Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

foot problem keeping me from my dream. help?

Posted by Cameron E. on 8/14/02 at 20:06 (092499)

hi. well here it is. ive wanted to b a soldier since i can remember. i didnt make it into a service academy so i went to college on my own. while in college i found the wonderfull world of sport bikes & motorcycle racing. yup. i crashed. bad. i broke my right femur. broke 4 toes on my left foot crushing the big toe (the toe nail still hasnt grown back in right). & damaging 80%+ of the soft tissue in that foot. this happened in 1996. my leg is 100% better & i can get a medical waiver for that. however my foot is a different story. its been a while since i saw it but an x-ray of the foot shows a small spur on either the talus where it meets the navicular or on the navicular where it meets the medial cuneiform.. im about 95% sure its on the talus though.

i have decreased range of motion, decreased strength, 'pops & cracks', & pain after excersise. it used to be a lot worse.. i would walk & collapse, have chronic pain, & even less ROM. ive been told i have tendonitis, bursitis, & plasiar facitis. ive tried cortizone, physical therapy, ultrasound, 'good feet' insoles, ART (by dr. leighe[sp?] in colorado springs), & seen a chiropractor who said the tibia & fibula were too close together & 'adjusted it' (which felt really good, relieved a lot of pressure in my foot), he also used an interferintial machine, & a microlight 830 laser. i saw the most permanent & greatest results at the chiropracter. & the insoles seem to help a lot too. however when i run a mile or more i get pain.. rarely during the run but after & especially the following day. its usually a dull pain... every now & then i get a sharp stabing pain.. but very rare. as u probably know the military loves running. i was told about the ossotron by ken kinakin of SWISS, a canadian organization.

also, i have rotator cuff problems from lots of contact sports & kick boxing. could eswt help here?

Thank you for your time.
Cameron.

Re: more...

Cameron E. on 8/14/02 at 20:10 (092500)

the pain i get when i get it is right on top of the foot, to the outside of center, right about where the talus is.

Re: foot problem keeping me from my dream. help?

J. King on 8/15/02 at 08:21 (092539)

If you are accepted into one of the branches of military they will have no mercy on you in basic or boot camp. If you think your foot hurts now see how it feels when you are on your feet all day, every day and carrying a rifle and pack. You will have no recovery time. Some of the other veterans on this list can tell you what you are facing. You sound like a tough cookie, but the military will be torture for you. You will probably screw up your rotor cuff injury as well. You don't want to be a cripple at the age of 25 or 30. As a disabled veteran I am telling you this. Other vets may see it different. What if you do get in and you are in combat situation and your foot or leg gives out. No one will have pity on you. They will be too busy trying to save themselves.

Cameron E. on 8/15/02 at 15:02 (092582)

thanx for the advice, however i already understand this. which is why i havent joined yet. instead ive been looking at the PD, but if there is a way then i want in the army. i wouldnt want to jeapordize my self or team (i want to be SF, 18c). i live in colorado springs, home of the 10th special forces & i have had a couple friends that are either active or former sf.

anyway.

the original ? still needs answered. could ESWT help me become 100%?

Re: more...

Cameron E. on 8/14/02 at 20:10 (092500)

the pain i get when i get it is right on top of the foot, to the outside of center, right about where the talus is.

J. King on 8/15/02 at 08:21 (092539)

If you are accepted into one of the branches of military they will have no mercy on you in basic or boot camp. If you think your foot hurts now see how it feels when you are on your feet all day, every day and carrying a rifle and pack. You will have no recovery time. Some of the other veterans on this list can tell you what you are facing. You sound like a tough cookie, but the military will be torture for you. You will probably screw up your rotor cuff injury as well. You don't want to be a cripple at the age of 25 or 30. As a disabled veteran I am telling you this. Other vets may see it different. What if you do get in and you are in combat situation and your foot or leg gives out. No one will have pity on you. They will be too busy trying to save themselves.

Cameron E. on 8/15/02 at 15:02 (092582)

thanx for the advice, however i already understand this. which is why i havent joined yet. instead ive been looking at the PD, but if there is a way then i want in the army. i wouldnt want to jeapordize my self or team (i want to be SF, 18c). i live in colorado springs, home of the 10th special forces & i have had a couple friends that are either active or former sf.

anyway.

the original ? still needs answered. could ESWT help me become 100%?