Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Why pain when resting?

Posted by Andrue on 8/09/02 at 08:44 (092050)

I now very rarely have pain when I'm walking (the most I have is a slight ache or bruised feeling at various points along my sole) but I still get twinges under the centre of my left heel when I'm resting. If my foot is tilted on it's outer edge and perhaps bent down these twinges can be quite painful.

Is this just another PF symptom that'll go away or does it actually indicate something specific?

Re: Why pain when resting?

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/10/02 at 08:42 (092113)

How long have you had pf. Did you have foot surgery. This sound like a tendonitis and or plantar fasciitis. How much walking are you doing

Andrue on 8/10/02 at 11:09 (092124)

I've had PF for nearly a year now though it came on gradually (I think the result of a specific injury) and only became significant last October. Since February of this year it's mostly been discomfort since the pain was only triggered by pressure in front of my heel at the base of the arch which sneakers helped me avoid.

For the past month I've been on a prescription NSAID (stopped last week) and now I don't really get pain even if I put pressure in front of my heel. There's some tender areas along my main arches but these are fading. At present I can walk barefoot without any discomfort (something I couldn't really do earlier in the year) but I don't make a habit of it.

Walking in general..well I walk into town from my office for lunch a couple of times a week (about a twenty minute round trip and some time spent standing at checkouts). It doesn't usually hurt but my feet do ache a bit and it does make the resting pain a bit more frequent.

I haven't had any surgery and to be honest the pain is not much worse than what you'd get if you had a stone in your shoe. It just seems a bit odd that it should occur when I'm resting and not when I'm walking.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/10/02 at 08:42 (092113)

How long have you had pf. Did you have foot surgery. This sound like a tendonitis and or plantar fasciitis. How much walking are you doing

Andrue on 8/10/02 at 11:09 (092124)

I've had PF for nearly a year now though it came on gradually (I think the result of a specific injury) and only became significant last October. Since February of this year it's mostly been discomfort since the pain was only triggered by pressure in front of my heel at the base of the arch which sneakers helped me avoid.

For the past month I've been on a prescription NSAID (stopped last week) and now I don't really get pain even if I put pressure in front of my heel. There's some tender areas along my main arches but these are fading. At present I can walk barefoot without any discomfort (something I couldn't really do earlier in the year) but I don't make a habit of it.

Walking in general..well I walk into town from my office for lunch a couple of times a week (about a twenty minute round trip and some time spent standing at checkouts). It doesn't usually hurt but my feet do ache a bit and it does make the resting pain a bit more frequent.

I haven't had any surgery and to be honest the pain is not much worse than what you'd get if you had a stone in your shoe. It just seems a bit odd that it should occur when I'm resting and not when I'm walking.