Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

for Dr. Ed re: pressure measurement in TTS region

Posted by KS on 8/05/02 at 08:32 (091608)

>The vein as 'buffer' theory has some merit. The tunnel is a closed space and 'hydraulic' (fluid) pressure can be a powerful force. I hope that we eventually have an accurate way to measure pressures in the tunnel -- that would give us better insight.
Ed

Dr. Ed,
Being a long-term PF/TTS sufferer and regular reader, I just saw your post on the TTS message board (above). I'm pretty sure that some researchers at Univ CA San Francisco/Berkeley (joint bioengineering program) were measuring pressures in the carpal tunnel area a couple years ago. I don't know how those tests ended up, but wonder if the results might be applicable or useful in TTS cases. Professionally, I specialize in fluids/fluid measurement research (engineering), and would be very interested in talking to you about this research issue. I may be contacted at (email removed).
KS

Re: for Dr. Ed re: pressure measurement in TTS region

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/06/02 at 21:45 (091792)

I am not involved in the research end of things but am involved in a residency teaching program. The residents have the time to do research and are encouraged to do so. The incidence of TTS is significantly lower than carpal tunnel syndrome so getting good numbers for a study would slow the study. A goal would be to design a device to place within a compartment, atraumatically as possible, to measure pressure in the compartment.
Ed

Re: for Dr. Ed re: pressure measurement in TTS region

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/06/02 at 21:45 (091792)

I am not involved in the research end of things but am involved in a residency teaching program. The residents have the time to do research and are encouraged to do so. The incidence of TTS is significantly lower than carpal tunnel syndrome so getting good numbers for a study would slow the study. A goal would be to design a device to place within a compartment, atraumatically as possible, to measure pressure in the compartment.
Ed