Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Stretching

Posted by Jim C on 8/14/02 at 20:16 (092501)

I posted a message in the aske the doctor section on th 12th titled PF getting worse. My PF was getting much worse in the past weeks even after much treatment icing, new shoes, inserts, nsaids, no exercise(running)as much rest/elevation as possible and stretching. That night searching many sights concerning PF I came to this conclusion. If PF is caused by the over stretching of the plantar fascia resulting in micro tears that cause the inflamation/pain, then how can stretching of the plantar be apart of the cure? So that night I swore off my stretching routine with the excepton of first thing in the morning (the only time stretching the plantar felt good). In just two days I have had a major turn around, my right foot is virtuly pain free which in the past weeks had gotten worse than my so called bad foot. Now, I'll be the first to admit that I tend to over do things like when I first started to ice my heels, after the skin started to peel off my ankles I said to myself 'Jim' you are problaly over doing it! Over doing it is how I came about this condition! It would be my humble opinion based on very limited knowledge that direct stretching of the plantar fascia should be avoided while it is inflamed or you risk injuring it further as I problaly did. I hope this helps some of you overdoers such as me.

Jim,

Re: Stretching

Julie on 8/15/02 at 01:39 (092523)

Jim, I've just posted a response to your message on the other thread. Over-doing is very common: we all think the more we stretch, the better. But with weight-bearing stretching for PF, that's a dangerous game, for the reason you give. Don't toss all stretching into the rubbish, though. See my other post.

Ed S on 8/24/02 at 07:53 (093396)

Julie: I am new to this, am 62 years old and in kinda good shape . . .are there exercises you would recommend for my plantar fasciitis . . . .or a source for exercises . . .thanks

Julie on 8/24/02 at 15:03 (093423)

Hi Ed

A few weeks ago, I re-posted a sequence of simple non-weightbearing yoga exercises for the feet under the heading 'Julie's Stretches', which was what people who were recommending them told others to search on. I thought that would work, but I've just done a search, and the post doesn't come up.

If anyone can point Ed to the thread, I'd be grateful. I really haven't time to write them out all over again.

Thanks.

Julie on 8/15/02 at 01:39 (092523)

Jim, I've just posted a response to your message on the other thread. Over-doing is very common: we all think the more we stretch, the better. But with weight-bearing stretching for PF, that's a dangerous game, for the reason you give. Don't toss all stretching into the rubbish, though. See my other post.

Ed S on 8/24/02 at 07:53 (093396)

Julie: I am new to this, am 62 years old and in kinda good shape . . .are there exercises you would recommend for my plantar fasciitis . . . .or a source for exercises . . .thanks

Julie on 8/24/02 at 15:03 (093423)

Hi Ed

A few weeks ago, I re-posted a sequence of simple non-weightbearing yoga exercises for the feet under the heading 'Julie's Stretches', which was what people who were recommending them told others to search on. I thought that would work, but I've just done a search, and the post doesn't come up.

If anyone can point Ed to the thread, I'd be grateful. I really haven't time to write them out all over again.

Thanks.