Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Nancy S - I was afraid one of the sharks had gotten you......

Posted by Kathy G on 8/08/02 at 09:56 (091945)

but I am relieved, since scanning some boards I've never been to, to see your name. You mentioned having had no plumbing for the last two weeks. That and trying to run a business would certainly be enough to keep you busy!

Can you believe they spotted sharks off of Wells Beach? For those of you not from the area, sharks were spotted for three days in a row, off the coast of Wells Beach, Maine. Wells Beach is in southern Maine and a beautiful white sandy beach on the Atlantic. The sharks were out only fifty feet from shore and were swimming in as little as three feet of water. This is not a common happening for New England. In fact, I can't remember it ever happening in my lifetime. Then again, lots of things have probably happened in my lifetime that I didn't read about! I try to be everywhere, but you know how it is!

Anyway, they had to close the beach and the newspaper article I read said this was only the second time that Wells Beach has ever been closed. Of course, the article didn't go on to explain what caused the first closing. Nancy lives at Old Orchard Beach, just a few miles up the coast from Wells.
They believe the sharks came closer to shore because the ocean temperature is 71 degrees, which is exceptionally warm for Maine water. The smaller fish, like striped bass, bluefish and mackrel, come in closer to shore for the warmer water and the sharks naturally follow. They think that once the ocean temperature drops (I think it was 69 yesterday), the sharks will go back out into the deeper waters.

Between snakehead fish, whale beachings, and sharks, it's been quite a summer for New Englanders! It makes one think twice before going in to swim!

So, Nancy, I'm just happy that it is constuction problems that is keeping you occupied and that you haven't been out swimming amongst the sharks!

Re: Nancy S - I was afraid one of the sharks had gotten you......

Necee on 8/08/02 at 13:26 (091977)

Well, look at it this way.....with all the shark scares, etc, hopefully that might chase everyone away from the beach and into Nancy's antique shop instead.
It could be a good thing.

Happy trails...

Necee

Kathy G on 8/08/02 at 17:23 (092010)

Necee,

Seriously, I guess that many of the people who have rented cottages at Wells are afraid to go back into the water so I'll bet that the gift shops, etc. are almost as crowded as they are when it rains. Nancy could be profiting from those sharks! Let's hope so!

nancy s. on 8/09/02 at 11:53 (092060)

hi kathy, hi necee -- i'm on a quick break from the shop. thanks for thinking of me. yah, sharks! can you believe it? no! i'm glad i didn't know about them last saturday, when the heat got to me so badly that i closed the door early and went running into the ocean (along with about 50,000 other people). stayed out there about 45 minutes, and rode the big waves, got tossed around, and generally had a magnificent time. it was the highlight of the summer. i hadn't done that since i was kid.

the sharks (not seen here yet -- just in Wells) are a shock to everybody. they were seen in waist-high water, and as you can imagine most of us go in deeper than that on a hot day. rather scary! supposedly this type of shark has been known to attack humans only four times since the year 1570 or something. so the odds are low -- but still too high for me!

i don't know if the shop is benefiting, but yesterday was an excellent sales day, so who knows? maybe it was no coincidence.

keep cool, everyone (except wendy).

Kathy G on 8/10/02 at 10:50 (092123)

Hi Nancy,

Yes, it sure is astounding and I wouldn't want to take any chances, either. We went up to Rye last Wednesday and just waded and the water was wonderful! I couldn't believe how warm it was! I wished I'd brought my suit. It was much cooler and windier inland than it was on the coast which is unusual. I'm glad you played hooky Saturday. Everyone should take advantage of swimming in the ocean whenever they can!

My husband played golf with a guy who rented a place at Wells for last week. He said that most people went back in on Wednesday when it was deemed safe but that he kept a watchful eye while swimming.

Necee on 8/08/02 at 13:26 (091977)

Well, look at it this way.....with all the shark scares, etc, hopefully that might chase everyone away from the beach and into Nancy's antique shop instead.
It could be a good thing.

Happy trails...

Necee

Kathy G on 8/08/02 at 17:23 (092010)

Necee,

Seriously, I guess that many of the people who have rented cottages at Wells are afraid to go back into the water so I'll bet that the gift shops, etc. are almost as crowded as they are when it rains. Nancy could be profiting from those sharks! Let's hope so!

nancy s. on 8/09/02 at 11:53 (092060)

hi kathy, hi necee -- i'm on a quick break from the shop. thanks for thinking of me. yah, sharks! can you believe it? no! i'm glad i didn't know about them last saturday, when the heat got to me so badly that i closed the door early and went running into the ocean (along with about 50,000 other people). stayed out there about 45 minutes, and rode the big waves, got tossed around, and generally had a magnificent time. it was the highlight of the summer. i hadn't done that since i was kid.

the sharks (not seen here yet -- just in Wells) are a shock to everybody. they were seen in waist-high water, and as you can imagine most of us go in deeper than that on a hot day. rather scary! supposedly this type of shark has been known to attack humans only four times since the year 1570 or something. so the odds are low -- but still too high for me!

i don't know if the shop is benefiting, but yesterday was an excellent sales day, so who knows? maybe it was no coincidence.

keep cool, everyone (except wendy).

Kathy G on 8/10/02 at 10:50 (092123)

Hi Nancy,

Yes, it sure is astounding and I wouldn't want to take any chances, either. We went up to Rye last Wednesday and just waded and the water was wonderful! I couldn't believe how warm it was! I wished I'd brought my suit. It was much cooler and windier inland than it was on the coast which is unusual. I'm glad you played hooky Saturday. Everyone should take advantage of swimming in the ocean whenever they can!

My husband played golf with a guy who rented a place at Wells for last week. He said that most people went back in on Wednesday when it was deemed safe but that he kept a watchful eye while swimming.