Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Iontophoresis without proper footwear.

Posted by Daniel C. on 8/05/02 at 04:41 (091602)

Doctors,

I am having iontophoresis txs for my tarsal tunnel syndrome. I currently wear birkenstock sandals with dynastep otc inserts in them. Am I getting enough arch support? If this is not enough support, would iontophoresis relieve pain?

Thank you for your time!

Re: Iontophoresis without proper footwear.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/06/02 at 22:26 (091797)

Everyone's need for support is different. Birks plus dynasteps are a lot of support.

Iontophoresis can be effective for pain relief in TTS. You should get a good idea of how much it is helping after 4 to 6 treatments.
Ed

elliott on 8/07/02 at 10:37 (091831)

Footwear is really a separate issue from the ionto. Wearing good footwear is always good advice.

My feeling is that for any 'real' case of TTS, this treatment is way over-hyped. I had about 20 treatments (you come in for PT, they have nothing better to do and say, 'how 'bout a little ionto today?', and then bill for it). At most it gave a little bit of relief, much of it imagined, lasting typically one or two days. It's certainly not going to solve any fundamental problem causing the TTS.

--

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/06/02 at 22:26 (091797)

Everyone's need for support is different. Birks plus dynasteps are a lot of support.

Iontophoresis can be effective for pain relief in TTS. You should get a good idea of how much it is helping after 4 to 6 treatments.
Ed

elliott on 8/07/02 at 10:37 (091831)

Footwear is really a separate issue from the ionto. Wearing good footwear is always good advice.

My feeling is that for any 'real' case of TTS, this treatment is way over-hyped. I had about 20 treatments (you come in for PT, they have nothing better to do and say, 'how 'bout a little ionto today?', and then bill for it). At most it gave a little bit of relief, much of it imagined, lasting typically one or two days. It's certainly not going to solve any fundamental problem causing the TTS.

--