Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

are orthotics waterproof?

Posted by elliott on 8/11/02 at 21:54 (092257)

I went canoeing today for about three hours in a really beautiful reservoir. Given warnings by friends about the possibility of the canoe tipping over and its contents falling in, I didn't wear my (NW Podiatric) orthotics. Now my heel's killing me.

For orthotics with a leather covering (I presume held on by glue), is it true that getting them wet might ruin them (either by affecting the leather or by making the leather unglue from the main piece)? Somewhat less extreme, will going out for a run (not that it will happen again in my lifetime) in the rain risk the orthotics when worn in running shoes? What if you step in a puddle?

--

Re: I don't know about yours..... mine went to sea!

Carole C in NOLA on 8/12/02 at 00:23 (092269)

If yours have a leather covering, I'd assume that the water would make the leather stiff and less comfortable. Think of what happens when your leather shoes get wet. But then, I understand that saddle soap can help that problem in leather shoes. If your orthotics do get ruined, maybe that would be worth a try.

I wore my orthotics constantly when I was at sea for a couple of weeks last spring, and we were in rough seas so they were drenched in salt water most of the time. My orthotics are humungous soft ones that consist of foam pasted on eva (and maybe there's a middle layer too; I haven't dissected them). My orthotics seemed fine after all that water, although my leather SAS Time Out's that they were in got stiff and crinkly, lost their shine, and the salt crusted on the outside made them look like they had dandruff. I got blisters on the insides of my arches, but I don't think that was due to any change in the orthotics. It might have been due to all the extra physical work combined with sliding around in the salt water in my shoes all the time.

Hope this helps. I don't know the effect of constant exposure to water in the long term. Probably if I went to sea all the time, I'd need to get new orthotics every few months.

Carole C

Re: I don't know about yours..... mine went to sea!

Carole C in NOLA on 8/12/02 at 00:23 (092269)

If yours have a leather covering, I'd assume that the water would make the leather stiff and less comfortable. Think of what happens when your leather shoes get wet. But then, I understand that saddle soap can help that problem in leather shoes. If your orthotics do get ruined, maybe that would be worth a try.

I wore my orthotics constantly when I was at sea for a couple of weeks last spring, and we were in rough seas so they were drenched in salt water most of the time. My orthotics are humungous soft ones that consist of foam pasted on eva (and maybe there's a middle layer too; I haven't dissected them). My orthotics seemed fine after all that water, although my leather SAS Time Out's that they were in got stiff and crinkly, lost their shine, and the salt crusted on the outside made them look like they had dandruff. I got blisters on the insides of my arches, but I don't think that was due to any change in the orthotics. It might have been due to all the extra physical work combined with sliding around in the salt water in my shoes all the time.

Hope this helps. I don't know the effect of constant exposure to water in the long term. Probably if I went to sea all the time, I'd need to get new orthotics every few months.

Carole C