Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Pain

Posted by Necee on 8/08/02 at 14:14 (091986)

It's all about acceptance, and finding other ways to bring contentment into our lives.

This whole PF thing means major adjustments to us all.
We have had to give up or cut back on the things we enjoy doing, like running, hiking, etc. Some have had to leave their jobs. But, we know that we all have no choice but to trudge on, that means finding other means of happiness and fulfillment. Our lives will never be the same, so we must focus on other hobbys, etc. Happiness comes from within our hearts, and what brings me happiness is not thinking so much about myself, and my aches and pains, but others and their burdens. I find that if I focus on helping a friend through a difficult time or circumstance, then I feel much better about myself...I forget about my troubles and my pain....I'm not saying it goes away, but at least it takes my mind off of it for a while. Life's not about me...me...me... but rather about how I can help someone else, if I can bring a smile to someones face then I'm happy.
It's not easy living with foot pain, or any type of pain....but,I'm just thankful its not cancer, things could be worse.
I hope and pray that my friends here will find other means to bring joy into their lives.

Happy trails to you.....

Necee

Re: Hope and Determination

Carole C in NOLA on 8/08/02 at 15:04 (091991)

I'm not a religious person, so some people might think that I do not have faith. But, I do have faith in some things. I have absolute faith that if I hang on to my determination to do whatever it takes to heal, and keep giving it my all, that healing is inevitable for me. It may take a long long time, but it will happen. Without faith, hope would fade away. Without hope, I'd lose my focus and it would all be downhill from there. It's sort of a circular process.

You are right that our lives will never be the same. At least mine won't. Some of us may return to our original capability to walk, run, or hike. Others may not. Having experienced what we've experienced, people here develop a new compassion for others with mobility problems, or at least I believe that most of us have a different outlook on life.

Patience and the acceptance of which you speak are integrally bound to determination. We MUST be patient if we are ever going to get from point A to point B. Otherwise, it's too easy to give up and do stupid things that injure our feet. This is just my opinion, that's all.

Carole C

Re: Well said, Necee!

Suzanne D on 8/08/02 at 15:30 (091994)

You expressed how I feel on the subject but hadn't been able to put into words. In every life there are disappointments and pain at one time or another. And, yes, some seem to have more than their 'fair share'. It seems to me that how we handle those circumstances makes a big difference in the quality of our lives.

It's difficult not to focus on our pain and loss, but the more we are able to reach out to others and take our eyes off ourselves, truly the happier we become. It may sound like 'Pollyanna' to reiterate that 'it's better to give than to receive' or 'look for the good' and such sayings, but they hold much truth.

Someone in my family had a rough childhood and still carries so much hurt which he just seems unable to let go of. It spills over into the rest of our lives and causes lots of problems. Most of all, it makes him utterly miserable. Every set-back, every disappointment - no matter how minor - brings it all back, and he is angry and bitter. I don't want to let my pain and frustration ever bring me to that point. I see first-hand where that leads.

Well, I didn't mean to preach! :-) Thanks, Necee, for your message.

Suzanne :-)

Necee on 8/08/02 at 16:32 (092004)

Thanks gals! I appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Happy trails to you...

Necee

Re: Good sentiments for us to remember, Necee! NM

Kathy G on 8/08/02 at 17:25 (092011)

Thanks for the reminder.

Re: Hope and Determination

Carole C in NOLA on 8/08/02 at 15:04 (091991)

I'm not a religious person, so some people might think that I do not have faith. But, I do have faith in some things. I have absolute faith that if I hang on to my determination to do whatever it takes to heal, and keep giving it my all, that healing is inevitable for me. It may take a long long time, but it will happen. Without faith, hope would fade away. Without hope, I'd lose my focus and it would all be downhill from there. It's sort of a circular process.

You are right that our lives will never be the same. At least mine won't. Some of us may return to our original capability to walk, run, or hike. Others may not. Having experienced what we've experienced, people here develop a new compassion for others with mobility problems, or at least I believe that most of us have a different outlook on life.

Patience and the acceptance of which you speak are integrally bound to determination. We MUST be patient if we are ever going to get from point A to point B. Otherwise, it's too easy to give up and do stupid things that injure our feet. This is just my opinion, that's all.

Carole C

Re: Well said, Necee!

Suzanne D on 8/08/02 at 15:30 (091994)

You expressed how I feel on the subject but hadn't been able to put into words. In every life there are disappointments and pain at one time or another. And, yes, some seem to have more than their 'fair share'. It seems to me that how we handle those circumstances makes a big difference in the quality of our lives.

It's difficult not to focus on our pain and loss, but the more we are able to reach out to others and take our eyes off ourselves, truly the happier we become. It may sound like 'Pollyanna' to reiterate that 'it's better to give than to receive' or 'look for the good' and such sayings, but they hold much truth.

Someone in my family had a rough childhood and still carries so much hurt which he just seems unable to let go of. It spills over into the rest of our lives and causes lots of problems. Most of all, it makes him utterly miserable. Every set-back, every disappointment - no matter how minor - brings it all back, and he is angry and bitter. I don't want to let my pain and frustration ever bring me to that point. I see first-hand where that leads.

Well, I didn't mean to preach! :-) Thanks, Necee, for your message.

Suzanne :-)

Necee on 8/08/02 at 16:32 (092004)

Thanks gals! I appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Happy trails to you...

Necee

Re: Good sentiments for us to remember, Necee! NM

Kathy G on 8/08/02 at 17:25 (092011)

Thanks for the reminder.