Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Weight, Health, Longevity

Posted by R C on 8/16/02 at 13:03 (092665)

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give you my updated list of web resources related to weight control and other health matters. (Sorry it is such a long message.) I found this information to be most helpful in my own struggle to improve my physical condition after a 2+ years with PF. By counting calories and swimming 5x a week, I have lost about 21 pounds (most of it gained while trying to stay off my aching foot!), and am in darned good shape. I hope this is useful to somebody out there.

R C

This is one of the best general articles on weight loss: http://www.diennet.com/obesity1.htm . It appears to be medically and scientifically sound, though a bit technical.

Here is an extensive chart showing the nutritional content (calories, fat, protein, carb, etc.) of hundreds of food items . You can use it to count calories all day to keep the total under the targeted level. After a while you can do it pretty much in your head.

Use this to determine the number of calories per day you would need to maintain your weight: . It takes into account your basal metabolism, as well as activity levels and exercise. To perform the calculation yourself, use the formulas at . These formulas tend to yield overestimates in the case of an overweight individual. A 3500 calorie deficit = 1 pound weight loss. Thus, to lose one pound per week, you would need to maintain a 500 calorie deficit each day.

To estimate your ideal weight (based on age, height and frame size), refer to . There are other useful calculators as well.

Serving Sizes Defined . You'll see that these clinically defined serving sizes are quite small compared to the present cultural standard.

Body Fat Percentage calculator based on three abdominal measurements: .
Three Body Fat Percentage calculators based on different measurement sets: . Each of these can only give you a rough estimate. More accurate results can be achieved via electrical impedance or water displacement methods.

Here are some brief notes on carbohydrate metabolism: http://nutrition.about.com/library/blnutritionnotesdiabetes.htm . It touches on the roles of insulin and glucagon during serum glucose regulation. More specifically the site http://www.dontweightaround.com/scale.html explains those daily swings of 5 pounds or more.

Calculate your 'real' age based on health and lifestyle factors. At the end it gives recommended lifestyle changes for improving your 'real' age.

Life expectancy quiz, similar to the above. . Again, you can infer from the questions those life habits that could add years to your life.

The website Understanding Body Fat Percentage, at , goes into more detail about the significance of body fat percentage versus (say) body mass index, in relation to a weight loss program. For example, according to the link , approximately 75% of weight loss from dieting alone is due to loss of fatty tissue, while 25% is due to loss of lean tissue (muscle!). This does not take into account the effects of exercise, however; conventional wisdom dictates that the loss of lean tissue is minimized by losing weight slowly (up to 2 pounds per week) and by combining diet with exercise.

Muscle tissue tends to burn 0.5818 calories per hour per pound at rest, according to . (That's 13.96 calories per pound per day at rest.) That figure rises by a factor of 1.7 during vigorous exercise. Fatty tissue burns almost nothing by comparison.

Check this site for the number of calories burned per hour, during various activities: .

Learn the nutritional content of fast foods: .
See also , .
The results are shocking. From a McDonald's Big Mac Combo (plus one drink refill), you get a staggering 1,500 calories.

Re: Ignore this thread: Weight, Health, Longevity

R C on 8/16/02 at 13:25 (092667)

Sorry, but for some reason most of the web addresses didn't copy into the text of my post, which makes it pretty useless. I must have broken the rules.

Re: Ignore this thread: Weight, Health, Longevity

R C on 8/16/02 at 13:25 (092667)

Sorry, but for some reason most of the web addresses didn't copy into the text of my post, which makes it pretty useless. I must have broken the rules.