Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

my "anniversary" with Heelspurs.com

Posted by Suzanne D on 8/09/02 at 19:08 (092089)

I just realized that it was a year ago that I found this site! Like tonight, it was the Friday night after the first week back to school for me. I was hurting and desperate, and finding this site was the best thing that could have happened. I want to thank all of you who have listened and responded and helped me and become my friends in the process. I thank you for writing about your situations so that I could learn from you and get to know you as well.

I credit what I have learned here - along with the support - for getting me through the past year. I am very thankful for the progress I have made. As I write, my feet feel so much better than they did a year ago. Even with my latest episode of poison ivy/alias spider bite/no, make that poison ivy with a reaction, they are in MUCH better shape than this time last year.

I think of you all each day and wish only the best for you. I would like to help others as you all have helped me. I just wanted to thank you on this 'year anniversary' of my being a part of Heelspurs.com!

Suzanne :-)

Re: my "anniversary" with Heelspurs.com

linda age on 8/09/02 at 21:26 (092100)

hello suzanne ! i am glad that your feet are doing much better from last year . i love reading your e-mails . i don't write too often , however i do receive alot of encouragement to keep going by reading the inspirational and funny stories that are often written on this site . i just read your story on the young father , who is in the army . sounds like a wondeful idea to cheer the guys in his troop by writing letters . i am still debating on buying the birkenstocks . have been working alot of overtime and my feet continue to ache and throbb . good news is i have spoken to a dietician at work to help me improve on my eating habits . i have such bad ones ; starving , grazing , and bingeing . i started back on bike about two weeks ago riding about a hour a day . it keeps me from being so depressed . . i know that i will always have this terrible pain , but now it seems that i am just trying to work it into my life . just deal with it one day at a time . and if i don't feel like biking i am so going to beat myself up . keep on writing i truly enjoy reading . i amassuming the father is from fort knox troops . linda ( ky)

Suzanne D on 8/09/02 at 21:43 (092102)

Hi, Linda! It's good to hear from you. I'm glad you are able to bike again. Finally, the weather has cooled down enough for you to enjoy doing so. These last few days have been nice with the cooler night and morning temperatures, haven't they?

Do you sometimes check the Birkenstock Express site? There are bargains listed, and I thought just maybe you might be able to find a pair in your size to try without paying full price. Of course there is the German site as well which is cheaper although it takes longer to receive the shoes.

I know what you mean about eating habits. For 24 years I have eaten school lunches, but this year I determined to change that. I haven't had any big weight gain, but I have found myself gradually creeping up the scales the last few years, and I would like to stop that trend. So I am bringing one of those Healthy Choice frozen meals which are around 270 calories each for my lunch along with a banana each day. I will say that I have found myself less hungry at the end of each day this week after eating those than I did when I ate the school lunches. Good luck in your new eating plans!

Yes, the soldier I spoke of is stationed right now at Ft. Knox. I overheard one of my little girls saying, 'I can't wait to tell my friends at church that I know a real soldier now!'

Take care,

Anthony P on 8/09/02 at 21:54 (092105)

Hi , Suzanne , Thats great news , Glad to read that your feeling better . Yes this is the best website , To have you here makes it
even better . You are a wonderful person and I thank you for your help over the past year .
Your friend at heelspurs.com : ) Anthony P

PS I will post my update soon

Suzanne D on 8/09/02 at 21:59 (092106)

I've been thinking of you lately, Anthony, and wondering if you have registered for the classes you were thinking of taking this fall. Thanks for your nice message! I appreciate it. You are always such a gentleman.

Hope you're feeling better!

Nancy N on 8/10/02 at 09:12 (092115)

I think I'm around my two-year anniversary--I first posted in a panicked mode after going for my second OrthoWave trial visit. I was in far more pain after the lidocaine wore off than I had been when I walked into the office. It did eventually subside (the theory was that they nicked a nerve when giving me the injection), but I was terrified that I'd been made even worse and would never be able to walk again--I was holding onto walls to get around the house that weekend.

But all has gone well, and I did eventually recover, even though I got the placebo treatment. I still credit this site for my recovery--without it, I would never have known what to try, what to avoid, what to look for in a doctor, etc, and I think that information is critical to success. I might have healed on my own given enough time, but I hate to think how long that might have taken--and how I might feel now if I hadn't healed.

I don't post much anymore (except about cars and road trips lately, apparently!) but I am still reading and still glad to be a part of the community here. :)

Kathy G on 8/10/02 at 10:44 (092122)

Suzanne,

Well, I don't know if 'Happy Anniversary' is appropriate here but you and I started on the boards around the same time, so it's a kind of anniversary for me, too. I was thinking about you just this morning as I have been having back problems which I think are worsened by using the computer so I've been trying to stay away from it. But I had to check up and see how everyone was, and if your foot was any better. Hope it's making some progress.

We apprciate your positive approach to life and enjoy your stories about your children. You're a real asset to these boards. Hope that when your feet recover, you don't stop posting!

Take care.

RACHAEL T. on 8/11/02 at 23:41 (092265)

Happy Foot Anniversary Suzanne! I, too, like you continue to improve. I should be thankful & YES, I am for the healthier foot days that I am having. Somehow, though, I get a bit nervous & scared on those 'reactive, bad' days & yes, they do still happen.....had a few last week. But, for those of you that are going thru this same stage as I am, I have found that the bad days aren't nearly as bad as once upon a time -- nor are they as long lasting! For that, I am thankful. I hope you are having good days, Suzanne & that you continue to improve. For me, it is 16 months of being a heelspurs.com addict - without this site, I am sure I wouldn't have been as strong throughout this PF journey.

linda age on 8/09/02 at 21:26 (092100)

hello suzanne ! i am glad that your feet are doing much better from last year . i love reading your e-mails . i don't write too often , however i do receive alot of encouragement to keep going by reading the inspirational and funny stories that are often written on this site . i just read your story on the young father , who is in the army . sounds like a wondeful idea to cheer the guys in his troop by writing letters . i am still debating on buying the birkenstocks . have been working alot of overtime and my feet continue to ache and throbb . good news is i have spoken to a dietician at work to help me improve on my eating habits . i have such bad ones ; starving , grazing , and bingeing . i started back on bike about two weeks ago riding about a hour a day . it keeps me from being so depressed . . i know that i will always have this terrible pain , but now it seems that i am just trying to work it into my life . just deal with it one day at a time . and if i don't feel like biking i am so going to beat myself up . keep on writing i truly enjoy reading . i amassuming the father is from fort knox troops . linda ( ky)

Suzanne D on 8/09/02 at 21:43 (092102)

Hi, Linda! It's good to hear from you. I'm glad you are able to bike again. Finally, the weather has cooled down enough for you to enjoy doing so. These last few days have been nice with the cooler night and morning temperatures, haven't they?

Do you sometimes check the Birkenstock Express site? There are bargains listed, and I thought just maybe you might be able to find a pair in your size to try without paying full price. Of course there is the German site as well which is cheaper although it takes longer to receive the shoes.

I know what you mean about eating habits. For 24 years I have eaten school lunches, but this year I determined to change that. I haven't had any big weight gain, but I have found myself gradually creeping up the scales the last few years, and I would like to stop that trend. So I am bringing one of those Healthy Choice frozen meals which are around 270 calories each for my lunch along with a banana each day. I will say that I have found myself less hungry at the end of each day this week after eating those than I did when I ate the school lunches. Good luck in your new eating plans!

Yes, the soldier I spoke of is stationed right now at Ft. Knox. I overheard one of my little girls saying, 'I can't wait to tell my friends at church that I know a real soldier now!'

Take care,

Anthony P on 8/09/02 at 21:54 (092105)

Hi , Suzanne , Thats great news , Glad to read that your feeling better . Yes this is the best website , To have you here makes it
even better . You are a wonderful person and I thank you for your help over the past year .
Your friend at heelspurs.com : ) Anthony P

PS I will post my update soon

Suzanne D on 8/09/02 at 21:59 (092106)

I've been thinking of you lately, Anthony, and wondering if you have registered for the classes you were thinking of taking this fall. Thanks for your nice message! I appreciate it. You are always such a gentleman.

Hope you're feeling better!

Nancy N on 8/10/02 at 09:12 (092115)

I think I'm around my two-year anniversary--I first posted in a panicked mode after going for my second OrthoWave trial visit. I was in far more pain after the lidocaine wore off than I had been when I walked into the office. It did eventually subside (the theory was that they nicked a nerve when giving me the injection), but I was terrified that I'd been made even worse and would never be able to walk again--I was holding onto walls to get around the house that weekend.

But all has gone well, and I did eventually recover, even though I got the placebo treatment. I still credit this site for my recovery--without it, I would never have known what to try, what to avoid, what to look for in a doctor, etc, and I think that information is critical to success. I might have healed on my own given enough time, but I hate to think how long that might have taken--and how I might feel now if I hadn't healed.

I don't post much anymore (except about cars and road trips lately, apparently!) but I am still reading and still glad to be a part of the community here. :)

Kathy G on 8/10/02 at 10:44 (092122)

Suzanne,

Well, I don't know if 'Happy Anniversary' is appropriate here but you and I started on the boards around the same time, so it's a kind of anniversary for me, too. I was thinking about you just this morning as I have been having back problems which I think are worsened by using the computer so I've been trying to stay away from it. But I had to check up and see how everyone was, and if your foot was any better. Hope it's making some progress.

We apprciate your positive approach to life and enjoy your stories about your children. You're a real asset to these boards. Hope that when your feet recover, you don't stop posting!

Take care.

RACHAEL T. on 8/11/02 at 23:41 (092265)

Happy Foot Anniversary Suzanne! I, too, like you continue to improve. I should be thankful & YES, I am for the healthier foot days that I am having. Somehow, though, I get a bit nervous & scared on those 'reactive, bad' days & yes, they do still happen.....had a few last week. But, for those of you that are going thru this same stage as I am, I have found that the bad days aren't nearly as bad as once upon a time -- nor are they as long lasting! For that, I am thankful. I hope you are having good days, Suzanne & that you continue to improve. For me, it is 16 months of being a heelspurs.com addict - without this site, I am sure I wouldn't have been as strong throughout this PF journey.