Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel spurs below achilles tendon

Posted by adrienne on 8/11/02 at 16:16 (092233)

Has anyone had surgery for removing heel spurs on the back of the heel{not bottom of foot}. It's below the achilles tendon. If so, how was your recovery. I hear that the spurs themselves don't hurt, but mine do, and would like to get rid of them.

Re: heel spurs below achilles tendon

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/11/02 at 17:16 (092241)

The pain is from the torn fibers where the achilles tendon attaches to the back of the heel bone. The boney calicification ( spurs) is from the body trying to healing ( attaches) the torn fibers back to the heel bone.

Yes surgery can be done but so can ESWT. This is the non-invasive shochwave treatment that is used for plantar fascitis. We have done this procedure the past three years with very sucessful relief without the risks of foot surgery

adrienne on 8/11/02 at 21:58 (092258)

Will it make the spurs go away, because it rubs on my shoes,and they dont fit properly now. Can I get this done in California? I live in Ventura california.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/11/02 at 17:16 (092241)

The pain is from the torn fibers where the achilles tendon attaches to the back of the heel bone. The boney calicification ( spurs) is from the body trying to healing ( attaches) the torn fibers back to the heel bone.

Yes surgery can be done but so can ESWT. This is the non-invasive shochwave treatment that is used for plantar fascitis. We have done this procedure the past three years with very sucessful relief without the risks of foot surgery

adrienne on 8/11/02 at 21:58 (092258)

Will it make the spurs go away, because it rubs on my shoes,and they dont fit properly now. Can I get this done in California? I live in Ventura california.