Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

VENT Airport thing

Posted by Mahatmelissama on 8/05/02 at 13:12 (091636)

I went to the airport to greet my friend coming back from a missionary trip to Albania with my church.

Well, everyone of course wants to STAND STAND STAND.

I go in the back and SIT on the floor. I don't care i look retarded.
EVeryone looks at me (in church group) but most of them know my problem PF.

Anyway, one guy I know tells me 'why don't you get a wheelchair or crutches?' He is trying to be nice (and i know men like to solve things, it is there nature) but I told him politely NO NO NO. He then wanted to push me around in the luggage cart. NO NO NO. MAn, I wanted to slap him! He is nice guy he means well...but i had trouble sleeping after that.

He is NOT the first to suggest a wheelchair and crutches...he won't be the last I am sure. I am trying to break in the SDOs and what people need to know is I THINK IT IS GOOD FOR ME to try standing a bit. For one, I don't want my muscles to antrophy. For 2, I am breaking in new orthotics (you know how that goes...)

It is soooo frustrating. I guess I should say 'it is good for me to stand as much as I can tolerate'.

Re: sorry about that word..

Mahatmelissama on 8/05/02 at 13:13 (091637)

I should not use the word 'retarded'...ugh. It slipped...pls subsitute the world 'dumb' here. I do NOT think mentally challenged people are dumb. Thx.

PS: when I vent, I tend not to think clearly...hence old vocubulary from youth comes up.

Re: VENT Airport thing

Carole C in NOLA on 8/05/02 at 14:57 (091651)

I hear you! It is so aggravating to be treated like that. I'm sure he meant well, but sometimes guys just aren't very tactful (as you obviously know).

Sometimes when things like this make me really angry, I find that what is REALLY making me angry is the fact that I can't do the things I used to be able to do. The guy's stupidity is something that I would normally forgive, and I'm sure you would too. It's just so hard to have it shoved in your face that you can't do normal things.

Then I get angry at my feet. Remember a few months back, when a few of us were joking on the message board about blowing up our feet? I think you were here then, maybe. There was a lot of tension released in those jokes. But you know, it's not my feet's fault either, that they can't do normal things. It's just a very difficult disability to deal with.

Here's a suggestion, and I'm really stretching here because I'm not sure your feelings are the same as mine in the same sorts of situations. I'm thinking of what helps me when I'm angry at my feet, and I don't even know if you are, really. But anyhow, it helps me to 'love my feet' again if I massage them with my night blooming jasmine lotion or do other things to make them feel loved and pampered. So, it sounds really odd but I'm suggesting a foot massage to get over being angry at that guy!

Either way, I honestly do care and I hope that that aggravated, frustrated feeling goes away soon.

Carole C

Kathy G on 8/05/02 at 16:54 (091659)

Melissa,

I'm sure he meant well as do others who: know someone who got over PF in only two weeks, suggest that we seek a second opinion, ask if we can just walk through the pain, etc. Whenever we meet someone with a chronic situation, our first reaction, if we're nice people, is to try to come up with a solution to their problem. That's what these people are doing. If they didn't care, they wouldn't try to come up with a solution. I know how frustrated you were but try to remember he meant well and you're not doing anything wrong by sitting down nor are you wrong to want to walk some so that your muscles don't become atrophied.

Hope the orthotics work out for you!

Re: thx Carole and Kathy

Mahatmelissama on 8/05/02 at 17:22 (091665)

Thanks for reminding me that...and yes, sometimes Carole I do feeling like shooting my feet! I do though rub nice lotions into them a lot. I am getting a massage tonight and letting her work a little bit on my feet. ;)

Kathy, Thanks for reminding me...people like to come up with solutions. I do the same thing myself and annoy others (like the time I dated a guy who kept having sleeping problems...and I had a million and one solutions for him).

About those PF sufferers who got over it in 2 weeks...God bless them. I can't stand it though when I hear 'just walk through the pain'.

Some of my friends now say 'want to sit down?' right away to me...they are trying.

Re: sorry about that word..

Mahatmelissama on 8/05/02 at 13:13 (091637)

I should not use the word 'retarded'...ugh. It slipped...pls subsitute the world 'dumb' here. I do NOT think mentally challenged people are dumb. Thx.

PS: when I vent, I tend not to think clearly...hence old vocubulary from youth comes up.

Carole C in NOLA on 8/05/02 at 14:57 (091651)

I hear you! It is so aggravating to be treated like that. I'm sure he meant well, but sometimes guys just aren't very tactful (as you obviously know).

Sometimes when things like this make me really angry, I find that what is REALLY making me angry is the fact that I can't do the things I used to be able to do. The guy's stupidity is something that I would normally forgive, and I'm sure you would too. It's just so hard to have it shoved in your face that you can't do normal things.

Then I get angry at my feet. Remember a few months back, when a few of us were joking on the message board about blowing up our feet? I think you were here then, maybe. There was a lot of tension released in those jokes. But you know, it's not my feet's fault either, that they can't do normal things. It's just a very difficult disability to deal with.

Here's a suggestion, and I'm really stretching here because I'm not sure your feelings are the same as mine in the same sorts of situations. I'm thinking of what helps me when I'm angry at my feet, and I don't even know if you are, really. But anyhow, it helps me to 'love my feet' again if I massage them with my night blooming jasmine lotion or do other things to make them feel loved and pampered. So, it sounds really odd but I'm suggesting a foot massage to get over being angry at that guy!

Either way, I honestly do care and I hope that that aggravated, frustrated feeling goes away soon.

Carole C

Kathy G on 8/05/02 at 16:54 (091659)

Melissa,

I'm sure he meant well as do others who: know someone who got over PF in only two weeks, suggest that we seek a second opinion, ask if we can just walk through the pain, etc. Whenever we meet someone with a chronic situation, our first reaction, if we're nice people, is to try to come up with a solution to their problem. That's what these people are doing. If they didn't care, they wouldn't try to come up with a solution. I know how frustrated you were but try to remember he meant well and you're not doing anything wrong by sitting down nor are you wrong to want to walk some so that your muscles don't become atrophied.

Hope the orthotics work out for you!

Re: thx Carole and Kathy

Mahatmelissama on 8/05/02 at 17:22 (091665)

Thanks for reminding me that...and yes, sometimes Carole I do feeling like shooting my feet! I do though rub nice lotions into them a lot. I am getting a massage tonight and letting her work a little bit on my feet. ;)

Kathy, Thanks for reminding me...people like to come up with solutions. I do the same thing myself and annoy others (like the time I dated a guy who kept having sleeping problems...and I had a million and one solutions for him).

About those PF sufferers who got over it in 2 weeks...God bless them. I can't stand it though when I hear 'just walk through the pain'.

Some of my friends now say 'want to sit down?' right away to me...they are trying.