Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Please remember...

Posted by Suzanne D on 8/13/02 at 15:26 (092377)

...a little girl in my class who is very ill. Marina was in my class last year as well. I first knew about her when I had her older brother in first grade. She was two then and in the hospital. Between my lack of medical knowledge and her parents being from Laos and having English as their second language, I sometimes didn't get a full picture of her situation, but her father spoke of the baby and her 'bad, bad blood sickness'. I understand that she has a 'leukemia-like' condition.

Marina has been in and out of the hospital many times in her young life and yet has enough spunk for two little girls. Healthwise, she did pretty well last year although I couldn't shake the feeling that as the year went on, she seemed weaker and less active. She was naturally behind in some academic areas and received all the special help I could round up for her. I promised her father that on the first week of school last year when he said, 'Please, help her all you can. She needs lots of help.' She attended class in the morning with the kindergarten and came to me before lunch. The ESL teacher worked with her and anyone else I could find available. We were proud of her accomplishments. This year she is with me all the time.

But right now she is in a children's hospital about an hour away from here and has had several tests yesterday and today. Her father told me this afternoon that they think she may have had a small stroke. Her blood was very low, and she has received 3 units since she has been there.

My children made cards for her this afternoon and sent them by her brother. They were full of hearts and rainbows and hope.

I appreciate any of you who will remember her in your prayers. If you have seen my picture on the board here, she is the tiny child in pink in front of me. (Of course I would never have posted any children's pictures with me had their faces not been covered with the masks they made.)

Thank you for letting me share this with you. I have a heavy heart as I think about her just now. But I will still put a smile by my name as I remember her brave smile.

Suzanne :-)

Re: Please remember...

Necee on 8/13/02 at 19:16 (092390)

Thank you for sharing this with us Suzanne, I will remember her in my prayers. And we think we have it rough......God bless this little child and her family.

Necee

RACHAEL T. on 8/13/02 at 22:12 (092411)

I will remember!!
I will keep this youngster in my thoughts, prayers, & heart!

john h on 8/14/02 at 10:34 (092438)

Suzzanne: Ask the parents where in Laos they are from? I have spent a lot of time there and have many pictures from Laos. One of the most rugged countries in the world. Tripple canopy jungles, jagged mountains 'karst', Plane of Jars, low land rice fields. I wonder if the family might be Montanyards. Many of them migrated to the U.S. They fought the North Vietnam soldiers on our side guided by the CIA all through the war. I flew a lot of them on covert missions and they were fearless and have my complete and total respect. I shall email you a few pictures.

Necee on 8/13/02 at 19:16 (092390)

Thank you for sharing this with us Suzanne, I will remember her in my prayers. And we think we have it rough......God bless this little child and her family.

Necee

RACHAEL T. on 8/13/02 at 22:12 (092411)

I will remember!!
I will keep this youngster in my thoughts, prayers, & heart!

john h on 8/14/02 at 10:34 (092438)

Suzzanne: Ask the parents where in Laos they are from? I have spent a lot of time there and have many pictures from Laos. One of the most rugged countries in the world. Tripple canopy jungles, jagged mountains 'karst', Plane of Jars, low land rice fields. I wonder if the family might be Montanyards. Many of them migrated to the U.S. They fought the North Vietnam soldiers on our side guided by the CIA all through the war. I flew a lot of them on covert missions and they were fearless and have my complete and total respect. I shall email you a few pictures.