Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

More swelling with orthotic and brace

Posted by matts on 8/08/02 at 19:32 (092019)

I often read this board but have not asked for advice in a long time since a brace has been relieving the pain of posterial tibial tendonitis and some pf. I have been trying otc orthotics and my custom ones, but was starting to hurt again around the ankle and tendon so I went back to afo brace.

My foot around the ankle swells a lot more when I wear the custom orthotics or brace, but while I have them on it does help with the pain quite a bit. Is the swelling a bad sign, good sign or nothing to worry about? I would appreciate any advice or experience with this kind of swelling and return of pain while wearing a brace. Thank you.

Re: More swelling with orthotic and brace

Julie on 8/09/02 at 01:06 (092039)

It sounds as though the brace (presumably of the elastic slip on type) may be too tight. Have you considered trying the next size up>

matts on 8/09/02 at 22:23 (092109)

Thanks for response. The brace is a ankle foot orthotic made from plastic and covers entire bottom of foot and up to just below knee with a hinge at the ankle. It was prescribed for the tendonitis and has helped, but get the swelling and pain returns pretty quick when not wearing it.

Julie on 8/10/02 at 16:48 (092140)

If it was prescribed by your doctor, why not go back to the doctor and have it checked out? If it's cutting off your circulation (which could account for the swelling) it ought to be adjusted.

matts on 8/13/02 at 20:16 (092395)

I did not think of that since the afo is custom made, I will check on the brace fitting.

Julie on 8/09/02 at 01:06 (092039)

It sounds as though the brace (presumably of the elastic slip on type) may be too tight. Have you considered trying the next size up>

matts on 8/09/02 at 22:23 (092109)

Thanks for response. The brace is a ankle foot orthotic made from plastic and covers entire bottom of foot and up to just below knee with a hinge at the ankle. It was prescribed for the tendonitis and has helped, but get the swelling and pain returns pretty quick when not wearing it.

Julie on 8/10/02 at 16:48 (092140)

If it was prescribed by your doctor, why not go back to the doctor and have it checked out? If it's cutting off your circulation (which could account for the swelling) it ought to be adjusted.

matts on 8/13/02 at 20:16 (092395)

I did not think of that since the afo is custom made, I will check on the brace fitting.