Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question for doctors

Posted by jenny on 8/07/02 at 11:47 (091846)

Do heel spurs ever go away on their own, without surgery? I know that everyone says that they don't cause pain but I have them on both heels, and I always wear open heeled shoes {clogs,sandles}, so why whould I develop them if they are not rubbing against anything? The one on my left foot is very tender and I have alot of foot pain on top and around ankles.

Re: Question for doctors

Dr. David S. Wander on 8/07/02 at 15:10 (091869)

Jenny,

Are the 'heel spurs' you are referring to on the back of your heel or the bottom of your heel? It is well documented, and generally accepted among podiatrists and orthopedists, that the spurs at the bottom of the heel rarely if ever cause pain, and rarely have to be removed. Spurring at the back of the heel bone often does cause pain due to shoe irritation and irritation to the Achilles tendon. Spurs at the back of the heel can be from trauma, tightness of the Achilles, biomechanics of the foot, etc., and sometimes to require surgery. Spurs do not disappear and do not 'dissolve' and do not go away without surgery. The important question is if the spur is on the back of the heel or below the heel.

jenny on 8/08/02 at 00:21 (091913)

It's on the back of the heel,and I feel this tightning feeling in my achilles tendon when I walk.I've gone up a shoe size because the length of my foot is longer. I put on a pair of tennis shoes that I bought 6 months ago and they no longer fit because the spurs have grown. I had to go up a 1/2 of a size. My orthopedic surgeon isn't taking it seriously.

Dr. David S. Wander on 8/08/02 at 08:26 (091925)

ESWT can be used for the pain and inflammation of the soft tissue at the back of the heel, but will not remove the spur. With spurs at the back of the heel it is often necessary to intervene surgically by removing the bony prominence and lengthening the Achilles tendon. There is a company named Silipos that makes a thin elastic sleeve that contains silicone at the back to protect the area from irritation. I've found this to be a very useful product for many of my patients, especially hockey players that get irritation from skates. If your doctor is not taking you seriously, the answer seems simple..........find another doctor.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/08/02 at 15:22 (091993)

Yes if the area is where the achilles tendon attaches to the back of the heel ESWT will correct the injury. We have found that ESWT is every effection for what we call in medical terms chronic insertional Achilles tendonitis. This is where the tendon fibers are torn and just won't heal. The sound wave will repair the tear. The boney calicification or spur is your bodies attempt to heal the tear. If you would like additonal ESWT information and or a brosure give me an e-mail at (email removed)

Any questions feel free to ask us

Dr. David S. Wander on 8/07/02 at 15:10 (091869)

Jenny,

Are the 'heel spurs' you are referring to on the back of your heel or the bottom of your heel? It is well documented, and generally accepted among podiatrists and orthopedists, that the spurs at the bottom of the heel rarely if ever cause pain, and rarely have to be removed. Spurring at the back of the heel bone often does cause pain due to shoe irritation and irritation to the Achilles tendon. Spurs at the back of the heel can be from trauma, tightness of the Achilles, biomechanics of the foot, etc., and sometimes to require surgery. Spurs do not disappear and do not 'dissolve' and do not go away without surgery. The important question is if the spur is on the back of the heel or below the heel.

jenny on 8/08/02 at 00:21 (091913)

It's on the back of the heel,and I feel this tightning feeling in my achilles tendon when I walk.I've gone up a shoe size because the length of my foot is longer. I put on a pair of tennis shoes that I bought 6 months ago and they no longer fit because the spurs have grown. I had to go up a 1/2 of a size. My orthopedic surgeon isn't taking it seriously.

Dr. David S. Wander on 8/08/02 at 08:26 (091925)

ESWT can be used for the pain and inflammation of the soft tissue at the back of the heel, but will not remove the spur. With spurs at the back of the heel it is often necessary to intervene surgically by removing the bony prominence and lengthening the Achilles tendon. There is a company named Silipos that makes a thin elastic sleeve that contains silicone at the back to protect the area from irritation. I've found this to be a very useful product for many of my patients, especially hockey players that get irritation from skates. If your doctor is not taking you seriously, the answer seems simple..........find another doctor.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/08/02 at 15:22 (091993)

Yes if the area is where the achilles tendon attaches to the back of the heel ESWT will correct the injury. We have found that ESWT is every effection for what we call in medical terms chronic insertional Achilles tendonitis. This is where the tendon fibers are torn and just won't heal. The sound wave will repair the tear. The boney calicification or spur is your bodies attempt to heal the tear. If you would like additonal ESWT information and or a brosure give me an e-mail at (email removed)

Any questions feel free to ask us