Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Elliot

Posted by Pete R on 8/12/02 at 08:44 (092280)

I have started doing the stretch you recommended (i.e kneel down on heels with plantar side of toes facing the floor) How many times do you recommend this is done every day, how may times in one session, and how long should you hold the stretch each time.

I'm doing this with Julie's stretch.

Thanks

Re: Peter

elliott on 8/12/02 at 13:05 (092294)

I don't think there are hard-and-fast rules. Around 3 times a day sounds right to me, with one stretch each of about 30 seconds, but extra time till you actually lower yourself all the way into it. You should have more weight on your big toe, as that is how the plantar fascia gets stretched. In case she stumbled onto the right formula, I emailed the woman I know who used this stretch with success and asked your questions, so I'll pass it on when she responds.

Again, I'm assuming your quads, hams, and calves are reasonably loose, e.g. through stretching, and you are not obese; then this stretch really isn't that dangerous as some here make out.

Yes, you should always do the Julie stretches, every morning before you get out of bed. Nothing worse than raw stretching your plantar fascia.

--

Re: elliott

Pete R on 8/13/02 at 03:27 (092332)

Thanks for the info, let me know what she thinks. I'm pretty flexible and not over weight. I always do Julie's stretches in the morning and during the day

elliott on 8/13/02 at 14:39 (092375)

Below is her email. Good luck!

----

Elliott,
I did the sit upon your feet stretch 2 - 3 times a day. And several times each time for the first couple of weeks. I have now been doing it once a day, with a couple of sessions at that time. It really works.

Hold it as long as you can stand it, which won't be long. At first I could only hold it about 10 seconds (my foot was so tight). Now I can make it about 30 - 40 seconds.

--

Re: Foot trainers

yasmin from london on 8/13/02 at 16:55 (092382)

Hi

Can someone please point me towards the email that talks about how to do the stretches for PF and also the web address for Mike Wilmot, that you mentioned Julie?

Thanks

Yasmin

Julie on 8/14/02 at 06:41 (092419)

Yasmin, the web address you want is http://www.foottrainer.com/

I reposted the yoga foot exercises I've found effective for PF the other day. Use the search facility and type in 'Julie's stretches'.

elliott on 8/12/02 at 13:05 (092294)

I don't think there are hard-and-fast rules. Around 3 times a day sounds right to me, with one stretch each of about 30 seconds, but extra time till you actually lower yourself all the way into it. You should have more weight on your big toe, as that is how the plantar fascia gets stretched. In case she stumbled onto the right formula, I emailed the woman I know who used this stretch with success and asked your questions, so I'll pass it on when she responds.

Again, I'm assuming your quads, hams, and calves are reasonably loose, e.g. through stretching, and you are not obese; then this stretch really isn't that dangerous as some here make out.

Yes, you should always do the Julie stretches, every morning before you get out of bed. Nothing worse than raw stretching your plantar fascia.

--

Re: elliott

Pete R on 8/13/02 at 03:27 (092332)

Thanks for the info, let me know what she thinks. I'm pretty flexible and not over weight. I always do Julie's stretches in the morning and during the day

elliott on 8/13/02 at 14:39 (092375)

Below is her email. Good luck!

----

Elliott,
I did the sit upon your feet stretch 2 - 3 times a day. And several times each time for the first couple of weeks. I have now been doing it once a day, with a couple of sessions at that time. It really works.

Hold it as long as you can stand it, which won't be long. At first I could only hold it about 10 seconds (my foot was so tight). Now I can make it about 30 - 40 seconds.

--

yasmin from london on 8/13/02 at 16:55 (092382)

Hi

Can someone please point me towards the email that talks about how to do the stretches for PF and also the web address for Mike Wilmot, that you mentioned Julie?

Thanks

Yasmin

Julie on 8/14/02 at 06:41 (092419)

Yasmin, the web address you want is http://www.foottrainer.com/

I reposted the yoga foot exercises I've found effective for PF the other day. Use the search facility and type in 'Julie's stretches'.