Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: wrong size shoes

Posted by Necee on 8/08/02 at 13:41 (091981)

It's amazing to me how many people are wearing the wrong size shoes, and they NEVER have any trouble with their feet! I know several who wear nothing but highheels, or these pityful looking nonsupport shoes, or ones that go barefooted all the time, and their feet never do hurt them.

Happy trails....

Necee

Pauline on 8/08/02 at 14:27 (091987)

Necee,
I love to watch the people walking the malls in flip flops. That drives me mad when I'm constantly in my N.B. running shoes. I think we've all become feet watchers since our P.F. hit.

Suzanne D on 8/08/02 at 15:36 (091996)

I agree! And I notice whether people turn their feet outwards when they walk or in. And the platform shoes and flip-flops just 'kill' me to see!

Suzanne :-)

Julie on 8/08/02 at 16:38 (092005)

Necee I think you should change that observation to 'they don't have trouble with their feet YET'.

Kathy G on 8/08/02 at 17:32 (092013)

My late father hated to shop. My mother used to pick out shoes, size 10C, bring them home and he'd wear them the next day. Never had a problem with them. In later years, after an automobile accident in which he broke an ankle he had sprained and broken on at least four other occasions, he switched to a 10 1/2 C. Same thing. After my mother died, I did the same thing for him. I used to marvel at it!

Oh, and yes, Suzanne, and my daughter is also guilty of wearing those awful high 'slides' that most of the college girls wear. I keep telling her how bad they are for her feet! I will say that the last few pairs she's bought have reasonable heel heights so maybe she listened to me. Now that she's 21, she's at that age where she actually realizes that her father and I have brains. You know how it is, you lose your brains when they hit their teens and then as they near 20 or so, you mysteriously get them back again!

Andrue on 8/09/02 at 06:04 (092043)

I know someone who is pedalling his exercise bike barefoot. I've warned him what the possible outcome will be (that's probably how I got my PF). He knows how long I've been recovering (nearly a year now but I am a lot better). He has been to this site to look for himself.

His last comment was:'If I start to get the odd twinge I'll do something about it'. Sigh.

Carole C in NOLA on 8/09/02 at 09:56 (092054)

Tell him you aren't the only one who got PF by bicycling barefoot. I did too, on my exercise bike. I also had the tension set at the highest level and had my seat poorly adjusted.

It has been ten and a half months for me. I am a lot better too, but this has not been the way I wanted to spend the last year.

When I first started feeling the first twinges, I thought I'd wait a week or two and see if they went away. They were so mild. When they didn't, I started reading here, and eventually got diagnosed and started conservative treatments.

At first I didn't know that there was anything wrong with bicycling barefoot, though, so I continued for a couple of months after getting PF.

Please tell your friend that it takes time to 'do something about it', because it takes time to learn what to do and what not to do when you have PF. There isn't any quick fix like there is to most other medical conditions. By the time he learns what to do, and spots the problems in his daily routine that must be corrected, he may have a full blown case of PF.

It's so much easier to just put on some good, supportive tie shoes now for preventative purposes, and enjoy being able to exercise.

Carole C

Andrue on 8/09/02 at 10:42 (092055)

Yes I'm pleased you've been making progress - early on you were a lot worse than me. I think we are at similar stages. I can go barefoot without pain or discomfort now and if I need to refresh my drink or check on cooking I do without bothering to put my sneakers back on.

It'd just be nice if I could kick this 'pain when resting' thing. Okay so it isn't major pain but it's annoying. It's like there's some imp under my chair who keeps prodding my heel with a pointed stick :)

I still have achey feet but then I now also have achey hands and arms. Possibly it's related. My new doctor is going to look at this when I next see her. It could be that Myofascial pain thing except that I am having no problems sleeping.

Re: Andrue

Julie on 8/10/02 at 16:30 (092135)

Here's a little hope for you. It sounds to me as though you are healing, and that what you're experiencing now are the residual twinges. I had them for quite a while after my PF was virtually healed, and I felt 90-95% better: I got little aches mostly after resting, and sometimes after more weight-bearing activity than usual. They never bothered me unduly because I was so much better during that time, and gradually they disappeared. I don't get them any more.

See what happens. Keep an eye on them, and keep being good to your feet, and I hope the last stages of your healing will follow a similar pattern.

Andrue on 8/11/02 at 04:20 (092168)

Thank you - a very hopeful response. Maybe next Summer I'll be out and about a lot more.

Pauline on 8/08/02 at 14:27 (091987)

Necee,
I love to watch the people walking the malls in flip flops. That drives me mad when I'm constantly in my N.B. running shoes. I think we've all become feet watchers since our P.F. hit.

Suzanne D on 8/08/02 at 15:36 (091996)

I agree! And I notice whether people turn their feet outwards when they walk or in. And the platform shoes and flip-flops just 'kill' me to see!

Suzanne :-)

Julie on 8/08/02 at 16:38 (092005)

Necee I think you should change that observation to 'they don't have trouble with their feet YET'.

Kathy G on 8/08/02 at 17:32 (092013)

My late father hated to shop. My mother used to pick out shoes, size 10C, bring them home and he'd wear them the next day. Never had a problem with them. In later years, after an automobile accident in which he broke an ankle he had sprained and broken on at least four other occasions, he switched to a 10 1/2 C. Same thing. After my mother died, I did the same thing for him. I used to marvel at it!

Oh, and yes, Suzanne, and my daughter is also guilty of wearing those awful high 'slides' that most of the college girls wear. I keep telling her how bad they are for her feet! I will say that the last few pairs she's bought have reasonable heel heights so maybe she listened to me. Now that she's 21, she's at that age where she actually realizes that her father and I have brains. You know how it is, you lose your brains when they hit their teens and then as they near 20 or so, you mysteriously get them back again!

Andrue on 8/09/02 at 06:04 (092043)

I know someone who is pedalling his exercise bike barefoot. I've warned him what the possible outcome will be (that's probably how I got my PF). He knows how long I've been recovering (nearly a year now but I am a lot better). He has been to this site to look for himself.

His last comment was:'If I start to get the odd twinge I'll do something about it'. Sigh.

Carole C in NOLA on 8/09/02 at 09:56 (092054)

Tell him you aren't the only one who got PF by bicycling barefoot. I did too, on my exercise bike. I also had the tension set at the highest level and had my seat poorly adjusted.

It has been ten and a half months for me. I am a lot better too, but this has not been the way I wanted to spend the last year.

When I first started feeling the first twinges, I thought I'd wait a week or two and see if they went away. They were so mild. When they didn't, I started reading here, and eventually got diagnosed and started conservative treatments.

At first I didn't know that there was anything wrong with bicycling barefoot, though, so I continued for a couple of months after getting PF.

Please tell your friend that it takes time to 'do something about it', because it takes time to learn what to do and what not to do when you have PF. There isn't any quick fix like there is to most other medical conditions. By the time he learns what to do, and spots the problems in his daily routine that must be corrected, he may have a full blown case of PF.

It's so much easier to just put on some good, supportive tie shoes now for preventative purposes, and enjoy being able to exercise.

Carole C

Andrue on 8/09/02 at 10:42 (092055)

Yes I'm pleased you've been making progress - early on you were a lot worse than me. I think we are at similar stages. I can go barefoot without pain or discomfort now and if I need to refresh my drink or check on cooking I do without bothering to put my sneakers back on.

It'd just be nice if I could kick this 'pain when resting' thing. Okay so it isn't major pain but it's annoying. It's like there's some imp under my chair who keeps prodding my heel with a pointed stick :)

I still have achey feet but then I now also have achey hands and arms. Possibly it's related. My new doctor is going to look at this when I next see her. It could be that Myofascial pain thing except that I am having no problems sleeping.

Julie on 8/10/02 at 16:30 (092135)

Here's a little hope for you. It sounds to me as though you are healing, and that what you're experiencing now are the residual twinges. I had them for quite a while after my PF was virtually healed, and I felt 90-95% better: I got little aches mostly after resting, and sometimes after more weight-bearing activity than usual. They never bothered me unduly because I was so much better during that time, and gradually they disappeared. I don't get them any more.

See what happens. Keep an eye on them, and keep being good to your feet, and I hope the last stages of your healing will follow a similar pattern.

Andrue on 8/11/02 at 04:20 (092168)

Thank you - a very hopeful response. Maybe next Summer I'll be out and about a lot more.