Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

it's been a while

Posted by michael b on 8/14/02 at 10:15 (092432)

i posted on this site 9+ mos ago, had been suffering from pf in the left foot for 1 1/2 + years. have wonderful news ---- after over a year of ossatron, heel pads, nite splints, stretching, NO RUNNING (that one about did me in), prayer, incantations, etc. i am happy to report that the foot is good to go, and i have been running a moderate amount w/ little or no pain . . . . . for all intents and pruposes, this thing is healed up. i wanted to post because a)sometimes it's nice to hear the sucess stories, and b) some of your comments were extremely helpful in helping me understand what i was dealing with, and i felt like the advice given was excellent and on target. truthfully, the insights i gleaned from some of you were more helpful than what i got from the pods i had worked with -- you just seemed to have more depth of understanding, and although i didn't like what i heard sometimes (like, for instance, some of you telling me to quit running, this could take a lot longer than i thought to heal, etc.), it was the right advice to give. certainly hope you all are seeing some signs of progress in your own pilgramage w/ this stuff, and if i can be of assistance to any of you, plz feel free to post/email me and i will do what i can. . . . . . . p.s. now that i'm pain free and ready to go, i'm thinking of training for one of those mini- triathlons (those are ideal for the over 40 crowd who still think they can compete in something . . .). anyhow, the wife says, not so fast big boy ---- you're gonna be a dad again (this will be #4 . . . . ) so much for the athletic career in mini- triathlons ----- but at least when i'm up to get a bottle for the little one at 3:00 a.m. (yes, real men DO get up at nite w/ the newborns--) my foot won't hurt when i go the nursery. take care, and God Bless. michael b. in houston.

Re: it's been a while

Carole C in NOLA on 8/14/02 at 10:20 (092433)

What an encouraging outcome for your PF, Michael! And also, congratulations on #4.

With four kids you will need to be able to do things and be active, and it will be wonderful to have little to no foot pain. :)

Carole C

dave r on 8/14/02 at 10:37 (092441)

What do you believe was the biggest contribuuting factor in your healing?
Was it eswt,rest,ice, tape?

Necee on 8/14/02 at 11:55 (092454)

Michael thats wonderful news! We love to hear when our friends are recovering and doing better.

Congratulations on the birth of your little one! I'm sure your gonna stay busy for quite some time helping with those 3am feedings!

After a year and a half with PF myself, I'm also doing better, but.....I'm not completely healed like you are, theres no way I could run a race! I can manage to make it through the day, but I still have some bouts with pain, especially if I've overdone it.

Where did you take your ESWT treatment? I'm in Texas also, and have considered it, but its just too expensive.

Even though your better you still should be very careful with your feet. I've read posts where people thought they were healed, they started doing the things that they had to put on hold only to find out that PF returned with a vengance. So just be very careful.

Take care and keep us posted.

Happy trails to you.....

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 8/14/02 at 12:56 (092466)

Necee, if you have tried everything and nothing has worked, I think maybe you should reconsider ESWT even though it's expensive. After all, it's your only feet, and maybe you can get a payment plan or maybe the price has gone down.

As for me, I haven't had ESWT but I decided I don't need it. I was figuring that I'd give it a year, and if nothing worked then I'd go for ESWT. But in my case, at this point I really only hurt when I've overdone it (and the effects of that go away completely in a day or two). A lot of times I can overdo and get away scot free, and I'm still improving, so I'm not going to get ESWT on September 22nd (my one year PF anniversary).

I can't run a race, but then I couldn't run a race before PF either. (grin)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 8/17/02 at 22:01 (092786)

So good to hear your success story, Michael! I have thought of you and wondered if you had made progress. Thanks for letting us know, and congratulations on the upcoming arrival in your home!

Best wishes,
Suzanne :-)

michael b on 8/19/02 at 10:33 (092894)

if i had to do it over again, it would be the following: 1)DON'T RUN -- AT ALL!!!! I kept trying to sneak back out there now and again, and that did absolutely no good. the only activity i would recommend is light cycling, swimming (VERY good), and walking in very comfortable shoes. 2) SLEEP IN A NITE SPLINT. ---- this gives you a multi hour stretch while you're sleeping, and i wish i had started that right away instead of several months into it. 3) STRETCHING --- if possible, stretch the feet a few times during the day, that seemed to help. i am assuming that you are only wearing very comfortable shoes, that is a must. get heel pads, or inserts if they help, but good, comfortable shoes should do the trick. as for the ossatron, i'm not sure what i think. the pod i was seeing recommended that BEFORE the nite splint, and i'm wondering if i would have needed it at all had i followed what i've just told you. my experience said that the nite splint made the most impact, now whether having the ossatron done a couple months before was a part of that impact, i can't say. i would just concentrate on the 1st 3 first (and for a #4, having some ice at the end of the day can help) and see what happens. give that 60 - 90 days. if nothing, maybe you then explore the ossatron.

Carole C in NOLA on 8/14/02 at 10:20 (092433)

What an encouraging outcome for your PF, Michael! And also, congratulations on #4.

With four kids you will need to be able to do things and be active, and it will be wonderful to have little to no foot pain. :)

Carole C

dave r on 8/14/02 at 10:37 (092441)

What do you believe was the biggest contribuuting factor in your healing?
Was it eswt,rest,ice, tape?

Necee on 8/14/02 at 11:55 (092454)

Michael thats wonderful news! We love to hear when our friends are recovering and doing better.

Congratulations on the birth of your little one! I'm sure your gonna stay busy for quite some time helping with those 3am feedings!

After a year and a half with PF myself, I'm also doing better, but.....I'm not completely healed like you are, theres no way I could run a race! I can manage to make it through the day, but I still have some bouts with pain, especially if I've overdone it.

Where did you take your ESWT treatment? I'm in Texas also, and have considered it, but its just too expensive.

Even though your better you still should be very careful with your feet. I've read posts where people thought they were healed, they started doing the things that they had to put on hold only to find out that PF returned with a vengance. So just be very careful.

Take care and keep us posted.

Happy trails to you.....

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 8/14/02 at 12:56 (092466)

Necee, if you have tried everything and nothing has worked, I think maybe you should reconsider ESWT even though it's expensive. After all, it's your only feet, and maybe you can get a payment plan or maybe the price has gone down.

As for me, I haven't had ESWT but I decided I don't need it. I was figuring that I'd give it a year, and if nothing worked then I'd go for ESWT. But in my case, at this point I really only hurt when I've overdone it (and the effects of that go away completely in a day or two). A lot of times I can overdo and get away scot free, and I'm still improving, so I'm not going to get ESWT on September 22nd (my one year PF anniversary).

I can't run a race, but then I couldn't run a race before PF either. (grin)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 8/17/02 at 22:01 (092786)

So good to hear your success story, Michael! I have thought of you and wondered if you had made progress. Thanks for letting us know, and congratulations on the upcoming arrival in your home!

Best wishes,
Suzanne :-)

michael b on 8/19/02 at 10:33 (092894)

if i had to do it over again, it would be the following: 1)DON'T RUN -- AT ALL!!!! I kept trying to sneak back out there now and again, and that did absolutely no good. the only activity i would recommend is light cycling, swimming (VERY good), and walking in very comfortable shoes. 2) SLEEP IN A NITE SPLINT. ---- this gives you a multi hour stretch while you're sleeping, and i wish i had started that right away instead of several months into it. 3) STRETCHING --- if possible, stretch the feet a few times during the day, that seemed to help. i am assuming that you are only wearing very comfortable shoes, that is a must. get heel pads, or inserts if they help, but good, comfortable shoes should do the trick. as for the ossatron, i'm not sure what i think. the pod i was seeing recommended that BEFORE the nite splint, and i'm wondering if i would have needed it at all had i followed what i've just told you. my experience said that the nite splint made the most impact, now whether having the ossatron done a couple months before was a part of that impact, i can't say. i would just concentrate on the 1st 3 first (and for a #4, having some ice at the end of the day can help) and see what happens. give that 60 - 90 days. if nothing, maybe you then explore the ossatron.