Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Inflamation

Posted by john h on 8/04/02 at 09:56 (091536)

There was a large article on the frot page of todays paper discussing some new findings in heart attack and stroke. A large recemt study had found that 'Inlamation' may play a major role in heart attacks and strokes. It can be inflamation from any part of the body. Almost at any time all of us have dome some sort of inflamation going on whether we know about it or not. It can be measured by simple $10 blood test. In fact fat cells can be inflamed and put out this measurable substance. This factor has shown a 9 fold increase in stroke and heart attack even with people having low blood pressure and low cholesterol. It may take evaluating people for possible heart attack and stroke in an entirely different direction. My point being that the final chapter has not been written on PF and it's cause and cure.

Re: Inflamation

elliott on 8/04/02 at 12:06 (091544)

Sounds like your point being that the final chapter has not been written on heart attack and stroke. :-)

---

john h on 8/04/02 at 16:54 (091562)

Elliot: A dear friend about 50 yars old who was a physical specimen of the first order died of a heart attack last month. He had about 9% body fat and was part owner and director of a large fitness center. He worked out every day. Was a starting safety at Negraska and ran a famous fitness center in Dallas. He had not history of heart problems and did all the right things.

The article did say we will probably start evaluating people differently for possible heart problems. President Bush had this blood test on his last physical and it was excellent. They mentioned such minor inflamation as that of the gums and other things you may not pay attention to. If there is a $10 blood test for inflamation should we not all take a look at it if we think our fascia is inflamed? The immidiate problems with the test is what to do with the results? If you have had a heart attack all the same old treatments still apply but if you have not perhaps unearthing a minor chronic infection is certainly worth a $10 blood test.

Re: Inflammation

elliott on 8/04/02 at 21:24 (091582)

Sounds like your point being that the final chapter has not been written on heart attack and stroke. :-)

--

BrianG on 8/04/02 at 22:22 (091587)

So John, is this an OTC product, or something the doctor has to do? Is it available to the public now?

Thanks, interesting stuff
BrianG

Kathy G on 8/05/02 at 17:05 (091662)

John,

I saw the article, too, and it peeked my curiosity. I am hoping to see more about this later in other publications, hopefully in more detail. Actually, because I have such a problem with inflammation, I really perked up when I saw it because it doesn't exactly bode well for me.

I do think that everyone should take a low-dose aspirin (81 mg.)daily and hopefully that could help with the inflammation problem to some degree. I recently saw a study that said the aspirin is more effective at preventing heart attacks and strokes if taken at bedtime. The reason is not known.

As I'm writing this, I realize how insane I am. I decided to try not taking Vioxx for a week because of one of the reports about it causing blood clots and I don't think it helps my feet one bit. I did think it was helping my hand, however. This is only my second day without it but maybe I should just go back on it because it does cut down on inflammation. (I can't take the other anti-inflammatories).

You're right. This research could really help people with PF. It's an amazing time to be alive. Medical science is coming out with new reports daily on how we can live a longer, more healthly life. But it becomes confusing as to what we should and shouldn't do. (A perfect example is the HRT controversy.)

john h on 8/06/02 at 08:20 (091722)

Kathy: the article also pointed out that Lipotor/Zocor the cholesterol lowering drugs are very effective in reducing inflamation in the artiries. In fact these drugs can reverse plaque and inflamation in the arteries. Approximately 9 million people are on lipitor and the article said probably millions of more should be on it if they have any history of heart problems in their family or high blood pressure. This being even if your cholesterol is in the normal range (around 200).

Re: Lipitor

EKC on 8/06/02 at 09:15 (091729)

FYI, my physical therapist (for my PF) was on lipitor.
She had tremendous side effects. Weakness in legs.
She ended up in the emergency room.

Kathy G on 8/06/02 at 12:03 (091743)

EKC and John,

Yes, one of the side effects of Lipitor, though it is rare, is muscle pain and weakness. Most people take it with no side effects. My husband has been on it for about three years now, and happily, his only side effect is lower cholesterol.

John, yesterday I was talking to my husband about how when I go for my annual physical in September, I am going to ask my doctor about going on one of the statins (which is what Lipitor is). Last year, my triglyceride level was borderline high, but now, with the new guidelines, it would probably be considered high. Given my borderline elevated high blood pressure and the history of hypertension in my family, it would seem to be a viable drug for me to take. I was watching a panel of doctorson PBS, recently, and they unanimously agreed that within the next ten to twenty years, a more and more people would be on a statin. As they study them, they find more and more positive effects.

When I read about all the proftit drug companies make and the call for government controls, I kind of cringe because a good deal of that money goes to the development of new drugs and study of current drugs. It's a troubling, double-edged sword.

john h on 8/06/02 at 15:31 (091756)

No Brian these drugs are only available by prescription.

john h on 8/06/02 at 15:38 (091758)

Kathy: From what you state you fit the profile of someone who could be on Lipitor. I know about 10 people on it and who have been on it for years with no problems. Typically it will cut your total cholesterol between 30 and 40% and bring the triglycerides way down. My family doctor is a real believer in this drug in that it can actually reverse atery plaque as well as bring down the cholesterol and triglycerides. Now with the new revelation that it reducews inflamation in the arteries there is more evidence that it is a good drug. Last I read a year or so ago around 9 million people are on it. Usually start you on 10mg once a day. Some people take 20mg once a day but I do not know any. With or without food. Does not cause stomach problems. When you first start your Doc shoud check your liver function after a few months but it is rare that this is a problem. Discuss it with your doc especially since you are borderline high on trigylcirieds.

john h on 8/07/02 at 09:36 (091821)

Kathy.During the past 10 years the U.S. has developed more drugs than all of Europe combined. We must not kill the goose that lays the golden egg by cutting off research on new drugs which is an enormous expense. Unfortunately we as Americans pay for most of this research and other countries reap the benefits by lower drug prices. There must be a reason for this but I do not know what it is. At the turn of the century the life expectancy of an American new born was 50 years. We have advanced the life expectency enormously and new drugs play an important part in this.

Kathy G on 8/07/02 at 10:12 (091828)

I agree, John. I don't have a problem with the drug companies making a huge profit as long as they continue to plow some of that profit back into research and development. I do have an issue with their targeting advertising to the layman and the cruises, etc. that they use as inducements to American medical people in the hopes that they will prescribe their products. In the latter, I think the new law that came into effect on July 1st should help. I am thankful that we live in the US and can take advantage of the technology available to us. I just wish there was a way to make it affordable to all, especially those who retire and have to pay their health insurance themselves and are having trouble making ends meet. But that's a problem for much smarter people than I to solve.

Sharon W on 8/07/02 at 12:38 (091854)

Kathy,

A comment on Vioxx and aspirin:

Vioxx may or may not be responsible for an increased risk of stroke. I have not been following the controversy over this very closely of late, but I was a bit put off by these claims that taking Vioxx is a risk for circulatory problems when I investigated the FIRST reports I found about Vioxx increasing the possibility of stroke and/or heart attack. I discovered that what the study was ACTUALLY doing, was comparing Vioxx with Aleve. Unlike NSAIDS such as Aleve or aspirin, Vioxx reportedly does NOT have the effect of 'thinning the blood' (inhibiting platelet aggregation). Anything that DOES 'thin the blood' (such as aspirin) will reduce the risk of strokes and heart attack, to some extent. Some doctors are now recommeding that patients taking Vioxx who may be at risk for stroke or heart attack, should take a baby aspirin every day, as well.

Sharon

Kathy G on 8/08/02 at 09:23 (091940)

Thanks, Sharon. You're right. There is a great deal of contradictory information out there about Vioxx right now, some of it based on fact and some not. I guess that if I've taken it for the last four years with no ill effect, and I'm under a doctor's care, I'm safe. So, for now, I'm going to continue to take it!

elliott on 8/04/02 at 12:06 (091544)

---

john h on 8/04/02 at 16:54 (091562)

Elliot: A dear friend about 50 yars old who was a physical specimen of the first order died of a heart attack last month. He had about 9% body fat and was part owner and director of a large fitness center. He worked out every day. Was a starting safety at Negraska and ran a famous fitness center in Dallas. He had not history of heart problems and did all the right things.

The article did say we will probably start evaluating people differently for possible heart problems. President Bush had this blood test on his last physical and it was excellent. They mentioned such minor inflamation as that of the gums and other things you may not pay attention to. If there is a $10 blood test for inflamation should we not all take a look at it if we think our fascia is inflamed? The immidiate problems with the test is what to do with the results? If you have had a heart attack all the same old treatments still apply but if you have not perhaps unearthing a minor chronic infection is certainly worth a $10 blood test.

Re: Inflammation

elliott on 8/04/02 at 21:24 (091582)

--

BrianG on 8/04/02 at 22:22 (091587)

So John, is this an OTC product, or something the doctor has to do? Is it available to the public now?

Thanks, interesting stuff
BrianG

Kathy G on 8/05/02 at 17:05 (091662)

John,

I saw the article, too, and it peeked my curiosity. I am hoping to see more about this later in other publications, hopefully in more detail. Actually, because I have such a problem with inflammation, I really perked up when I saw it because it doesn't exactly bode well for me.

I do think that everyone should take a low-dose aspirin (81 mg.)daily and hopefully that could help with the inflammation problem to some degree. I recently saw a study that said the aspirin is more effective at preventing heart attacks and strokes if taken at bedtime. The reason is not known.

As I'm writing this, I realize how insane I am. I decided to try not taking Vioxx for a week because of one of the reports about it causing blood clots and I don't think it helps my feet one bit. I did think it was helping my hand, however. This is only my second day without it but maybe I should just go back on it because it does cut down on inflammation. (I can't take the other anti-inflammatories).

You're right. This research could really help people with PF. It's an amazing time to be alive. Medical science is coming out with new reports daily on how we can live a longer, more healthly life. But it becomes confusing as to what we should and shouldn't do. (A perfect example is the HRT controversy.)

john h on 8/06/02 at 08:20 (091722)

Kathy: the article also pointed out that Lipotor/Zocor the cholesterol lowering drugs are very effective in reducing inflamation in the artiries. In fact these drugs can reverse plaque and inflamation in the arteries. Approximately 9 million people are on lipitor and the article said probably millions of more should be on it if they have any history of heart problems in their family or high blood pressure. This being even if your cholesterol is in the normal range (around 200).

EKC on 8/06/02 at 09:15 (091729)

FYI, my physical therapist (for my PF) was on lipitor.
She had tremendous side effects. Weakness in legs.
She ended up in the emergency room.

Kathy G on 8/06/02 at 12:03 (091743)

EKC and John,

Yes, one of the side effects of Lipitor, though it is rare, is muscle pain and weakness. Most people take it with no side effects. My husband has been on it for about three years now, and happily, his only side effect is lower cholesterol.

John, yesterday I was talking to my husband about how when I go for my annual physical in September, I am going to ask my doctor about going on one of the statins (which is what Lipitor is). Last year, my triglyceride level was borderline high, but now, with the new guidelines, it would probably be considered high. Given my borderline elevated high blood pressure and the history of hypertension in my family, it would seem to be a viable drug for me to take. I was watching a panel of doctorson PBS, recently, and they unanimously agreed that within the next ten to twenty years, a more and more people would be on a statin. As they study them, they find more and more positive effects.

When I read about all the proftit drug companies make and the call for government controls, I kind of cringe because a good deal of that money goes to the development of new drugs and study of current drugs. It's a troubling, double-edged sword.

john h on 8/06/02 at 15:31 (091756)

No Brian these drugs are only available by prescription.

john h on 8/06/02 at 15:38 (091758)

Kathy: From what you state you fit the profile of someone who could be on Lipitor. I know about 10 people on it and who have been on it for years with no problems. Typically it will cut your total cholesterol between 30 and 40% and bring the triglycerides way down. My family doctor is a real believer in this drug in that it can actually reverse atery plaque as well as bring down the cholesterol and triglycerides. Now with the new revelation that it reducews inflamation in the arteries there is more evidence that it is a good drug. Last I read a year or so ago around 9 million people are on it. Usually start you on 10mg once a day. Some people take 20mg once a day but I do not know any. With or without food. Does not cause stomach problems. When you first start your Doc shoud check your liver function after a few months but it is rare that this is a problem. Discuss it with your doc especially since you are borderline high on trigylcirieds.

john h on 8/07/02 at 09:36 (091821)

Kathy.During the past 10 years the U.S. has developed more drugs than all of Europe combined. We must not kill the goose that lays the golden egg by cutting off research on new drugs which is an enormous expense. Unfortunately we as Americans pay for most of this research and other countries reap the benefits by lower drug prices. There must be a reason for this but I do not know what it is. At the turn of the century the life expectancy of an American new born was 50 years. We have advanced the life expectency enormously and new drugs play an important part in this.

Kathy G on 8/07/02 at 10:12 (091828)

I agree, John. I don't have a problem with the drug companies making a huge profit as long as they continue to plow some of that profit back into research and development. I do have an issue with their targeting advertising to the layman and the cruises, etc. that they use as inducements to American medical people in the hopes that they will prescribe their products. In the latter, I think the new law that came into effect on July 1st should help. I am thankful that we live in the US and can take advantage of the technology available to us. I just wish there was a way to make it affordable to all, especially those who retire and have to pay their health insurance themselves and are having trouble making ends meet. But that's a problem for much smarter people than I to solve.

Sharon W on 8/07/02 at 12:38 (091854)

Kathy,

A comment on Vioxx and aspirin:

Vioxx may or may not be responsible for an increased risk of stroke. I have not been following the controversy over this very closely of late, but I was a bit put off by these claims that taking Vioxx is a risk for circulatory problems when I investigated the FIRST reports I found about Vioxx increasing the possibility of stroke and/or heart attack. I discovered that what the study was ACTUALLY doing, was comparing Vioxx with Aleve. Unlike NSAIDS such as Aleve or aspirin, Vioxx reportedly does NOT have the effect of 'thinning the blood' (inhibiting platelet aggregation). Anything that DOES 'thin the blood' (such as aspirin) will reduce the risk of strokes and heart attack, to some extent. Some doctors are now recommeding that patients taking Vioxx who may be at risk for stroke or heart attack, should take a baby aspirin every day, as well.

Sharon

Kathy G on 8/08/02 at 09:23 (091940)

Thanks, Sharon. You're right. There is a great deal of contradictory information out there about Vioxx right now, some of it based on fact and some not. I guess that if I've taken it for the last four years with no ill effect, and I'm under a doctor's care, I'm safe. So, for now, I'm going to continue to take it!