off-the-shelf orthotic, which we tried to tweak gradually. One was a computer-guided system based on my stepping over a sensory pad. The last method was based on taking an imprint of my foot using a foamy pad. Four weeks of adjustment and readjustment, then we abandoned that, too. Basically, they all hurt like heck, and definitely seemed to make the injury worse.

The problem, I believe, is that orthotics only provide upward pressure against the bottom of the foot. What I needed was something to hold the foot along the lengthwise dimension. Hence tape was the effective solution. Daily taping was one of the keys to overcoming my PF. I've used both the methods referred to in Scott's heel book: (1) Put a few strips of tape along the bottom of the foot, or (2) wrap the tape around the heel, anchoring at the balls of the foot. Alternating these two methods keeps the skin and flesh from getting too irritated.

Re: R.C. - a question?

R C on 8/05/02 at 10:33 (091619)

I've tried something like 5 different orthotic systems, under the guidance of 3 different doctors over 2 years -- with no success whatsoever. Three of the approaches started with an off-the-shelf orthotic, which we tried to tweak gradually. One was a computer-guided system based on my stepping over a sensory pad. The last method was based on taking an imprint of my foot using a foamy pad. Four weeks of adjustment and readjustment, then we abandoned that, too. Basically, they all hurt like heck, and definitely seemed to make the injury worse.

The problem, I believe, is that orthotics only provide upward pressure against the bottom of the foot. What I needed was something to hold the foot along the lengthwise dimension. Hence tape was the effective solution. Daily taping was one of the keys to overcoming my PF. I've used both the methods referred to in Scott's heel book: (1) Put a few strips of tape along the bottom of the foot, or (2) wrap the tape around the heel, anchoring at the balls of the foot. Alternating these two methods keeps the skin and flesh from getting too irritated.