Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Finally getting some relief

Posted by Chad H on 8/06/02 at 18:27 (091778)

Hello everyone,

I just have to post and tell you want is going on in my life. I am not going to go into all of the background. If you are really interested, you can search my name and read prior posts. The bottom line is that I have suffered from TTS symptoms for the past 6 years.

I am finally getting some relief! I am on Neurontin 300 mg 3 times a day, Celebrex 2 times a day. The Neurontin has just been amazing. Almost all of the burning and shooting pains are gone. I also posted about a week ago about my TENS unit. Please check out the post if you are interested. Anyway, this thing REALLY works! I just can't believe how well it is helping. If a doctor would have prescribed these things 6 years ago, I likely never would have had a single surgery, instead I had 3.

I realize these things are just band-aids, but just having some relieve has been amazing! Please talk to you doctor about a TENS unit. The thing works. You can search Empi online and learn more about them.

Re: Chad?

Ricky J. on 8/07/02 at 10:10 (091827)

How long were you on neurontin before you started feeling better?. I have been on it one week and have only notice a slight improvement. I am taking 1200 mg of nuerontin a day and one elavil a day.

Re: 1200 mg neurontin/day the first week? Wild!

elliott on 8/07/02 at 10:18 (091830)

Normally you build up the dosage carefully (usually starting at more like 200 or 400 mg per day), allowing your body a chance to adapt so as to avoid or minimize side effects.

--

Dennis B. on 8/07/02 at 14:02 (091861)

Additionally, my understanding is that it takes about a week for the Neurontin to 'build up' in the body before any improvement would be noticed. Good luck to you, DENNIS

Ricky J. on 8/08/02 at 07:03 (091916)

I started out on 300 mg the first 3 days and then went to 600 and yesterday was the first time I went to 1200 mg. My doctor wants me to stay at this level for a while to see how its working and effecting me. He said he doesn't like going much higer than this. I haven't notice any side effects yet except the first day I took it. It hammered me the first day, even caused my feet to jerk, I slept for 13 hrs the first day. It hasn't effected me like that anymore.

Re: buildup still sounds way too fast to me (nm)

elliott on 8/08/02 at 08:13 (091921)

Dennis B. on 8/08/02 at 16:17 (091999)

I was told to start out on 300mg/day for the first 3 days and then and another 300mg/day for another 3 days. this process of 300mg/day for 3 days was continued until I reached the dosage that the doctor prescribed. Please note that when, and if, you are told to quit taking the Neurontin, the dosage schedule is supposed to be reversed, that is to say, deleting 300mg/day for 3 days, then another 300mg/day for 3 days, etc. I am currently at 2700mg/day supplemented with 4000mg/day of Tylenol, 800mg/day of Ibuprofen and Percocet as needed for the 'break through' pain. Good luck to you, DENNIS

Dennis B. on 8/08/02 at 16:20 (092000)

Just a clarification as to my condition, I also have Vasculitis and possibly CIDP, as well as spinal stenosis in addition to my TTS so my info as to meds is probably exaggerated(sp?)for those with only TTS

Re: So basically Ricky built up twice as fast as you. Wild! (nm)

elliott on 8/08/02 at 16:42 (092006)

Re: That sounds like a large jump

Tammie on 8/08/02 at 17:53 (092014)

Hi, I happen to read this and thought the same thing it does seem pretty fast to change the neuronton. I am on this also and I first started with the 100 x3 per day for a week to see if it had any effects / then we went to 200x3 per day/then 300/x3 per day/now we are toying with 600/x3 per day I have played with this one for a few weeks as it seems to have some effects that were not pleasant so he told me to play with it for a while when feel ready take it up again .BUT never QUIT completely untill you stalk with me even if it is 100x3.

It may not be my business but I just thought it sounded funny that you precede so fast and my dr. takes things slow and we seem to try everything in a slow but then I want to rush and get the final help whatever it may hold.I have been told over and over that your body has to build up to meds they have to feel comfortable with my body and my life hahah. So just thought I would comment that I am a bit worried about you but as long as it is Dr. supervised that is the important thing. Not how we feel about it it is you and your DR. so sorry for giving my .o2! Have a great day!

Ricky J. on 8/09/02 at 07:59 (092049)

The only thing that I have noticed is that my feet don't hurt as bad now. If you read the dosage for treating epilepsy on drugs.com for using neuronton you will notice the recommened dosage is 300 mg three times a day and may be move up to 3600 mgs a day. I do understand that is for epilepsy, inwhich neuronton is usally prescribed.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/11/02 at 12:43 (092209)

Usually!
Those treating chronic pain, neurogenic pain, RSD are getting incredibly creative _-- 'off label' is getting a whole new meaning.

I use a fair amount of neurontin and the range of responses to the drug is amazing. Most individuals would experience drowsiness when started on a high dose without building up but many do not. The combination of Ultram or Ultracet (ultram with tylenol) with Neurontin is becoming very popular for neurogenic pain. The primary side effect of high doses of ultram is seizures but neurontin is an anti-seizure drug (official FDA 'on label' use).
Ed

Re: LET ME CLARIFY

CHAD H on 8/13/02 at 09:31 (092350)

Sorry for not responding, I have been out of town for the past week.

I was put on 300mg for the first day, then 600 mg the third day, then 1200mg the fifth day. Never had a single side effect.

I was hoping this post would spark more interest in the TENS unit, not the Neurontin, but oh well!

Re: Finally getting some relief

trish e on 8/14/02 at 12:27 (092460)

this is srtange iam on 2700mg and still have burning, tingling, swelling,alot of pain when walking.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/14/02 at 23:19 (092519)

Chad:

That is still a fairly rapid increase in dosing. The range of tolerance to this drug is braod. Glad to see it worked well for you!
Ed

Re: Chad?

Ricky J. on 8/07/02 at 10:10 (091827)

How long were you on neurontin before you started feeling better?. I have been on it one week and have only notice a slight improvement. I am taking 1200 mg of nuerontin a day and one elavil a day.

elliott on 8/07/02 at 10:18 (091830)

Normally you build up the dosage carefully (usually starting at more like 200 or 400 mg per day), allowing your body a chance to adapt so as to avoid or minimize side effects.

--

Dennis B. on 8/07/02 at 14:02 (091861)

Additionally, my understanding is that it takes about a week for the Neurontin to 'build up' in the body before any improvement would be noticed. Good luck to you, DENNIS

Ricky J. on 8/08/02 at 07:03 (091916)

I started out on 300 mg the first 3 days and then went to 600 and yesterday was the first time I went to 1200 mg. My doctor wants me to stay at this level for a while to see how its working and effecting me. He said he doesn't like going much higer than this. I haven't notice any side effects yet except the first day I took it. It hammered me the first day, even caused my feet to jerk, I slept for 13 hrs the first day. It hasn't effected me like that anymore.

Re: buildup still sounds way too fast to me (nm)

elliott on 8/08/02 at 08:13 (091921)

Dennis B. on 8/08/02 at 16:17 (091999)

I was told to start out on 300mg/day for the first 3 days and then and another 300mg/day for another 3 days. this process of 300mg/day for 3 days was continued until I reached the dosage that the doctor prescribed. Please note that when, and if, you are told to quit taking the Neurontin, the dosage schedule is supposed to be reversed, that is to say, deleting 300mg/day for 3 days, then another 300mg/day for 3 days, etc. I am currently at 2700mg/day supplemented with 4000mg/day of Tylenol, 800mg/day of Ibuprofen and Percocet as needed for the 'break through' pain. Good luck to you, DENNIS

Dennis B. on 8/08/02 at 16:20 (092000)

Just a clarification as to my condition, I also have Vasculitis and possibly CIDP, as well as spinal stenosis in addition to my TTS so my info as to meds is probably exaggerated(sp?)for those with only TTS

Re: So basically Ricky built up twice as fast as you. Wild! (nm)

elliott on 8/08/02 at 16:42 (092006)

Tammie on 8/08/02 at 17:53 (092014)

Hi, I happen to read this and thought the same thing it does seem pretty fast to change the neuronton. I am on this also and I first started with the 100 x3 per day for a week to see if it had any effects / then we went to 200x3 per day/then 300/x3 per day/now we are toying with 600/x3 per day I have played with this one for a few weeks as it seems to have some effects that were not pleasant so he told me to play with it for a while when feel ready take it up again .BUT never QUIT completely untill you stalk with me even if it is 100x3.

It may not be my business but I just thought it sounded funny that you precede so fast and my dr. takes things slow and we seem to try everything in a slow but then I want to rush and get the final help whatever it may hold.I have been told over and over that your body has to build up to meds they have to feel comfortable with my body and my life hahah. So just thought I would comment that I am a bit worried about you but as long as it is Dr. supervised that is the important thing. Not how we feel about it it is you and your DR. so sorry for giving my .o2! Have a great day!

Ricky J. on 8/09/02 at 07:59 (092049)

The only thing that I have noticed is that my feet don't hurt as bad now. If you read the dosage for treating epilepsy on drugs.com for using neuronton you will notice the recommened dosage is 300 mg three times a day and may be move up to 3600 mgs a day. I do understand that is for epilepsy, inwhich neuronton is usally prescribed.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/11/02 at 12:43 (092209)

Usually!
Those treating chronic pain, neurogenic pain, RSD are getting incredibly creative _-- 'off label' is getting a whole new meaning.

I use a fair amount of neurontin and the range of responses to the drug is amazing. Most individuals would experience drowsiness when started on a high dose without building up but many do not. The combination of Ultram or Ultracet (ultram with tylenol) with Neurontin is becoming very popular for neurogenic pain. The primary side effect of high doses of ultram is seizures but neurontin is an anti-seizure drug (official FDA 'on label' use).
Ed

CHAD H on 8/13/02 at 09:31 (092350)

Sorry for not responding, I have been out of town for the past week.

I was put on 300mg for the first day, then 600 mg the third day, then 1200mg the fifth day. Never had a single side effect.

I was hoping this post would spark more interest in the TENS unit, not the Neurontin, but oh well!

Re: Finally getting some relief

trish e on 8/14/02 at 12:27 (092460)

this is srtange iam on 2700mg and still have burning, tingling, swelling,alot of pain when walking.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/14/02 at 23:19 (092519)

Chad:

That is still a fairly rapid increase in dosing. The range of tolerance to this drug is braod. Glad to see it worked well for you!
Ed