Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel spur back again

Posted by sheri m on 8/15/02 at 13:18 (092568)

I had heel spur surgery 15 months ago, and through out this time I have had more pain then before the surgery, the surgeon said that this is due to my foot being flat from the surgery. I have had 2 xrays in the last 2 weeks done on the same foot for a sprained ankle, and it is showing that I have a large spur. My family doctor said that I could not have had heel spur surgery as that a spur would not come back so large in that amount of time. Do they grow back, or what? My family doctor looked in the hospital records and said that my surgeon removed a small part of a spur, shouldn't he have removed the whole spur? I am so frustrated!! All this time my Surgeon has made me feel like I was out of my mind, and should not be in any pain at all. Because of me and other patients my family doctor no longer refers his patients to this surgeon. Any advice? Thank you

Re: heel spur back again

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/16/02 at 16:36 (092688)

Hi

Sorry that you are in so much pain. You can have the bone spur grow back. It is not necessary to remove all of the bone spur. The bone spur is a calificaton that your body places at the area where the plantar fascia has torn away from the heel bone. The purpose of the heelspur surgery was to
remove some of the damaged fascia and bone spur to stimulate the body to heal the area. I have seen many heel spur grow back and have no pain due to the bone spur being completely hard and not soft as is usually the case before surgery. It this doesn't make sense let men know and I will try to answer again

Sharon H. on 10/01/02 at 17:32 (096637)

Here is an excellent article regarding heel spurs:

http://heelspurs.com/index.html

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/16/02 at 16:36 (092688)

Hi

Sorry that you are in so much pain. You can have the bone spur grow back. It is not necessary to remove all of the bone spur. The bone spur is a calificaton that your body places at the area where the plantar fascia has torn away from the heel bone. The purpose of the heelspur surgery was to
remove some of the damaged fascia and bone spur to stimulate the body to heal the area. I have seen many heel spur grow back and have no pain due to the bone spur being completely hard and not soft as is usually the case before surgery. It this doesn't make sense let men know and I will try to answer again

Sharon H. on 10/01/02 at 17:32 (096637)

Here is an excellent article regarding heel spurs:

http://heelspurs.com/index.html

Jim T on 5/28/03 at 17:15 (120194)

Omg:Thats awfull Sheri! Sounds like the Doc, did'nt do his job properly. I've been dealing with healspur for a few months now specialy in my right foot. I'm not sure but it seems to be getting worse? I use an ice pack and a rolling pin to excercise with. I'm hopping to beet this pain with out having surgery.I'm even conserding coral calcium to help with the heling process.I'm not postive but I think any surgery should be the last result of any type of injury. Good luck!

Sencerily,
Jim T