Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

INSERTS/KNEES

Posted by Robert Ray on 8/16/02 at 08:00 (092654)

I have the stiff burkenstock inserts and since i have been wearing them it has helped my PF but my knees hurts in the front now, is this because they changed my gait ? Also it has been 7 months and the PF is a little better, reading the other posts it seems this condition never COMPLETELY goes away? I was an active athlete, is that over ?

Re: INSERTS/KNEES

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/16/02 at 20:42 (092698)

Birks can be helpful for standing but not always as good for walking due to their stiffness. What else are you doing for the problem? Read Scott's Heel Pain Book here to understand the regimin of treatment. It becomes harder to completely resolve plantar fasciitis which has been going on for a long time. The problem is resolved in the majority of cases. Keep in mind that posters here do not represent the 'average' case of PF but probably represent the tougher 'recalcitrant' cases.
Ed

Robert Ray on 8/19/02 at 08:04 (092880)

Thanks Ed for answering. I have been following the book plus R.I.C.E. Went to podiatry and had shots. This problem mysteriously in jan. and became so bad in my left foot walking was almost imposible plus work at the time kept me on my feet 12 -16 hrs day for 5 weeks. I think i made a breakthrough tho few days ago completely by accident. My left foot from middle of instep to heel has been worst so i noticed the pain was following my gait as my foot rolled noticeably inward, put a foam insert on top of the birkenstocks but forgot to on the right shoe. The rusult was dramatic as my pain greatly lessened and seemed to be walking 'level' I measured my lega and the left is 5/8' shorter sepically in the heel area, you can observe it visually. What is going on that this should happen/appear? I have kept this combination in my shoes and the difference is huge, have my legs always been like this, i have never had PF or related problems ever before, am 45 yrs old and always been an athlete, what should i do ?

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/16/02 at 20:42 (092698)

Birks can be helpful for standing but not always as good for walking due to their stiffness. What else are you doing for the problem? Read Scott's Heel Pain Book here to understand the regimin of treatment. It becomes harder to completely resolve plantar fasciitis which has been going on for a long time. The problem is resolved in the majority of cases. Keep in mind that posters here do not represent the 'average' case of PF but probably represent the tougher 'recalcitrant' cases.
Ed

Robert Ray on 8/19/02 at 08:04 (092880)

Thanks Ed for answering. I have been following the book plus R.I.C.E. Went to podiatry and had shots. This problem mysteriously in jan. and became so bad in my left foot walking was almost imposible plus work at the time kept me on my feet 12 -16 hrs day for 5 weeks. I think i made a breakthrough tho few days ago completely by accident. My left foot from middle of instep to heel has been worst so i noticed the pain was following my gait as my foot rolled noticeably inward, put a foam insert on top of the birkenstocks but forgot to on the right shoe. The rusult was dramatic as my pain greatly lessened and seemed to be walking 'level' I measured my lega and the left is 5/8' shorter sepically in the heel area, you can observe it visually. What is going on that this should happen/appear? I have kept this combination in my shoes and the difference is huge, have my legs always been like this, i have never had PF or related problems ever before, am 45 yrs old and always been an athlete, what should i do ?