Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

DMSO, Cortisone, celebrex

Posted by Jay in Atlanta on 8/14/02 at 19:45 (092498)

I have plantar fascitis. Prior to a trip to the podiatrist I was using DMSO. I use heat rub prior to playing soccer. The podiatrist has given me 3 injections of cortisone and prescribed Celebrex. Has anyone used DMSO with any positive results? My wife is doing accupunture and accupressure. So, I'm trying it all. Any additional tips?
Thanks

Re: DMSO, Cortisone, celebrex

Kim R. on 8/21/02 at 09:28 (093075)

I have used DMSO and a mixture of dexamethasone about 4 times so far pf. I am currently going through some physical therapy as well - they are also using the dexamethasone but not DMSO (another method to transfer the medication - ionic something or other where they place 2 patches - one medicated on the heel and the other for grounding purposes I suppose, on my ankle.) Last Friday, after the 3rd self-treatment session with my home version of the DMSO/dexamethasone, I could actually walk without limping for the 1st time in 6 weeks. The only reason I stopped doing it was because the skin on the bottom of my foot had begun to peel and blister. This subsided quickly. Once my pt sessions are over at the end of this week, I plan to start my little DMSO/dex. routine again. I really think it did alleviate some of my pain. I have not used the DMSO since last Friday. On Sunday, I woke up and could barely walk, but I had also overdone some exercise, so who knows what caused the soreness, the lack of DMSO or the strain from exercise. You may feel free to e-mail me directly if you want more info. on this - I am no expert, just a desperate runner trying to get over a difficult case of pf, but will give you more details if you would like. I have not used cortisone injections nor do I want to and I am taking Vioxx, not Celebrex. Good luck.

Jay on 8/28/02 at 09:05 (093796)

Thanks. I'm a soccer player trying to get back. I played last Thurs 8-22 without a lot of pain. Went home iced it and did DMSO. Fri am- extreme pain. I've decided to stay off till I can get this thing healed. I have found stretching the foot up to the hamstrings and hip flexors has really helped. My $%^&*( insurance company denied to pay a co pay on Celebrex so I'm using samples. I'm trying to use DMSO sparingly. My wife has done some accupuncture and it has helped a bit too.
Good luck.
Jay

Kim R. on 8/28/02 at 09:33 (093799)

Jay, I can relate to this. If I exercise and don't hurt until the next day, I know that exercise caused the pain. I have had to give up all weight-bearing exercise completely. I am a runner and getting grouchier by the day. If you are looking for a good stretch, order the pro-stretch device from Roadrunner catalog. It costs about $24. I had used it in physical therapy and it helped so much I just ordered one for home use. It puts you at the proper angle to stretch everything from your achilles to your hamstring. Give it a try. Also, I have seen DMSO sold over the internet and it's not all that expensive. Good luck and stay away from soccer for awhile until you have a chance to heal.

Kim R. on 8/21/02 at 09:28 (093075)

I have used DMSO and a mixture of dexamethasone about 4 times so far pf. I am currently going through some physical therapy as well - they are also using the dexamethasone but not DMSO (another method to transfer the medication - ionic something or other where they place 2 patches - one medicated on the heel and the other for grounding purposes I suppose, on my ankle.) Last Friday, after the 3rd self-treatment session with my home version of the DMSO/dexamethasone, I could actually walk without limping for the 1st time in 6 weeks. The only reason I stopped doing it was because the skin on the bottom of my foot had begun to peel and blister. This subsided quickly. Once my pt sessions are over at the end of this week, I plan to start my little DMSO/dex. routine again. I really think it did alleviate some of my pain. I have not used the DMSO since last Friday. On Sunday, I woke up and could barely walk, but I had also overdone some exercise, so who knows what caused the soreness, the lack of DMSO or the strain from exercise. You may feel free to e-mail me directly if you want more info. on this - I am no expert, just a desperate runner trying to get over a difficult case of pf, but will give you more details if you would like. I have not used cortisone injections nor do I want to and I am taking Vioxx, not Celebrex. Good luck.

Jay on 8/28/02 at 09:05 (093796)

Thanks. I'm a soccer player trying to get back. I played last Thurs 8-22 without a lot of pain. Went home iced it and did DMSO. Fri am- extreme pain. I've decided to stay off till I can get this thing healed. I have found stretching the foot up to the hamstrings and hip flexors has really helped. My $%^&*( insurance company denied to pay a co pay on Celebrex so I'm using samples. I'm trying to use DMSO sparingly. My wife has done some accupuncture and it has helped a bit too.
Good luck.
Jay

Kim R. on 8/28/02 at 09:33 (093799)

Jay, I can relate to this. If I exercise and don't hurt until the next day, I know that exercise caused the pain. I have had to give up all weight-bearing exercise completely. I am a runner and getting grouchier by the day. If you are looking for a good stretch, order the pro-stretch device from Roadrunner catalog. It costs about $24. I had used it in physical therapy and it helped so much I just ordered one for home use. It puts you at the proper angle to stretch everything from your achilles to your hamstring. Give it a try. Also, I have seen DMSO sold over the internet and it's not all that expensive. Good luck and stay away from soccer for awhile until you have a chance to heal.