Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

4 pair; Orthotics still not comfortable

Posted by EKC on 8/07/02 at 07:18 (091817)

I now have 4 pair of custom orthotics in my ever growing collection.
Each was cast molded to my feet. Each cost at least $300.
I still am not comfortable in any of them. I had a PF release
and mostly everyone has said I should be in supports. I belive
the PF is nearly gone, but I still am not comfortable in my
orthotics. What do I do?

Re: call Dr. Kiper! :-)

elliott on 8/07/02 at 09:03 (091819)

Sorry, couldn't resist. Was one of the 4 Northwest Podiatric? Really a cut above the rest. What kind of arch do you have? Can you describe the orthotics you've already had and exactly what was wrong with each? Also, what happens if you don't wear them?

--

Re: 4 pair; Orthotics still not comfortable

Dr Dennis Kiper on 8/07/02 at 09:56 (091826)

Here is a perfect example of a patient who has been treated by excellent doctors with a poor product. In my experience with patients, this is the norm rather than the exception.

Re: High Arch

EKC on 8/07/02 at 11:52 (091850)

I have a high arch, a 'cavous deformity'.
I can't explain what I feel except to say I am not comfortable
wearing my orthotics. They don't specifically hurt or press on
any area. I cannot walk long without wanting to
toss them out of my shoes. I always crawl back to my Berkinstock
sandals.

Shaira on 8/07/02 at 12:40 (091855)

Do you feel better in your birks? I am finding that comfortable shoes seems to be the key rather than orthotics. I had orthotics made for me and it was excruciating.

Re: Birkinstocks

EKC on 8/07/02 at 12:54 (091856)

I'm pretty comfortable in my Berks. Much more than shoes/orthotics.
Seems my calf muscles don't get a good stretch when I'm in my Berks.
Maybe because the Berks are so stiff.

EKC on 8/07/02 at 12:56 (091857)

I don't know their names. I don't know whats wrong with them, except
one particular pari had such a high arch, it threw my knees to the
outside.
If I don't wear them, I start getting my old PF pains back in my
arches, like the arch is getting 'stretched'.

Shirley W on 8/11/02 at 11:36 (092192)

EKC---I have the same problem--I have been cast for custom orthotics (very expensive) made by Southwest Orth. Labs., --by the same POD twice now,--the first ones had very little arch. I have high arches--the second casted set had an arch so high in the left foot, I could barely walk on it and the right one had a low arch that didn't even touch my arch. So I gave up with that set and threw them in the closet. I am still looking -for an over the counter type, maybe. I feel pretty good in my Mephistos, when at home. I went to another POD, who taped a foam-type cushion to the arch of my feet. It was pretty uncomfortable to walk, even the muscles in my calf hurt. but I was determined to follow his instructions to wear it constantly for a week. It was amazing!!! After 1 week, my heels no longer had pain!! My feet are still 'achy' and tired from standing all day, so I am still trying to find some support. I hope you find something to help you. My 2nd POD said high arches are the hardest to help, and his next recommendation was custom orthotics again, but I am very reluctent to try again.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/11/02 at 12:55 (092213)

How is your ankle range of motion -- your ability to pull your foot backwards (toes toward your head) on your leg? Lack of ankle dorsiflexion is the single largest cause of difficulty with orthotic intolerance.
Ed

EKC on 8/15/02 at 10:28 (092556)

I have very good flexibiilty in my lower limbs. I work at it constantly. I have been a competitive rower and runner.
I can pul my foot backwards easily to where I actually lift the heel off the ground (while sitting on my butt, leg extended).

elliott on 8/07/02 at 09:03 (091819)

Sorry, couldn't resist. Was one of the 4 Northwest Podiatric? Really a cut above the rest. What kind of arch do you have? Can you describe the orthotics you've already had and exactly what was wrong with each? Also, what happens if you don't wear them?

--

Dr Dennis Kiper on 8/07/02 at 09:56 (091826)

Here is a perfect example of a patient who has been treated by excellent doctors with a poor product. In my experience with patients, this is the norm rather than the exception.

EKC on 8/07/02 at 11:52 (091850)

I have a high arch, a 'cavous deformity'.
I can't explain what I feel except to say I am not comfortable
wearing my orthotics. They don't specifically hurt or press on
any area. I cannot walk long without wanting to
toss them out of my shoes. I always crawl back to my Berkinstock
sandals.

Shaira on 8/07/02 at 12:40 (091855)

Do you feel better in your birks? I am finding that comfortable shoes seems to be the key rather than orthotics. I had orthotics made for me and it was excruciating.

Re: Birkinstocks

EKC on 8/07/02 at 12:54 (091856)

I'm pretty comfortable in my Berks. Much more than shoes/orthotics.
Seems my calf muscles don't get a good stretch when I'm in my Berks.
Maybe because the Berks are so stiff.

EKC on 8/07/02 at 12:56 (091857)

I don't know their names. I don't know whats wrong with them, except
one particular pari had such a high arch, it threw my knees to the
outside.
If I don't wear them, I start getting my old PF pains back in my
arches, like the arch is getting 'stretched'.

Shirley W on 8/11/02 at 11:36 (092192)

EKC---I have the same problem--I have been cast for custom orthotics (very expensive) made by Southwest Orth. Labs., --by the same POD twice now,--the first ones had very little arch. I have high arches--the second casted set had an arch so high in the left foot, I could barely walk on it and the right one had a low arch that didn't even touch my arch. So I gave up with that set and threw them in the closet. I am still looking -for an over the counter type, maybe. I feel pretty good in my Mephistos, when at home. I went to another POD, who taped a foam-type cushion to the arch of my feet. It was pretty uncomfortable to walk, even the muscles in my calf hurt. but I was determined to follow his instructions to wear it constantly for a week. It was amazing!!! After 1 week, my heels no longer had pain!! My feet are still 'achy' and tired from standing all day, so I am still trying to find some support. I hope you find something to help you. My 2nd POD said high arches are the hardest to help, and his next recommendation was custom orthotics again, but I am very reluctent to try again.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/11/02 at 12:55 (092213)

How is your ankle range of motion -- your ability to pull your foot backwards (toes toward your head) on your leg? Lack of ankle dorsiflexion is the single largest cause of difficulty with orthotic intolerance.
Ed

EKC on 8/15/02 at 10:28 (092556)

I have very good flexibiilty in my lower limbs. I work at it constantly. I have been a competitive rower and runner.
I can pul my foot backwards easily to where I actually lift the heel off the ground (while sitting on my butt, leg extended).