Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TREATING HEAL SPURS

Posted by SARA A/ on 8/09/02 at 09:45 (092053)

I HAVE A HEAL SPUR IN MY LEFT FOOT AND HAVE HAD IT FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS.
I HAVE USED HEAL CUPS AND ARCH SUPPORTS WHICH HAVEN'T HELPED. I AM ALWAYS READING HOW YOU SHOULD STAY OFF YOUR FEET AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. WHY THEN, WOULDN'T IT HELP IN THE HEALING PROCESS TO GET ON CRUTCHES FOR 2 OR 3 WEEKS AND KEEP OFF THE FOOT ENTIRELY, EXCEPT TO DO STRETCHING EXERCISES.
I HAVE HAD PLANTERS FASCIITIS IN MY RIGHT FOOT OFF AND ON (MORE ON) FOR A DOZEN YEARS. I NEVER DEVELOPED AN ACTUAL SPUR IN THAT FOOT. I CAN SEE WHERE EXERCISES, ORTHODICS AND SPLINTS CAN HELP FOR THIS CONDITION, BUT WILL THE SPUR ITSELF JUST DISSOLVE AWAY IF THE PLANTERS FASCITTIS IS STRENGTHENED?
I AM GOING TO A PODIOTRIST THIS WEEK AND WILL HOPEFULLY GET SOME HELP. UNFORTUNATELY MY INSURANCE WON'T PAY FOR ORTHODICS. WHAT A SURPRISE!!!!!

Re: TREATING HEAL SPURS

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/09/02 at 17:20 (092080)

Hi

Read the heel pain book. Excellent information. That's a long time to be in pain. When the problem is chronic it is very hard to resolve without surgery or ESWT. I prefer ESWT. It is non-invasive and very effective.

lupe C on 8/10/02 at 15:32 (092131)

About three weeks ago I began to have severe pain in my left heel. While asleep, I did not feel any pain. However, once I woke up and tried to walk on my left foot, I could not do it. It takes me about ten minutes before I can walk, with a limp, around the house. I have been walking about two miles in the morning and two miles in the evening for the past year. I have always been pysically active. I am overweight (about fifteen pounds). Since the symptoms have just begun, what type of treatment would you recommend. After reading the websites, I know I should rest the foot; tape it when on my feet; and use ice. Anything else I should do? Will I always have to deal with this? Oh, I am flat footed.

SARA A/ on 8/12/02 at 06:42 (092275)

THANKS, DR. ZUCKERMAN, FOR RESPONDING TO MY QUESTION. I LIKED THE IDEA OF THE ESWT UNTIL THE DOCTOR TOLD ME THAT IT WOULD PROBABLY REQUIRE THREE TREATMENTS AT $10,000 APIECE. INSURANCE MAY PAY FOR IT, BUT EVEN THEN IT WOULD BE ONLY 80% AND $6,000 IN CERTAINLY NOT IN MY BUDGET. IT SEEMS SO STRANGE THAT INSURANCE WILL PAY FOR SOMETHING LIKE THAT, BUT NOT PAY FOR THE ORTHOTICS. NO WONDER THE COST OF INSURANCE IS SKYROCKETING AND COMPANIES ARE CUTTING BACK ON THEIR EMPLOYEES COVERAGES. I WILL JUST HAVE TO HOPE THAT THE DOCTOR I AM SEEING CAN HELP ME WITH WHAT I HAVE TO WORK WITH.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/12/02 at 20:23 (092312)

Where do you live. It shouldn't cost that much. We charge $2500 for one foot with an additonal treatment if needed included

SARA A/ on 8/13/02 at 06:36 (092338)

I LIVE IN GERMANTOWN, MD. NOW THAT REALLY BUGS ME TO THINK THAT THERE IS THAT KIND OF DIFFERENCE IN PRICING. THIS IS THE KIND OF THING THAT MAKES A PERSON NOT GO TO THE DOCTOR. TWENTY PERCENT OF $2,500 IS STILL NOT SOMETHING I CAN HANDLE THAT EASILY, BUT AT LEAST IT IS IN THE REALM OF POSSIBILITY. WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED? MAYBE I SHOULD SEE YOU. MY GUESS IS THAT YOU ARE PROBABLY IN NYC OR ON THE WEST COAST.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/13/02 at 17:43 (092385)

Hi

We are in Woodbury, New Jersey. This is right out side of Philadelphia. We have many patients come from your neck of the woods. Just e-mail (email removed) or call 1-856-478-2097 for an appointment or additional ESWT information

SARA A/ on 8/16/02 at 14:21 (092673)

SAW THE PODIATRIST ON WED. HE GAVE ME EXERCISES TO DO AND A NIGHT SPLINT TO WEAR. ALSO GAVE ME THE NAME OF AN ORTHODIC CALLED SUPER FEET THAT I COULD GET AT THE STORE AND RECOMMENDED NEW BALANCE RUNNING SHOES STYLE W805. I WORE THE NIGHT SPLINT THAT NIGHT AND WAS VERY PLEASED AT HOW MUCH BETTER MY FOOT FELT IN THE MORNING. I HAD ALSO ASKED HIM ABOUT WEARING MY BIRKENSTOCK SANDALS WHICH SOMEONE HAD RECOMMENDED AS HAVING HELPED HER. HE SAID THEY WERE VERY GOOD, HAD A PAIR HIMSELF. I WORE THEM TO WORK THE NEXT DAY AND MY FOOT FELT PRETTY GOOD. I WILL GET THE NEW BALANCE, TOO, WHEN BY BUDGET PERMITS(SANDALS CAN BE A LITTLY CHILLY IN THE WINTER).

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/09/02 at 17:20 (092080)

Hi

Read the heel pain book. Excellent information. That's a long time to be in pain. When the problem is chronic it is very hard to resolve without surgery or ESWT. I prefer ESWT. It is non-invasive and very effective.

lupe C on 8/10/02 at 15:32 (092131)

About three weeks ago I began to have severe pain in my left heel. While asleep, I did not feel any pain. However, once I woke up and tried to walk on my left foot, I could not do it. It takes me about ten minutes before I can walk, with a limp, around the house. I have been walking about two miles in the morning and two miles in the evening for the past year. I have always been pysically active. I am overweight (about fifteen pounds). Since the symptoms have just begun, what type of treatment would you recommend. After reading the websites, I know I should rest the foot; tape it when on my feet; and use ice. Anything else I should do? Will I always have to deal with this? Oh, I am flat footed.

SARA A/ on 8/12/02 at 06:42 (092275)

THANKS, DR. ZUCKERMAN, FOR RESPONDING TO MY QUESTION. I LIKED THE IDEA OF THE ESWT UNTIL THE DOCTOR TOLD ME THAT IT WOULD PROBABLY REQUIRE THREE TREATMENTS AT $10,000 APIECE. INSURANCE MAY PAY FOR IT, BUT EVEN THEN IT WOULD BE ONLY 80% AND $6,000 IN CERTAINLY NOT IN MY BUDGET. IT SEEMS SO STRANGE THAT INSURANCE WILL PAY FOR SOMETHING LIKE THAT, BUT NOT PAY FOR THE ORTHOTICS. NO WONDER THE COST OF INSURANCE IS SKYROCKETING AND COMPANIES ARE CUTTING BACK ON THEIR EMPLOYEES COVERAGES. I WILL JUST HAVE TO HOPE THAT THE DOCTOR I AM SEEING CAN HELP ME WITH WHAT I HAVE TO WORK WITH.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/12/02 at 20:23 (092312)

Where do you live. It shouldn't cost that much. We charge $2500 for one foot with an additonal treatment if needed included

SARA A/ on 8/13/02 at 06:36 (092338)

I LIVE IN GERMANTOWN, MD. NOW THAT REALLY BUGS ME TO THINK THAT THERE IS THAT KIND OF DIFFERENCE IN PRICING. THIS IS THE KIND OF THING THAT MAKES A PERSON NOT GO TO THE DOCTOR. TWENTY PERCENT OF $2,500 IS STILL NOT SOMETHING I CAN HANDLE THAT EASILY, BUT AT LEAST IT IS IN THE REALM OF POSSIBILITY. WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED? MAYBE I SHOULD SEE YOU. MY GUESS IS THAT YOU ARE PROBABLY IN NYC OR ON THE WEST COAST.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/13/02 at 17:43 (092385)

Hi

We are in Woodbury, New Jersey. This is right out side of Philadelphia. We have many patients come from your neck of the woods. Just e-mail (email removed) or call 1-856-478-2097 for an appointment or additional ESWT information

SARA A/ on 8/16/02 at 14:21 (092673)

SAW THE PODIATRIST ON WED. HE GAVE ME EXERCISES TO DO AND A NIGHT SPLINT TO WEAR. ALSO GAVE ME THE NAME OF AN ORTHODIC CALLED SUPER FEET THAT I COULD GET AT THE STORE AND RECOMMENDED NEW BALANCE RUNNING SHOES STYLE W805. I WORE THE NIGHT SPLINT THAT NIGHT AND WAS VERY PLEASED AT HOW MUCH BETTER MY FOOT FELT IN THE MORNING. I HAD ALSO ASKED HIM ABOUT WEARING MY BIRKENSTOCK SANDALS WHICH SOMEONE HAD RECOMMENDED AS HAVING HELPED HER. HE SAID THEY WERE VERY GOOD, HAD A PAIR HIMSELF. I WORE THEM TO WORK THE NEXT DAY AND MY FOOT FELT PRETTY GOOD. I WILL GET THE NEW BALANCE, TOO, WHEN BY BUDGET PERMITS(SANDALS CAN BE A LITTLY CHILLY IN THE WINTER).