Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT on July 2nd

Posted by Cindy B. on 8/07/02 at 15:11 (091870)

I had ESWT (Ossatron) on July 2nd on my right heel( I have had PF for over 3 years). I am looking for information on how others are doing following their treatment and what type of stretching their doctor has them doing. I had very little pain or soreness for the first two weeks and then during the third week the pain, soreness and stiffness after sitting became worse. My doctor had me doing three stretching(calf stretch, plantar stretch, and achilles tendon stretch) daily beginning the day after the treatment. I had my recheck with my doctor after four weeks and I thought I was 10% better. He felt the immflamation was down and told me to resume all normal activities and to add an additional stretch--using the stairs to strecth the calf, to use his words 'stretch the h_____ out of it'. I used the stair stretch before surgery and found it helpful. I have also starting walking again (about 1-2 miles a day, with very little pain!!). I am into my 5th week post-treatment and am starting to feel some relief, but still have the stiffness and soreness after sitting, especially at the end of the day. I have some periodic pain while resting and while active, nothing too severe. I return to my doctor in 3 weeks for another recheck. Yes, I did have to battle with my insurance, but after one denial, I was approved after the 2nd application. As for the procedure, I would definitely try ESWT before considering the PF release. I have been following this site and message board for the past two years and would appreciate hearing how others are doing since their ESWT, what type of post-treatments activities they were given, and in general their feelings about ESWT.

Re: ESWT on July 2nd

David G. on 8/08/02 at 10:43 (091950)

I have been suffering for 20 years. 3 EPF's and every conservative treatment imagineable. I am much better 6 weeks post ESWT.

dave r on 8/08/02 at 11:51 (091968)

Thats great! I hope that you only conitinue to get better!

Lee on 8/08/02 at 14:07 (091985)

Dear Cindy:

Had my ESWT 3 weeks ago, and am experiencing similar symptoms. First week was ok with very little soreness or stiffness. Had more soreness and pain with week two, and I would now in week 3 I have even more pain in the morning when i rise and after sitting for long periods. In addition, I have some deferred arch pain. I must confess I have become discouraged, but feel better when my symptoms are validated by others, particularly when some seem to eventually get better.

I stretch all the time, same ones you mentioned above, and even use a night splint. I am doing all I know to do....guess time will tell.If anyone has any other suggestions or words of inspiration, please share!

Re: Cindy /Lee

Pete on 8/08/02 at 16:24 (092001)

Has ESWT 4 weeks ago in England via the Evatron machine, which is not as powerful as the Ossatron.

First 10 days were hell, my symptoms were worse than ever and I was getting morning pain which I never had before. Since then it has settled down but is no better than before. I'd give ESWT another shot if this one doesn't work and I don't think its going to.

Stretching calves / hamstrings and have been taping the last 2 weeks using Scott's method. Ice every evening without fail.

Stretching has been done using Julie method but have just started the one recommended by Elliot.

Good luck to you both and let me no have you go

Freda J. on 8/09/02 at 06:54 (092045)

I've been suffering with heel spurs for about 3 years. My insurance company just approved ESWT and I am definately considering having it done. Can anyone share their experience with the actual procedure with me. I just want to know what to expect before, during and after. Thanx

Cindy B. on 8/09/02 at 07:44 (092047)

Freda, the actual procedure was painless for me. I had a local anesthetic--no heel block. My doctor marked on my foot the sopts that were painful using a scale of 1-10 and then began the procedure. I woke an hour later in my hospital room with a little ache and left for home an hour after. There was a little soreness, but I did not use any pain medication other than Tylenol and really did not use the Tylenol much. My doctor phoned later that evening to check on me and to encourage me to begin stretching as soon as I felt up to it. I was alittle tender for a couple of days, but had very little swelling, no reddenss or bruising. I do teach, so I did not have to return to work, but felt I could have returned the day after the procedure. I was careful, did the stretching and just took it easy for four weeks. Like I said earlier in my posting, it was great for the two weeks than more pain and soreness. I am now 5 weeks post-treatments and have no regrets on the ESWT. I feel my heel is getting better. I still have some soreness in the morning and then after resting later in the day. I also have alittle more swelling since I have gone back to all activities, except work, but this is usually gone in the morning. I return to teaching in a little more than a week, so that will be a true test! However, my heel is better than it was befor the procedure. My doctor tells me it could take up to 12 weeks (so does all my research). That seems like a long time, especially when the procedure was so painless, but 12 weeks isn't long considering I had PF for 3 years. I would do more than consider ESWT if your insurance has aprroved it. ESWT won't make thing worse............ Just remember and this is the hard part, have patience after the procedure, follow the post-treatment instructions and give your body a chance to heal. Gook Luck!

Cindy B. on 8/09/02 at 07:50 (092048)

Just have some patience....I know this is hard. I was discouraged until after seeing my doctor for my 4 week post-check-up. Keep stretching and active. Since my doctor told me to go back to all normal activities, within reason, I feel my heel has responded. I still have some discomfort upon rising and stiffness late day after resting, but I do everything I want. I walk my 1-2 miles everyday with no pain and I am looking forward to returning to school in a little over a week. This will be a true test to see how my heel responds to standing and walking for 8-10 hours a day! Good luck and keep positive!!!

Dee M on 8/09/02 at 15:41 (092071)

Hi Cindy,
Just had ESWT yesterday.Feel good, but the true test for me is when I can start running again. Are you a runner? What machine did you use? I'm wondering if the type of machine matters. I did the Dorneir Epos. thanks

lee on 8/09/02 at 15:58 (092073)

Does anyone have actual pain in walking post ESWT, or are most people experiencing pain symptoms upon rising and after periods of rest? The pain when walking (around the front of the heel and in the arch) is the pain that is the most discouraging to me.....anyone else have this?

john h on 8/09/02 at 19:18 (092091)

Freda for me ESWT was a walk in the park and no worse than getting my teeth cleaned. I had no shot and read a book.

Cindy B. on 8/10/02 at 16:20 (092132)

No, I am not a runner, but do walk 1-2 miles daily. Ossatron was the machine my doctor used. Good Luck!

Cindy B. on 8/10/02 at 16:25 (092133)

Lee, I have alittle pain when I first start out walking but leaves after a block. I did have alittle pain in my arch, but that has disappeared. Most of my pain is morning pain upon rising and after rest (later in the day, not mornings or early afternoon).

Lee on 8/17/02 at 08:10 (092724)

Well,week 4 post ESWT has made all the difference. Week 1-3 was so disappointing...I had pain equal to or greater than pre-ESWT. Now, I have had virtually no pain in the last 5 days. I found the stretches were painful, so after week 2 I began using a night splint, and cutting back on some of the stretching I was doing before. I would say my morning-upon-rising pain is now between a 1 or two. Overall soreness, about a 1-2. I keep knocking on wood and pinching myself in case I am dreaming. Every now and then out of the blue, even while resting, I do get these sharp stabbing pains in the heel, but they only last a few seconds and then go away...a bit bizarre...

I was wondering if anyone else has benefited from the use of night splints after ESWT? Boy, it really makes a difference when you rise in the morning...your heel cord is really limber as compared to the non-affected leg.

Cindy B. on 8/17/02 at 18:01 (092772)

Lee, great to hear your heel is better and things are going so well!! I am now almost 7 weeks post ESWT. I did have a set back a week ago, but it was my fault, I over did things (18 holes of golf, lawn mowing and shopping over a weekend). I paid the price for 2 days, but things are back on track now!! I start back to school on Monday and will be on my feet for 8-9 hours a day, so we'll see.... That stabbing pain you wrote about is something I also experience...not real often but it is a bit bizarre like you said. I tried a night splint a couple of years ago and like it, but not real comfortable for me (instep region), also my doctor told me not to wear it?? I was originally, 3 1/2 years ago, put in a half of a plaster cast at night with ace wraps and found this very good, but the plaster cast breaks pretty easy. I do still have pain upon rising, but it does not last long and then towards the end of the day it returns when I start slowing down for the day. Still stretching and walking 1-2 miles a day. Do you or anyone else who had ESWT have any swelling or puffiness on the treated heel. I did before the procedure, but not immediately after and now during the last couple of weeks the puffiness returned??? Overall, I do feel my heel is better and that ESWT was worth going through. Good luck and I hope things continue on the right track!!!

Lee on 8/18/02 at 08:50 (092826)

Hi Cindy,

No, I have not had any swelling on the heel, except for a few days after the procedure. Boy, it is encouraging to see how active you are 7 weeks post ESWT, and that with minor setbacks, your symptoms resolve. I was curious to read that your Dr. advised you against wearing the night splint? I wonder why? I have entertained not wearing it for a night or two to see if I feel different, but I guess I don't have the courage! Things are going so well, don't want to tamper with success!

The only other thing I wanted to mention that I am doing is I am using Birkenstock inserts in my shoes, and use Birkenstock sandals around the house. I got a pair of Tatami's- Georgia, and my feet love them. This sandal has a little bit of a heel to it, and great arch support. I used to wear Brooks Beast tennis shoes, but find that some of the pain actually returns when I wear them. I really need the rigid insert.

Again, it is so good to hear about your success....hope it continues...Lee

David G. on 8/08/02 at 10:43 (091950)

I have been suffering for 20 years. 3 EPF's and every conservative treatment imagineable. I am much better 6 weeks post ESWT.

dave r on 8/08/02 at 11:51 (091968)

Thats great! I hope that you only conitinue to get better!

Lee on 8/08/02 at 14:07 (091985)

Dear Cindy:

Had my ESWT 3 weeks ago, and am experiencing similar symptoms. First week was ok with very little soreness or stiffness. Had more soreness and pain with week two, and I would now in week 3 I have even more pain in the morning when i rise and after sitting for long periods. In addition, I have some deferred arch pain. I must confess I have become discouraged, but feel better when my symptoms are validated by others, particularly when some seem to eventually get better.

I stretch all the time, same ones you mentioned above, and even use a night splint. I am doing all I know to do....guess time will tell.If anyone has any other suggestions or words of inspiration, please share!

Re: Cindy /Lee

Pete on 8/08/02 at 16:24 (092001)

Has ESWT 4 weeks ago in England via the Evatron machine, which is not as powerful as the Ossatron.

First 10 days were hell, my symptoms were worse than ever and I was getting morning pain which I never had before. Since then it has settled down but is no better than before. I'd give ESWT another shot if this one doesn't work and I don't think its going to.

Stretching calves / hamstrings and have been taping the last 2 weeks using Scott's method. Ice every evening without fail.

Stretching has been done using Julie method but have just started the one recommended by Elliot.

Good luck to you both and let me no have you go

Freda J. on 8/09/02 at 06:54 (092045)

I've been suffering with heel spurs for about 3 years. My insurance company just approved ESWT and I am definately considering having it done. Can anyone share their experience with the actual procedure with me. I just want to know what to expect before, during and after. Thanx

Cindy B. on 8/09/02 at 07:44 (092047)

Freda, the actual procedure was painless for me. I had a local anesthetic--no heel block. My doctor marked on my foot the sopts that were painful using a scale of 1-10 and then began the procedure. I woke an hour later in my hospital room with a little ache and left for home an hour after. There was a little soreness, but I did not use any pain medication other than Tylenol and really did not use the Tylenol much. My doctor phoned later that evening to check on me and to encourage me to begin stretching as soon as I felt up to it. I was alittle tender for a couple of days, but had very little swelling, no reddenss or bruising. I do teach, so I did not have to return to work, but felt I could have returned the day after the procedure. I was careful, did the stretching and just took it easy for four weeks. Like I said earlier in my posting, it was great for the two weeks than more pain and soreness. I am now 5 weeks post-treatments and have no regrets on the ESWT. I feel my heel is getting better. I still have some soreness in the morning and then after resting later in the day. I also have alittle more swelling since I have gone back to all activities, except work, but this is usually gone in the morning. I return to teaching in a little more than a week, so that will be a true test! However, my heel is better than it was befor the procedure. My doctor tells me it could take up to 12 weeks (so does all my research). That seems like a long time, especially when the procedure was so painless, but 12 weeks isn't long considering I had PF for 3 years. I would do more than consider ESWT if your insurance has aprroved it. ESWT won't make thing worse............ Just remember and this is the hard part, have patience after the procedure, follow the post-treatment instructions and give your body a chance to heal. Gook Luck!

Cindy B. on 8/09/02 at 07:50 (092048)

Just have some patience....I know this is hard. I was discouraged until after seeing my doctor for my 4 week post-check-up. Keep stretching and active. Since my doctor told me to go back to all normal activities, within reason, I feel my heel has responded. I still have some discomfort upon rising and stiffness late day after resting, but I do everything I want. I walk my 1-2 miles everyday with no pain and I am looking forward to returning to school in a little over a week. This will be a true test to see how my heel responds to standing and walking for 8-10 hours a day! Good luck and keep positive!!!

Dee M on 8/09/02 at 15:41 (092071)

Hi Cindy,
Just had ESWT yesterday.Feel good, but the true test for me is when I can start running again. Are you a runner? What machine did you use? I'm wondering if the type of machine matters. I did the Dorneir Epos. thanks

lee on 8/09/02 at 15:58 (092073)

Does anyone have actual pain in walking post ESWT, or are most people experiencing pain symptoms upon rising and after periods of rest? The pain when walking (around the front of the heel and in the arch) is the pain that is the most discouraging to me.....anyone else have this?

john h on 8/09/02 at 19:18 (092091)

Freda for me ESWT was a walk in the park and no worse than getting my teeth cleaned. I had no shot and read a book.

Cindy B. on 8/10/02 at 16:20 (092132)

No, I am not a runner, but do walk 1-2 miles daily. Ossatron was the machine my doctor used. Good Luck!

Cindy B. on 8/10/02 at 16:25 (092133)

Lee, I have alittle pain when I first start out walking but leaves after a block. I did have alittle pain in my arch, but that has disappeared. Most of my pain is morning pain upon rising and after rest (later in the day, not mornings or early afternoon).

Lee on 8/17/02 at 08:10 (092724)

Well,week 4 post ESWT has made all the difference. Week 1-3 was so disappointing...I had pain equal to or greater than pre-ESWT. Now, I have had virtually no pain in the last 5 days. I found the stretches were painful, so after week 2 I began using a night splint, and cutting back on some of the stretching I was doing before. I would say my morning-upon-rising pain is now between a 1 or two. Overall soreness, about a 1-2. I keep knocking on wood and pinching myself in case I am dreaming. Every now and then out of the blue, even while resting, I do get these sharp stabbing pains in the heel, but they only last a few seconds and then go away...a bit bizarre...

I was wondering if anyone else has benefited from the use of night splints after ESWT? Boy, it really makes a difference when you rise in the morning...your heel cord is really limber as compared to the non-affected leg.

Cindy B. on 8/17/02 at 18:01 (092772)

Lee, great to hear your heel is better and things are going so well!! I am now almost 7 weeks post ESWT. I did have a set back a week ago, but it was my fault, I over did things (18 holes of golf, lawn mowing and shopping over a weekend). I paid the price for 2 days, but things are back on track now!! I start back to school on Monday and will be on my feet for 8-9 hours a day, so we'll see.... That stabbing pain you wrote about is something I also experience...not real often but it is a bit bizarre like you said. I tried a night splint a couple of years ago and like it, but not real comfortable for me (instep region), also my doctor told me not to wear it?? I was originally, 3 1/2 years ago, put in a half of a plaster cast at night with ace wraps and found this very good, but the plaster cast breaks pretty easy. I do still have pain upon rising, but it does not last long and then towards the end of the day it returns when I start slowing down for the day. Still stretching and walking 1-2 miles a day. Do you or anyone else who had ESWT have any swelling or puffiness on the treated heel. I did before the procedure, but not immediately after and now during the last couple of weeks the puffiness returned??? Overall, I do feel my heel is better and that ESWT was worth going through. Good luck and I hope things continue on the right track!!!

Lee on 8/18/02 at 08:50 (092826)

Hi Cindy,

No, I have not had any swelling on the heel, except for a few days after the procedure. Boy, it is encouraging to see how active you are 7 weeks post ESWT, and that with minor setbacks, your symptoms resolve. I was curious to read that your Dr. advised you against wearing the night splint? I wonder why? I have entertained not wearing it for a night or two to see if I feel different, but I guess I don't have the courage! Things are going so well, don't want to tamper with success!

The only other thing I wanted to mention that I am doing is I am using Birkenstock inserts in my shoes, and use Birkenstock sandals around the house. I got a pair of Tatami's- Georgia, and my feet love them. This sandal has a little bit of a heel to it, and great arch support. I used to wear Brooks Beast tennis shoes, but find that some of the pain actually returns when I wear them. I really need the rigid insert.

Again, it is so good to hear about your success....hope it continues...Lee