Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

swollen feet and ankles

Posted by Franca G on 8/04/02 at 16:43 (091560)

Both of my feet and ankles are swollen and I have no idea why. I'm not pregnant. I don't eat alot of salty foods and I can't think of any reason for the swelling. I've tried elevating my feet in the evening and it does seem to help but they're swollen again in the morning. Any idea what may be causing this?

Re: swollen feet and ankles

Julie on 8/05/02 at 02:48 (091598)

See your doctor. It could be something very simple, like the heat, or a change in your diet, but fluid retention can be symptomatic of a number of conditions, so you should get this checked out.

Polly A on 8/17/02 at 22:23 (092792)

I am a thirty one year old female that for the last two months my right foor has been swollen mainly around the ankle. At first I had no pain then shortly after I got pain, and my knee started hurting I thought do to the way I was walking on my foot. Now for the last three days both feet are swollen and both knees hurt, and I am in much pain. Nothing seems to help. I have had two back surgries with the last one a year and a half ago gone bad. I had my L5-S1 disk removed with two cages put in place and bone from my hip put into the cages. The surgery went wrong and the cages are now on my nerve and I am in the most pain I have ever been in. I take about the strongest pain medication they can give me oral. So I did not think I should be able to feel the pain but I do. Is this something serious I had my right foot x-rayed and was told it was not broke but that is as far as I have took it. Do you think this will go away or I should I go to the foot dr. like my family dr. wants me to? I do wrap my feet, I wear a kneebrace for the right foot, doe's not seem to help though. What do you think, anything would help. In pain Polly

Re: Polly

Julie on 8/18/02 at 02:45 (092807)

Hello Polly

First, my sympathies for your pain. I do think you should follow your family doctor's advice and see a foot doctor (podiatrist). Make sure you tell him or her all about your history of back surgery, though. Pain in the feet and knees can be related to problems in the spine.

Julie on 8/05/02 at 02:48 (091598)

See your doctor. It could be something very simple, like the heat, or a change in your diet, but fluid retention can be symptomatic of a number of conditions, so you should get this checked out.

Polly A on 8/17/02 at 22:23 (092792)

I am a thirty one year old female that for the last two months my right foor has been swollen mainly around the ankle. At first I had no pain then shortly after I got pain, and my knee started hurting I thought do to the way I was walking on my foot. Now for the last three days both feet are swollen and both knees hurt, and I am in much pain. Nothing seems to help. I have had two back surgries with the last one a year and a half ago gone bad. I had my L5-S1 disk removed with two cages put in place and bone from my hip put into the cages. The surgery went wrong and the cages are now on my nerve and I am in the most pain I have ever been in. I take about the strongest pain medication they can give me oral. So I did not think I should be able to feel the pain but I do. Is this something serious I had my right foot x-rayed and was told it was not broke but that is as far as I have took it. Do you think this will go away or I should I go to the foot dr. like my family dr. wants me to? I do wrap my feet, I wear a kneebrace for the right foot, doe's not seem to help though. What do you think, anything would help. In pain Polly

Re: Polly

Julie on 8/18/02 at 02:45 (092807)

Hello Polly

First, my sympathies for your pain. I do think you should follow your family doctor's advice and see a foot doctor (podiatrist). Make sure you tell him or her all about your history of back surgery, though. Pain in the feet and knees can be related to problems in the spine.