Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anti-inflammatories, redux

Posted by Dan on 8/16/02 at 05:51 (092647)

Hi can another doctor answer my questions here? I want to know if Motrin *actually helps PF heal* of if it is *only* for pain? Is reducing swelling helpful in healing?

Also, is it just as well to take several Motrins to equal one prescription-strength one, or is there some benefit to taking one big pill? Thanks.

Re: Anti-inflammatories, redux

Sharon W on 8/16/02 at 07:06 (092650)

Dan,

I'm not a Dr. but I will take a stab at that one.

Swelling is associated with inflammation and leads to compression of tissues (sometimes including nerves) and causes pain. If you reduce swelling, you reduce pain -- but since SOMETHING caused the inflammation and swelling in the first place, you may NOT be ddealing with the original cause of the inflammation.

Sharon

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/16/02 at 20:44 (092699)

See my posts concerning the treatment triad -- inflammation, biomechanics and tissue quality need be addressed. Motrin addresses only inflammation.
Ed

Sharon W on 8/16/02 at 07:06 (092650)

Dan,

I'm not a Dr. but I will take a stab at that one.

Swelling is associated with inflammation and leads to compression of tissues (sometimes including nerves) and causes pain. If you reduce swelling, you reduce pain -- but since SOMETHING caused the inflammation and swelling in the first place, you may NOT be ddealing with the original cause of the inflammation.

Sharon

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/16/02 at 20:44 (092699)

See my posts concerning the treatment triad -- inflammation, biomechanics and tissue quality need be addressed. Motrin addresses only inflammation.
Ed