Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Has anyone tried Bextra?

Posted by Paula G. on 8/15/02 at 12:37 (092563)

I haven't posted in awhile but wanted to add something I have not seen on this board. I had the surgery a year ago next month and am doing pretty well. Aleve was working for me but I was having to take too much of it and the doctor wanted to try me on Bextra. It is fairly new and doesn't have generic yet. You take 1 10 mg. pill a day. It has really helped me with PF pain. I am able to walk again. I believe it works like an anti-inflammatory. But I had tried celebrex, Vioxx, just about every known drug with no success.

Re: Has anyone tried Bextra?

Sharon W on 8/15/02 at 17:52 (092603)

Paula,

Congratulations, I'm glad it worked for you. It didn't work for me at all, and I gladly went back to my Vioxx.

Just goes to show, once again, that things which work really well for some people, don't seem to help others at all.

Sharon

Paula G. on 8/16/02 at 08:15 (092656)

You are right about that Sharon. If there were one great wonderful miracle treatment for this problem, none of us would need to be here would we? Strange how others just cannot grasp the enormity of the pain that surrounds this problem. Our feet are pretty darned important.

Sharon W on 8/16/02 at 13:46 (092670)

Paula,

Sometimes I get angry when I come across people (especially if they're doctors) who make it blatantly obvious that they have contempt for foot problems and would never even CONSIDER taking them seriously... but then again, while I don't think I was ever quite like THAT, I certainly never used to even THINK about my feet, until they began to really hurt. NOW I realize that feet are the foundation of the body, and that when something goes seriously wrong with them, living a 'normal' life becomes pretty much impossible.

Feet are also fascinatingly intricate, anatomically. To understand and treat them, it is necessary to have a very thorough understanding of the lower half of the body: its anatomy, biomechanics, blood circulation, the workings of all the muscles and bones, and of how the legs. ankles, and feet are ennervated. I can see why some podiatrists say feet are the most fascinating part of the body.

I have learned to deeply respect those who have dedicated themselves to healing feet and to improving the way that they function.

Sharon

Re: Feet

Julie on 8/16/02 at 14:32 (092676)

What a good post, Sharon. We take our feet for granted, don't we - until they start protesting and insist that we listen to them. They ARE fascinating: intricate, interesting, challenging, meekly accepting of all the abuse to which we subject them.

Our foundation.

I sometimes think the crucial question for a sufferer from foot pain to ask a podiatrist is - 'have you suffered yourself?'

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/16/02 at 21:49 (092707)

Bextra is part of the new class of anti-inflammatories known as COX-2 inhibitors. COX-2 inhibitors deal with inflammation while avoiding the deleterious effect on the gastrointestinal system that a lot of classic anti-inflammatory drugs have. It also, unlike other anti-inflammatories, has little effect on bleeding and clotting.
Ed

Edna I on 8/17/02 at 13:19 (092743)

I started taking Bextra 20 mg about 2 weeks ago and I am doing a lot better. In the past I have tried Celebrex (2 a day for a week and then just l a day), Vioxx, Naporsyn, even just aspirin therapy. Nothing helped until the Bextra...20mg..not the 10mg...it didn't do much for me. Whether I would have improved on the others anyway...I don't know. I stopped doing weight bearing exercise (except an occasional wall stretch when I am out shopping and start hurting...and I try not to put all my weight on it). I quit icing it...I don't think that does any good unless you do it after a tennis match, jogging, basketball, etc. I have also started wearing a night splint for the past week. I have also found changing shoes frequently help a lot. I wear tennis shoes and birkenstock sandels. In the tennis shoes I have the birkenstock 'air cushioned full length' replacement insole. It is the only one I found that helps me. I tried the 'Birkobalance' arch support, and it had too much of an arch for me. I have ordered the 'Birkosport' arch support, but it has not come in yet. I am hoping when I get back to playing tennis this will help. (It is a 2 piece system with the cork and a foam innersole for shock absorbtion) I will let you know if it works when I receive it...it has been on back order... hopefully it won't be much longer. Good luck to you....I have had PF since May....It is hard not to get discouraged....

Re: Is Bextra OTC? Or prescription only?

Shaira on 8/18/02 at 09:16 (092827)

If it's prescription only do you think it will be OTC eventually? I hate taking prescription things.

Re: Rx. only

Paula G. on 8/18/02 at 11:20 (092833)

The medication is prescription only. Thing with OTC medications, is they lower the dosages somewhat to make them OTC. I am with you. I don't like taking any medications. No matter what it is, I feel I am hooked on it because I have to take it. Especially, pain medication.
Someone mentioned taking 20mg a day. I have been taking 10 and wondered if 20mg a day is prescription? I will see about uping the dose.
Also, taking too much OTC is not always good either. My doctor told me I was taking way too much Aleve even though I had to to minimize the pain.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/18/02 at 15:03 (092845)

It will take a long time to go OTC as it is a new drug.
Ed

Sharon W on 8/15/02 at 17:52 (092603)

Paula,

Congratulations, I'm glad it worked for you. It didn't work for me at all, and I gladly went back to my Vioxx.

Just goes to show, once again, that things which work really well for some people, don't seem to help others at all.

Sharon

Paula G. on 8/16/02 at 08:15 (092656)

You are right about that Sharon. If there were one great wonderful miracle treatment for this problem, none of us would need to be here would we? Strange how others just cannot grasp the enormity of the pain that surrounds this problem. Our feet are pretty darned important.

Sharon W on 8/16/02 at 13:46 (092670)

Paula,

Sometimes I get angry when I come across people (especially if they're doctors) who make it blatantly obvious that they have contempt for foot problems and would never even CONSIDER taking them seriously... but then again, while I don't think I was ever quite like THAT, I certainly never used to even THINK about my feet, until they began to really hurt. NOW I realize that feet are the foundation of the body, and that when something goes seriously wrong with them, living a 'normal' life becomes pretty much impossible.

Feet are also fascinatingly intricate, anatomically. To understand and treat them, it is necessary to have a very thorough understanding of the lower half of the body: its anatomy, biomechanics, blood circulation, the workings of all the muscles and bones, and of how the legs. ankles, and feet are ennervated. I can see why some podiatrists say feet are the most fascinating part of the body.

I have learned to deeply respect those who have dedicated themselves to healing feet and to improving the way that they function.

Sharon

Re: Feet

Julie on 8/16/02 at 14:32 (092676)

What a good post, Sharon. We take our feet for granted, don't we - until they start protesting and insist that we listen to them. They ARE fascinating: intricate, interesting, challenging, meekly accepting of all the abuse to which we subject them.

Our foundation.

I sometimes think the crucial question for a sufferer from foot pain to ask a podiatrist is - 'have you suffered yourself?'

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/16/02 at 21:49 (092707)

Bextra is part of the new class of anti-inflammatories known as COX-2 inhibitors. COX-2 inhibitors deal with inflammation while avoiding the deleterious effect on the gastrointestinal system that a lot of classic anti-inflammatory drugs have. It also, unlike other anti-inflammatories, has little effect on bleeding and clotting.
Ed

Edna I on 8/17/02 at 13:19 (092743)

I started taking Bextra 20 mg about 2 weeks ago and I am doing a lot better. In the past I have tried Celebrex (2 a day for a week and then just l a day), Vioxx, Naporsyn, even just aspirin therapy. Nothing helped until the Bextra...20mg..not the 10mg...it didn't do much for me. Whether I would have improved on the others anyway...I don't know. I stopped doing weight bearing exercise (except an occasional wall stretch when I am out shopping and start hurting...and I try not to put all my weight on it). I quit icing it...I don't think that does any good unless you do it after a tennis match, jogging, basketball, etc. I have also started wearing a night splint for the past week. I have also found changing shoes frequently help a lot. I wear tennis shoes and birkenstock sandels. In the tennis shoes I have the birkenstock 'air cushioned full length' replacement insole. It is the only one I found that helps me. I tried the 'Birkobalance' arch support, and it had too much of an arch for me. I have ordered the 'Birkosport' arch support, but it has not come in yet. I am hoping when I get back to playing tennis this will help. (It is a 2 piece system with the cork and a foam innersole for shock absorbtion) I will let you know if it works when I receive it...it has been on back order... hopefully it won't be much longer. Good luck to you....I have had PF since May....It is hard not to get discouraged....

Shaira on 8/18/02 at 09:16 (092827)

If it's prescription only do you think it will be OTC eventually? I hate taking prescription things.

Re: Rx. only

Paula G. on 8/18/02 at 11:20 (092833)

The medication is prescription only. Thing with OTC medications, is they lower the dosages somewhat to make them OTC. I am with you. I don't like taking any medications. No matter what it is, I feel I am hooked on it because I have to take it. Especially, pain medication.
Someone mentioned taking 20mg a day. I have been taking 10 and wondered if 20mg a day is prescription? I will see about uping the dose.
Also, taking too much OTC is not always good either. My doctor told me I was taking way too much Aleve even though I had to to minimize the pain.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/18/02 at 15:03 (092845)

It will take a long time to go OTC as it is a new drug.
Ed