Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Monday smiles and chit-chat

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 8/05/02 at 07:14 (091603)

Hi, everyone! Today is Suzanne's first day back at school with her little ones. Suzanne, I hope your spider bite didn't get worse and that you have a great first day with your new kids.

Tropical Storm Bertha seems to be leaving us alone in the New Orleans area. We had a lot of rain predicted for today, but it isn't raining at all yet so maybe the storm is taking a more easterly track.

Frank (the brilliant engineer that I used to date, who moved to the east coast a couple of years ago) was back in town for a visit. We spent Saturday walking in the French Quarter and he took me to the Wax Museum there, which has wax figures in scenes depicting important events out of Louisiana history. It was fascinating to me!

Then we walked around the French Quarter for hours looking at antiques. There are some very expensive antique stores there. I saw an armoire that cost $28,000! It was beautiful, and perhaps ten feet tall and eight feet wide or more. Needless to say, I didn't buy it. I also didn't buy the $5000 marble coffee table or the fabulous $18,000 bookcase/cabinet with crystal doors. LOL Still, it was fun to see what the rich and famous can buy if they want to. If I need any furniture, I'll shop elsewhere!

He also took me to some wonderful restaurants that I hadn't been to before. I was disappointed that I reached my limit as far as walking goes. Actually it was more my knees than my feet. I had forgotten to take any Celebrex. He offered to go get the car for me but I insisted on walking back to it. I spent Sunday resting and surfing the net, and I am pretty much back to normal today.

Bobbie (who broke up with me in December, but who still calls me frequently) called yesterday. He was pleased as punch that I got to go out with Frank and that Frank is moving back. He also volunteered to come and visit me after I move into the house, and to help me hang two new doors that I will need to hang! That is so sweet of him. He knows how to do it, and I have never hung a door but I have heard it is hard to do sometimes.

Today I am going to get insurance arranged for the house. I found it to be much harder to get insurance here than it is to get a mortgage, because most companies are not starting new policies in the New Orleans metro area right now. They have had a lot of claims here in the past few years, due to tropical storms and hail.

Carole C

Re: Monday smiles and chit-chat

wendyn on 8/05/02 at 11:22 (091629)

Carole, that's too bad that insurance is such a hassle. Hopefully things will work out okay. We actually have some blue sky for the first time in a week, and I'm shortly heading out on a well deserved vacation.

Lots of Monday smiles here!

Carole C in NOLA on 8/05/02 at 14:44 (091650)

Thanks for the Monday smiles, Wendy! Smiles back at you. :)

Luckily, there is state backed insurance that I can get, which will satisfy my mortgage company. The rates are lots higher than the insurance companies are allowed to charge, so it's kind of a last resort, but at least I will have insurance.

I hope you have a wonderful time on your vacation! Where are you going? Blue skies sound nice, compared with your recent cold weather.

Carole C

Necee on 8/05/02 at 18:36 (091673)

Hey Carole..it sure sounds like you had a wonderful weekend, isn't it fun to browse antique shops. Of course those pieces you saw could be purchased at our antique auction for less than half that price!

I spent the weekend working outside in the heat! No fun there!

Happy trails...

Necee

Re: Carole, Tim Crawford?

BrianG on 8/05/02 at 20:41 (091686)

Hi Carole,

Did you happen to know the Oceanographer named Timothy Crawford, who died off of Cape Cod this weekend. He was from Idaho, and worked for NOAA. He was flying an experimental job, a hobby type thing, when it went into the ocean. I have no idea how big your field is. Does everybody know most everyone else?

Regards
BrianG

Carole C in NOLA on 8/05/02 at 21:06 (091690)

No, I didn't know him... I am sorry to hear of his demise.

Oceanography is not too big a field at all, but still we do not all know one another. I do know many Gulf of Mexico physical oceanographers.

Carole C

john h on 8/06/02 at 18:09 (091776)

brian: those homemade experimental jobs will grab you every time. about 15 years ago i came very close to buying a small one man helicopter (autogyro really) and putting it together and then my senses came back to me. we lose a few people around here every year with small home built aircraft. currently there is a group rebuilding the Wright Brothers plane to original specs. they are doing it exactly like the Wright Brothers down to sewing the fabric by hand on the wings. They will fly it (hopefully) on the annaversary of the flight at Kitty Hawk. Actually I would like to give that a go. There have been two aircraft I jumped in and flew which I had never been in and that is dicey not knowing what airspeeds the A/C will stall at, approach speeds and generaly feel of the aircraft.

Kathy G on 8/08/02 at 09:18 (091938)

A friend died some years back after going to, I believe it was one of the Carolina's, and taking a special course in flying ultra-lights. He bought, not built, a top-of-the-line plane, brought it home and suffered an engine malfunction on his maiden voyage which resulted in his death.

I'm glad you came to your senses, John!

wendyn on 8/05/02 at 11:22 (091629)

Carole, that's too bad that insurance is such a hassle. Hopefully things will work out okay. We actually have some blue sky for the first time in a week, and I'm shortly heading out on a well deserved vacation.

Lots of Monday smiles here!

Carole C in NOLA on 8/05/02 at 14:44 (091650)

Thanks for the Monday smiles, Wendy! Smiles back at you. :)

Luckily, there is state backed insurance that I can get, which will satisfy my mortgage company. The rates are lots higher than the insurance companies are allowed to charge, so it's kind of a last resort, but at least I will have insurance.

I hope you have a wonderful time on your vacation! Where are you going? Blue skies sound nice, compared with your recent cold weather.

Carole C

Necee on 8/05/02 at 18:36 (091673)

Hey Carole..it sure sounds like you had a wonderful weekend, isn't it fun to browse antique shops. Of course those pieces you saw could be purchased at our antique auction for less than half that price!

I spent the weekend working outside in the heat! No fun there!

Happy trails...

Necee

BrianG on 8/05/02 at 20:41 (091686)

Hi Carole,

Did you happen to know the Oceanographer named Timothy Crawford, who died off of Cape Cod this weekend. He was from Idaho, and worked for NOAA. He was flying an experimental job, a hobby type thing, when it went into the ocean. I have no idea how big your field is. Does everybody know most everyone else?

Regards
BrianG

Carole C in NOLA on 8/05/02 at 21:06 (091690)

No, I didn't know him... I am sorry to hear of his demise.

Oceanography is not too big a field at all, but still we do not all know one another. I do know many Gulf of Mexico physical oceanographers.

Carole C

john h on 8/06/02 at 18:09 (091776)

brian: those homemade experimental jobs will grab you every time. about 15 years ago i came very close to buying a small one man helicopter (autogyro really) and putting it together and then my senses came back to me. we lose a few people around here every year with small home built aircraft. currently there is a group rebuilding the Wright Brothers plane to original specs. they are doing it exactly like the Wright Brothers down to sewing the fabric by hand on the wings. They will fly it (hopefully) on the annaversary of the flight at Kitty Hawk. Actually I would like to give that a go. There have been two aircraft I jumped in and flew which I had never been in and that is dicey not knowing what airspeeds the A/C will stall at, approach speeds and generaly feel of the aircraft.

Kathy G on 8/08/02 at 09:18 (091938)

A friend died some years back after going to, I believe it was one of the Carolina's, and taking a special course in flying ultra-lights. He bought, not built, a top-of-the-line plane, brought it home and suffered an engine malfunction on his maiden voyage which resulted in his death.

I'm glad you came to your senses, John!