Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Newly Diagnosed with PF

Posted by Kris P on 8/13/02 at 12:21 (092367)

I was diagnosed yesterday by a podiatrist with plantar fasciitis in my left foot. She suggested orthotics and 3 weeks of high dose motrin as well as ice. This is very painful and it seems from reading the messages here it is chronic. Does anyone work at a job that requires you to be on your feet all day? How has this diagnosis impacted your job and daily activities? I am a nurse and afraid this is going to make working very difficult for me. I am looking for all the info and help i can get. Thanks!!

Re: Newly Diagnosed with PF

teresa g. on 8/13/02 at 19:14 (092389)

I was diagnosed with bilateral plantar fas. appx. 2 years ago; at appx. that span of time I started a new job... 12 hour shifts ( I'm a nurse too) and also started working out on an elliptical. I did lose the undesired weight 20 lbs but NOW I've gained 22 lbs having had surgery (bilateral release) on june 25th 2002! I dont regret having the surgery, (its only been about 7 weeks post-op) but I didn't think there would be this much pain. I guess I have to be more patient. If I could turn back the hands of time I would treat my feet with respect...... I would have never gone barefoot, bought better brands of shoes;,albeit more costly, Tie my shoes correctly instead of letting my heels flop up and down, lost weight sooner. I really miss work (never thought I'd say that!) wish me luck and good luck to you.

Kris P on 8/14/02 at 06:58 (092421)

Thanks for writing back. i think i am going to try more conservative methods first before surgery(orthotics etc) I only hope it works. I am now trying to lose weight and will buy better shoes. I agree, I should have had more respect for my feet in the early years of my career, but back then it never occurred to me i could end up with this! Good luck to you and keep in touch!

teresa g. on 8/13/02 at 19:14 (092389)

I was diagnosed with bilateral plantar fas. appx. 2 years ago; at appx. that span of time I started a new job... 12 hour shifts ( I'm a nurse too) and also started working out on an elliptical. I did lose the undesired weight 20 lbs but NOW I've gained 22 lbs having had surgery (bilateral release) on june 25th 2002! I dont regret having the surgery, (its only been about 7 weeks post-op) but I didn't think there would be this much pain. I guess I have to be more patient. If I could turn back the hands of time I would treat my feet with respect...... I would have never gone barefoot, bought better brands of shoes;,albeit more costly, Tie my shoes correctly instead of letting my heels flop up and down, lost weight sooner. I really miss work (never thought I'd say that!) wish me luck and good luck to you.

Kris P on 8/14/02 at 06:58 (092421)

Thanks for writing back. i think i am going to try more conservative methods first before surgery(orthotics etc) I only hope it works. I am now trying to lose weight and will buy better shoes. I agree, I should have had more respect for my feet in the early years of my career, but back then it never occurred to me i could end up with this! Good luck to you and keep in touch!