Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Repost Dr please answer

Posted by SheriLynnC on 8/06/02 at 13:40 (091749)

Years ago I was told I had plantar fasciitis because the bottom of my feet were hurting so bad in the arch I could hardly walk. The doctor told me to try chaning the shoes I wore and also to try losing some weight. Well, I did both and had no problems anymore til now. I am currently 30 weeks pregnant and have gained LOTS of weight so far. This week my feet have been really sore on the bottom but since yesterday my right foot is killing me. It is not hurting in the arch but it is right under the toe area where that little pad is located (sorry I guess my explanation is not too good) Anyway, this morning I can hardly walk and am wondering if maybe it is the plantar fasciitis again because of the weight gain. It was so long ago I can't remember what I did to make the pain easier back then. Do you have any suggestions until I can contact the Podiatrist on Monday?

Re: Repost Dr please answer

Carolyn F. on 8/06/02 at 14:14 (091752)

I am not a doctor, but I have heard from many people that when the weight gain came so did the PF pain. If it were me, I would ice the area(use a bag of frozen peas),make sure you have supportive shoes on at all times when walking or standing, stretch daily and talk that hubby or yours into deep tissue foot massages nightly before bed. My husband does them for me and they make a world of difference!!!!Good luck!!

Re: Gosh a massage would be great but....

SheriLynnC on 8/06/02 at 14:21 (091753)

I have read that deep foot massages can cause you to go into labor. I am only 30 weeks so I don't want to take that chance just yet. Maybe when I get around 37 weeks lots of deep foot massages will be great :) That way maybe I won't have to wait til Oct 14th to have this baby!!

Pauline on 8/06/02 at 15:38 (091757)

Sherilynn,
With pregnancy I think you realize all decisions are based on the care of that baby and unfortunately you might have to put up with the additional discomfort from the P.F having limited treatment choices until you deliver.

I'm not a doctor, but my advice would be to stay off your feet as much as possible and follow the advice of your doctors. I think icing and gentle massage they might approve, but I'd never advise you to do anything without their ok.

Best of luck with the new arrival.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/06/02 at 21:48 (091793)

Two things happen in pregancy --weight gain and release of hormones (relaxin) which allows the pelvic bones to spread. Te same hormone 'softens' ligaments in your feet allowing them to spread. Make sure you are wearing the most suppotive shoes possible, eg. New Balance #1121 running shoe.
Ed

Carolyn F. on 8/06/02 at 14:14 (091752)

I am not a doctor, but I have heard from many people that when the weight gain came so did the PF pain. If it were me, I would ice the area(use a bag of frozen peas),make sure you have supportive shoes on at all times when walking or standing, stretch daily and talk that hubby or yours into deep tissue foot massages nightly before bed. My husband does them for me and they make a world of difference!!!!Good luck!!

SheriLynnC on 8/06/02 at 14:21 (091753)

I have read that deep foot massages can cause you to go into labor. I am only 30 weeks so I don't want to take that chance just yet. Maybe when I get around 37 weeks lots of deep foot massages will be great :) That way maybe I won't have to wait til Oct 14th to have this baby!!

Pauline on 8/06/02 at 15:38 (091757)

Sherilynn,
With pregnancy I think you realize all decisions are based on the care of that baby and unfortunately you might have to put up with the additional discomfort from the P.F having limited treatment choices until you deliver.

I'm not a doctor, but my advice would be to stay off your feet as much as possible and follow the advice of your doctors. I think icing and gentle massage they might approve, but I'd never advise you to do anything without their ok.

Best of luck with the new arrival.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/06/02 at 21:48 (091793)

Two things happen in pregancy --weight gain and release of hormones (relaxin) which allows the pelvic bones to spread. Te same hormone 'softens' ligaments in your feet allowing them to spread. Make sure you are wearing the most suppotive shoes possible, eg. New Balance #1121 running shoe.
Ed