Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Amfit Orthotics???

Posted by Shirley W on 8/16/02 at 21:32 (092704)

Has anyone out there tried the Amfit orthotics? I previously am wearing a pair of orthos from a sports injury store, and they help some, but not enough. They have added as much support as they can to the limit for my high arches. They suggested the Amfit custom. They have an electronic footfax 3D Contact Digitizer in the store. They are a soft type of ortho, which feels better to me than the hard plastic type my POD tried to make for me (which didn't fit at all). Let me know if anyone has tried these, how long you have had them and if they have worked for you. Thanks for the help

Re: Amfit Orthotics???

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/17/02 at 14:15 (092746)

Amfit makes a turn key computerized system for the automation of orthotic production. The quality of the final product is dependent on the knowledge of the system operator.
Ed

BGCPed on 8/19/02 at 12:42 (092910)

Dr Ed is correct. Many people think that if it is a computer it must be foolproof. You can make junk or a great device with the system. I have used it for about 7 years now. I tell people that it is just like a calculator in that you can make a mistake on it and its not the fault of the calculator but pilot error.

Having the system allows us to do orthotics in 1 hour which is a feature that many patients really appreciate.

BGCPed on 8/19/02 at 14:31 (092919)

Dr Ed is correct. Many people think that if it is a computer it must be foolproof. You can make junk or a great device with the system. I have used it for about 7 years now. I tell people that it is just like a calculator in that you can make a mistake on it and its not the fault of the calculator but pilot error.

Having the system allows us to do orthotics in 1 hour which is a feature that many patients really appreciate.

Kim R. on 8/19/02 at 15:51 (092923)

Shirley, I am just figuring this web site out. I posted some comments earlier today about Amfit orthotics. I love mine. I have pf and heel spurs and I am a runner. I have the soft flexible kid and I love them. I don't even know they are in my shoes. A friend had the hard type and they caused her more pain than the pf. See my previous response and descriptions. Kim R.

F.H. on 8/19/02 at 18:13 (092933)

Had two pairs...they were AWFUL.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/17/02 at 14:15 (092746)

Amfit makes a turn key computerized system for the automation of orthotic production. The quality of the final product is dependent on the knowledge of the system operator.
Ed

BGCPed on 8/19/02 at 12:42 (092910)

BGCPed on 8/19/02 at 14:31 (092919)

Kim R. on 8/19/02 at 15:51 (092923)

Shirley, I am just figuring this web site out. I posted some comments earlier today about Amfit orthotics. I love mine. I have pf and heel spurs and I am a runner. I have the soft flexible kid and I love them. I don't even know they are in my shoes. A friend had the hard type and they caused her more pain than the pf. See my previous response and descriptions. Kim R.

F.H. on 8/19/02 at 18:13 (092933)

Had two pairs...they were AWFUL.

John.D on 11/07/08 at 02:19 (251947)

Replying in 2008 to this message for the benefit of anyone recently experiencing the Amfit product. I have developed Plantar Faciatisis recently--and wouldn't you know it, started a new job often requireing 8 hours constantly on my feet. The pain was so bad in my right heel and arch I was virtually a cripple at the end of the day. I went to Foot Solutions in Charlotte, NC and was fited with the Amfit pliable insoles. After a week my condition is imporved by 90% and I am able to work almost pain free. Brother, your orthotics were not fitted properly the first time. If they worked for me, they will for most people and you should go back to your supplier and ask for a refit. Most orthotic stores are there to help you and are not always successful the first time. The Amfits are guarnteed for 90 days by the manufacturer and you can be refitted free of charge.

chellybo on 4/27/09 at 15:52 (257170)

if you have someone who has experience in fitting them ... THEY ARE THE BEST. I've been using the technology to make custom footbeds for over 10 years. Better than anything else if done right. ~r

Dr. Wedemeyer on 4/28/09 at 14:00 (257195)

Amfit is one method and it can be a very good one in the right hands as chellybo has stated, but it is not the best system out there.

It has certain advantages being automated but very few doctors and pedorthists that I know of use their CNC mill or software and most send the cast to Amfit. I am not sold on Amfit as a lab but I am sure they do good work. The retail stores that use Amfit shoould be viewed with some skepticism in my opinion.

Also when yu say 'custom footbeds' it makes me wonder if we are talking about the same thing as a custom functional orthosis vs. an insole?