Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

post mortons neuroma op(scar problem)

Posted by tom h on 8/08/02 at 03:30 (091914)

9 months ago i had an operation due to above subject.what a relief!.problem now is as it left a scar on the pad on my foot it seems to be taking time healing.i've tried using vit.'a' cream also aloe vera but to no avail.scar is gradually diminishing but healing very slowly,having to move around does not help.have any of you kind people any ideas to remove scar tissue please? yours sincerely tom.

Re: post mortons neuroma op(scar problem)

elliott on 8/08/02 at 08:18 (091922)

Can I ask what the criteria were to do a bottom-of-the-foot rather than a top-of-the-foot incision? The first seems largely to be going out of favor, in part due to the problems you're experiencing now. Glad you got relief, though.

--

Tonya on 8/08/02 at 09:42 (091942)

Vitamin E oil is also very good. I used it along with cocoa butter with aloe. I massaged vitamin e into the incision in the morning and evening, and used the cocoa butter immediately after I got out of the shower. I had open pf release 09-May-02 and you can now hardly see my scar. I'm sure your incision is larger than mine, but i'm sure it would react the same way to the vitamin e. Best of luck. Tonya

Pauline on 8/08/02 at 11:10 (091962)

Elliott,
I think you bring up a point that many people don't realize and that is there may be different or newer procedures for the various surgeries that are being done today. This holds true for all parts of the body not just the foot.

When we talk about someone doing their homework, it must also include research into the proposed treatment being offered. Different doctors may or may not offer the same surgical technique nor are some as good as others. This has been posted many times.

A patient considering any surgery should make it a point to check on the latest treatments and various procedures available. Case in point a doctor that doesn't do a laprascopic gall bladder removal usually doesn't send you down the street to the surgeon that does. He leaves it up to the patient must seek out the latest treatments available and he isn't going to tell you how many procedures he's done unless you ask.

Patients having any kind of surgery should find out all they can before selecting the surgeon and the technique to be used.

tom h on 8/08/02 at 11:19 (091963)

dear tonya,first of all thanks for your kind reply.i have healed okay the on the outside of my foot,hardly see the scar,its the inside(scar tissue)that i'm having probs with.its been nine months since the op.(that was a blessing, i no need to tell you).i thought that all would be fine by now. time i think will be the healer.at the moment i am using an anti-inflamatory cream and walk a little less distance to give the healing a chance.my incision was only 3 inches,i used all that you suggested except cocoa butter ,perhaps that was the missing link?!well Tonya if you have any more suggestions i will gladly try them.once again thanks for your concern,regards Tom x.

tom h on 8/08/02 at 11:29 (091964)

pauline,if i went private i would most likely have options you suggested but unfortunately it can be a lottery,but you make sense.on my particular op i would think common sense prevailed?thankyou for your thoughts.Tom x

Tonya on 8/08/02 at 12:31 (091972)

Sorry I couldn't give you better advice. Hopefully some of the others who post can offer you some advice that may help you out. They can truly be a wealth of info. Good luck. Tonya

Tonya on 8/08/02 at 12:34 (091973)

Also, have you told your doctor that you are experiencing a painful scar? What has he/she suggested?

Joe S on 8/08/02 at 18:02 (092015)

There are several approaches for Neuroma excision. The plantar approach offers better visualization. However, you run the risk of a hypertrophic scar which can be quite painful. The dorsal incision allows a person to return to their activities somewhat quicker. The dorsal approach is not without its problems. Typically, alot of dissection is required leaving a potential space (kind of like a cavity). This increases the chance of infection, wound dehiscence, hematoma etc... I prefer the dorsal approach. I prefer to not operate on these that much. As far as scarring, there is an ointment called Mederma that may help. I believe it is over the counter.

Joe S on 8/08/02 at 18:03 (092016)

You may need it injected with a steroid. These seem to help.

Re: Tom- Vitamin E oil

Julie on 8/09/02 at 01:02 (092038)

Tom, I've just seen your question. Vitamin E oil, as someone has suggested, may help. Use the capsules (more potent than the cosmetic oils with a little Vit E in). Snip the end off a capsule, squeeze it, and massage it into the scar. If the problem is pain due to adhesions (and not just discomfort due to the presence/thickness of the scar) you might find stronger foot massage by a professional a help, but check with your doctor first.

elliott on 8/08/02 at 08:18 (091922)

Can I ask what the criteria were to do a bottom-of-the-foot rather than a top-of-the-foot incision? The first seems largely to be going out of favor, in part due to the problems you're experiencing now. Glad you got relief, though.

--

Tonya on 8/08/02 at 09:42 (091942)

Vitamin E oil is also very good. I used it along with cocoa butter with aloe. I massaged vitamin e into the incision in the morning and evening, and used the cocoa butter immediately after I got out of the shower. I had open pf release 09-May-02 and you can now hardly see my scar. I'm sure your incision is larger than mine, but i'm sure it would react the same way to the vitamin e. Best of luck. Tonya

Pauline on 8/08/02 at 11:10 (091962)

Elliott,
I think you bring up a point that many people don't realize and that is there may be different or newer procedures for the various surgeries that are being done today. This holds true for all parts of the body not just the foot.

When we talk about someone doing their homework, it must also include research into the proposed treatment being offered. Different doctors may or may not offer the same surgical technique nor are some as good as others. This has been posted many times.

A patient considering any surgery should make it a point to check on the latest treatments and various procedures available. Case in point a doctor that doesn't do a laprascopic gall bladder removal usually doesn't send you down the street to the surgeon that does. He leaves it up to the patient must seek out the latest treatments available and he isn't going to tell you how many procedures he's done unless you ask.

Patients having any kind of surgery should find out all they can before selecting the surgeon and the technique to be used.

tom h on 8/08/02 at 11:19 (091963)

dear tonya,first of all thanks for your kind reply.i have healed okay the on the outside of my foot,hardly see the scar,its the inside(scar tissue)that i'm having probs with.its been nine months since the op.(that was a blessing, i no need to tell you).i thought that all would be fine by now. time i think will be the healer.at the moment i am using an anti-inflamatory cream and walk a little less distance to give the healing a chance.my incision was only 3 inches,i used all that you suggested except cocoa butter ,perhaps that was the missing link?!well Tonya if you have any more suggestions i will gladly try them.once again thanks for your concern,regards Tom x.

tom h on 8/08/02 at 11:29 (091964)

pauline,if i went private i would most likely have options you suggested but unfortunately it can be a lottery,but you make sense.on my particular op i would think common sense prevailed?thankyou for your thoughts.Tom x

Tonya on 8/08/02 at 12:31 (091972)

Sorry I couldn't give you better advice. Hopefully some of the others who post can offer you some advice that may help you out. They can truly be a wealth of info. Good luck. Tonya

Tonya on 8/08/02 at 12:34 (091973)

Also, have you told your doctor that you are experiencing a painful scar? What has he/she suggested?

Joe S on 8/08/02 at 18:02 (092015)

There are several approaches for Neuroma excision. The plantar approach offers better visualization. However, you run the risk of a hypertrophic scar which can be quite painful. The dorsal incision allows a person to return to their activities somewhat quicker. The dorsal approach is not without its problems. Typically, alot of dissection is required leaving a potential space (kind of like a cavity). This increases the chance of infection, wound dehiscence, hematoma etc... I prefer the dorsal approach. I prefer to not operate on these that much. As far as scarring, there is an ointment called Mederma that may help. I believe it is over the counter.

Joe S on 8/08/02 at 18:03 (092016)

You may need it injected with a steroid. These seem to help.

Re: Tom- Vitamin E oil

Julie on 8/09/02 at 01:02 (092038)

Tom, I've just seen your question. Vitamin E oil, as someone has suggested, may help. Use the capsules (more potent than the cosmetic oils with a little Vit E in). Snip the end off a capsule, squeeze it, and massage it into the scar. If the problem is pain due to adhesions (and not just discomfort due to the presence/thickness of the scar) you might find stronger foot massage by a professional a help, but check with your doctor first.