Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Biofreeze

Posted by Karen G. on 8/13/02 at 10:44 (092355)

I had TTS and PF open surgery on March 4th. Have had pretty intense pain for 5 months. I am aware that it could take up to a year to heal. In the interest of pain management, I have had very painful deep friction massage and also have been using a topical pain reliever called Biofreeze. I now have less pain and I can walk 36 holes a week on the golf course. When I finish playing I put the Biofreeze on both heels. I have noticable pain relief for about 5 hours. I do believe that the combination of the massage and Biofreeze has improved the quality of my life. I had tried just about everything else. I was able to order it over the internet. I post this information hoping that I can help someone else get some relief from the nagging heel pain.

Re: Biofreeze

trish e on 8/13/02 at 11:14 (092356)

thank you for that information i had my surgery on 2/26/02 and having severe heel pain to,so i will try this again thank you and best wishes.

Karen G. on 8/13/02 at 17:17 (092383)

Trish,

Hope you'll be happy with the results. I've used it twice today and feel pretty good....I'm usually in a chair with an ice pack or a night splint by now. Let me know if you have trouble getting it and I'll give you the web site I used. Do a search with Biofreeze and you should come up with a number of options. The deep friction massage has had a huge impact as well.
Good luck and be in touch.

Missy B on 8/13/02 at 21:21 (092402)

Karen,
I had PF/TT surgery last January and when I started physical therapy, my therapists introduced me to BIOFREEZE - like you, I found that it gave me relief and I have been using it almost everyday since then - mostly morning and evening, but sometimes when I get home from work too. I have also used it on other aching muscles, like my lower back - it really helps.
I buy mine from my Pod, and some of our local chiropracters also carry it.
Glad you found it helpful too.
Missy B.

Jean P. on 8/14/02 at 12:08 (092455)

What form of Biofreeze do you use - I see roll on, lotion and ointment? How often a day do you need to apply it? Has anyone had an adverse reaction?

Missy B on 8/14/02 at 15:42 (092485)

Jean,
I use the Biofreeze gel that comes in a 4 oz. tube. I use it 2 or 3 times a day on my foot and ankle and have also used it on my lower back muscles and shoulder when I have discomfort there. I have never had any adverse reaction and I have been using it for several months now.
Missy B.

kay on 8/14/02 at 16:37 (092490)

what is friction massage? who does it? you?

kay

Karen G. on 8/14/02 at 17:00 (092491)

I've used the gel and the roll on. I have used it up to 4 times a day. So far I haven't had any adverse reactions.

Karen G. on 8/14/02 at 17:05 (092492)

Friction massage is a deep and for me painful massage. To me it feels like bubble wrap being ironed out in my foot. The idea is to get rid of the knots in the fascia. It hurts, but it really has helped. I had it done at PT. They showed my husband how to do it now that I'm done with PT. You could do it yourself, but I can't bring myself to make myself miserable!

Tonya on 8/14/02 at 21:37 (092505)

Hi guys/gals. I just ordered some Biofreeze today from Biofreeze Online. They are running a special for a 4 oz. tube + 10 To Go Pacs for $13.99. The shipping is free. Anyone who is interested can call 1-877-661-9231. I've never tried it before, but have read where Missy B. has commented on it several times. Hope it will help with the 'end of day' soreness. Tonya

Dr. Marlene Reid on 8/21/02 at 01:57 (093048)

Scott -

Let me know if you want me to put you in touch with the Biofreeze people.

Scott R on 8/21/02 at 07:02 (093060)

Hi Dr. Reid, i have their info and samples, it's just one of those many things that have been put on the back-burner. But thanks for reminding me beccause the German courts have put a temporary(?) halt to ibuprofen sales and i was thinking of making a page of all creams and all night splints, and all good inserts.

Sharon W on 8/21/02 at 13:09 (093096)

Scott,

That sounds like a WONDERFUL idea!!

Sharon

trish e on 8/13/02 at 11:14 (092356)

thank you for that information i had my surgery on 2/26/02 and having severe heel pain to,so i will try this again thank you and best wishes.

Karen G. on 8/13/02 at 17:17 (092383)

Trish,

Hope you'll be happy with the results. I've used it twice today and feel pretty good....I'm usually in a chair with an ice pack or a night splint by now. Let me know if you have trouble getting it and I'll give you the web site I used. Do a search with Biofreeze and you should come up with a number of options. The deep friction massage has had a huge impact as well.
Good luck and be in touch.

Missy B on 8/13/02 at 21:21 (092402)

Karen,
I had PF/TT surgery last January and when I started physical therapy, my therapists introduced me to BIOFREEZE - like you, I found that it gave me relief and I have been using it almost everyday since then - mostly morning and evening, but sometimes when I get home from work too. I have also used it on other aching muscles, like my lower back - it really helps.
I buy mine from my Pod, and some of our local chiropracters also carry it.
Glad you found it helpful too.
Missy B.

Jean P. on 8/14/02 at 12:08 (092455)

What form of Biofreeze do you use - I see roll on, lotion and ointment? How often a day do you need to apply it? Has anyone had an adverse reaction?

Missy B on 8/14/02 at 15:42 (092485)

Jean,
I use the Biofreeze gel that comes in a 4 oz. tube. I use it 2 or 3 times a day on my foot and ankle and have also used it on my lower back muscles and shoulder when I have discomfort there. I have never had any adverse reaction and I have been using it for several months now.
Missy B.

kay on 8/14/02 at 16:37 (092490)

what is friction massage? who does it? you?

kay

Karen G. on 8/14/02 at 17:00 (092491)

I've used the gel and the roll on. I have used it up to 4 times a day. So far I haven't had any adverse reactions.

Karen G. on 8/14/02 at 17:05 (092492)

Friction massage is a deep and for me painful massage. To me it feels like bubble wrap being ironed out in my foot. The idea is to get rid of the knots in the fascia. It hurts, but it really has helped. I had it done at PT. They showed my husband how to do it now that I'm done with PT. You could do it yourself, but I can't bring myself to make myself miserable!

Tonya on 8/14/02 at 21:37 (092505)

Hi guys/gals. I just ordered some Biofreeze today from Biofreeze Online. They are running a special for a 4 oz. tube + 10 To Go Pacs for $13.99. The shipping is free. Anyone who is interested can call 1-877-661-9231. I've never tried it before, but have read where Missy B. has commented on it several times. Hope it will help with the 'end of day' soreness. Tonya

Dr. Marlene Reid on 8/21/02 at 01:57 (093048)

Scott -

Let me know if you want me to put you in touch with the Biofreeze people.

Scott R on 8/21/02 at 07:02 (093060)

Hi Dr. Reid, i have their info and samples, it's just one of those many things that have been put on the back-burner. But thanks for reminding me beccause the German courts have put a temporary(?) halt to ibuprofen sales and i was thinking of making a page of all creams and all night splints, and all good inserts.

Sharon W on 8/21/02 at 13:09 (093096)

Scott,

That sounds like a WONDERFUL idea!!

Sharon