Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My Hubby found something strange

Posted by Necee on 8/05/02 at 20:41 (091685)

My hubby was recently on an outing near a creek, he went walking along the bank and noticed something protruding from the edge of the water, he picked it up....turns out its teeth, they are very long and jagged. It appears to be some sort of very large animal, but its something that has been there for a really long time, they are almost petrified. He also found a big shell, something like what you would see in the ocean, it too was petrified.
Carole...your the expert....any ideas, who can I take this to? I'd love to know more about this.

Necee

Re: My Hubby found something strange

BrianG on 8/05/02 at 20:44 (091687)

Salt water, or fresh? Was it a snapping turtle?

Necee on 8/05/02 at 21:06 (091689)

fresh water...and no its not a turtle, the teeth are at least 3' long and very jagged.

Necee

Necee on 8/05/02 at 21:08 (091692)

I should say too that the teeth are all connected, there are about 5 of them.
Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 8/05/02 at 21:15 (091696)

I don't remember where you live, but why not call the biology department of your local university, and ask who specializes in molluscs or paleobiology. Then, when you contact that person, ask if he is the right person or if he knows someone else you should see instead. That should do it. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 8/05/02 at 21:18 (091697)

Oh... the teeth! LOL! I was more interested in the mollusc than the teeth. I'm sure you can find someone there who can tell you about the teeth, too. Maybe a mammalogist. They probably will all know one another pretty well, so if one can't help you he'll know who to send you to.

Carole C

Necee on 8/05/02 at 21:22 (091699)

I kinda was thinking about contacting the university, but to be honest, I didn't know what the technical term was for these things!! Thanks Carole.

Necee

john h on 8/06/02 at 18:03 (091775)

Neecee: maybe it is one of the Snake Head Fish that walks on land that has been in the news recently. The eat any thing in the pond and will walk over to the next pond for a meal. I think they came from the far east.

Necee on 8/06/02 at 23:00 (091803)

Oh John you are too much!!!
Maybe the long lost Loch Ness!

Necee

Re: Walking Carnivorous Fish Are REAL!!

Valerie S on 8/07/02 at 10:58 (091834)

John,
I read about these fish too. Apparently, someone had 2 as pets and then discarded them into a pond or lake in the northeastern US. They walk on their fins and can live outside of water for a couple days, just like you say... and they are carnivorous and considered a real danger to the ecosystem.

Is that what they are called? Snake Head Fish? ... this is NOT from the National Enquirer either (I know I have posted about the tiny mermaid ... but Nancy started that one!)

Val.

Necee on 8/07/02 at 11:06 (091837)

Ok....I'm taking this to our local college. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Happy trails....

Necee

Valerie S on 8/07/02 at 11:50 (091848)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020723/sc_nm/environment_snakehead_dc_10

I don't know if this link will work, but there have been many articles written about the snakehead fish ... they eat all the other fish in the pond and then travel to find more food by crawling over land. Can grow up to 3 feet in length and have teeth... big and creepy... no pun intended!

yuck... and yikes.

john h on 8/07/02 at 18:17 (091889)

The paper called them the 'Snake head fish' and showed a picture of them. They do have very bad looking teeth.

Kathy G on 8/08/02 at 09:05 (091936)

Necee,

We'll all be interested to find out what kind of 'creature' he found. The Boston Globe had an article about the Snakehead Fish on the front page a couple of weeks ago because it has been found in Massachusetts. One has to really wonder about the woman in Maryland who is believed to have imported them to make a soup for her relative! What's wrong with good old chicken soup?

Keep us posted!

Necee on 8/08/02 at 13:32 (091979)

I called the college and left a message with the head Biology Professor. He should call when classes resume in a few weeks.
I'll keep ya'll posted!

Happy trails...

Necee

BrianG on 8/05/02 at 20:44 (091687)

Salt water, or fresh? Was it a snapping turtle?

Necee on 8/05/02 at 21:06 (091689)

fresh water...and no its not a turtle, the teeth are at least 3' long and very jagged.

Necee

Necee on 8/05/02 at 21:08 (091692)

I should say too that the teeth are all connected, there are about 5 of them.
Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 8/05/02 at 21:15 (091696)

I don't remember where you live, but why not call the biology department of your local university, and ask who specializes in molluscs or paleobiology. Then, when you contact that person, ask if he is the right person or if he knows someone else you should see instead. That should do it. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 8/05/02 at 21:18 (091697)

Oh... the teeth! LOL! I was more interested in the mollusc than the teeth. I'm sure you can find someone there who can tell you about the teeth, too. Maybe a mammalogist. They probably will all know one another pretty well, so if one can't help you he'll know who to send you to.

Carole C

Necee on 8/05/02 at 21:22 (091699)

I kinda was thinking about contacting the university, but to be honest, I didn't know what the technical term was for these things!! Thanks Carole.

Necee

john h on 8/06/02 at 18:03 (091775)

Neecee: maybe it is one of the Snake Head Fish that walks on land that has been in the news recently. The eat any thing in the pond and will walk over to the next pond for a meal. I think they came from the far east.

Necee on 8/06/02 at 23:00 (091803)

Oh John you are too much!!!
Maybe the long lost Loch Ness!

Necee

Valerie S on 8/07/02 at 10:58 (091834)

John,
I read about these fish too. Apparently, someone had 2 as pets and then discarded them into a pond or lake in the northeastern US. They walk on their fins and can live outside of water for a couple days, just like you say... and they are carnivorous and considered a real danger to the ecosystem.

Is that what they are called? Snake Head Fish? ... this is NOT from the National Enquirer either (I know I have posted about the tiny mermaid ... but Nancy started that one!)

Val.

Necee on 8/07/02 at 11:06 (091837)

Ok....I'm taking this to our local college. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Happy trails....

Necee

Valerie S on 8/07/02 at 11:50 (091848)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020723/sc_nm/environment_snakehead_dc_10

I don't know if this link will work, but there have been many articles written about the snakehead fish ... they eat all the other fish in the pond and then travel to find more food by crawling over land. Can grow up to 3 feet in length and have teeth... big and creepy... no pun intended!

yuck... and yikes.

john h on 8/07/02 at 18:17 (091889)

The paper called them the 'Snake head fish' and showed a picture of them. They do have very bad looking teeth.

Kathy G on 8/08/02 at 09:05 (091936)

Necee,

We'll all be interested to find out what kind of 'creature' he found. The Boston Globe had an article about the Snakehead Fish on the front page a couple of weeks ago because it has been found in Massachusetts. One has to really wonder about the woman in Maryland who is believed to have imported them to make a soup for her relative! What's wrong with good old chicken soup?

Keep us posted!

Necee on 8/08/02 at 13:32 (091979)

I called the college and left a message with the head Biology Professor. He should call when classes resume in a few weeks.
I'll keep ya'll posted!

Happy trails...

Necee