Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What is Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome?

Posted by Judy/AZ on 8/17/02 at 00:37 (092715)

I have a heel spur that does not seem to correct itself after I had orthotics made. My heel seems to hurt when I lift up on it. I'm beginning to think I have more than a heel spur.

Re: What is Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome?

Sharon W on 8/17/02 at 10:18 (092733)

Judy,

Tarsal tunnel syndrome is a problem that occurs when something puts pressure on one of the main nerves of the foot -- the posterior tibial nerve. This particular nerve goes through a 'notch' called the tarsal tunnel, located on the inside of your ankle just behind the bump. Inside the notch (tarsal tunnel) are three tendons going to the foot, plus an artery, a vein, and the posterior tibial nerve. There is a thick band of tissue called the flexor retinaculum, which crosses this notch, and it is not at all elastic; it does NOT permit expansion if something inside the tarsal tunnel swells or grows. So if that happens, pressure builds up inside the notch, when the nerve is under pressure, it causes nerve pain and/or numbness in the foot and ankle.

Sometimes a person with tarsal tunnel syndrome has shooting pains that run from the inside of the ankle to the small toes, or the middle toes. Often there is burning, and/or numbness on the bottom of the outside of the foot. There may also be burning sensations in the inner ankle area, and sometimes there is some swelling or redness. It can also cause pain or numbness in the heel and/or arch areas.

I'm sure others on this board could provide you with more details.

Sharon

Re: Thank you Sharon. I appreciate your quick response...

Judy/AZ on 8/17/02 at 11:49 (092740)

to my question. I don't think I have TTS then. But my heel spur sure doesn't want to heal. I've had heel spurs for the past 12 years or so. It seems that I have to have new orthotics every 2-3 years. This time the orthotic doesn't seem to be working. I still have the pain when I raise my heel - has been going on with these new orthotics for the past two months now. Perhaps it just needs more time. Thank you again for you kindness in answering my question.

Re: What is Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome?

Sharon W on 8/17/02 at 10:18 (092733)

Judy,

Tarsal tunnel syndrome is a problem that occurs when something puts pressure on one of the main nerves of the foot -- the posterior tibial nerve. This particular nerve goes through a 'notch' called the tarsal tunnel, located on the inside of your ankle just behind the bump. Inside the notch (tarsal tunnel) are three tendons going to the foot, plus an artery, a vein, and the posterior tibial nerve. There is a thick band of tissue called the flexor retinaculum, which crosses this notch, and it is not at all elastic; it does NOT permit expansion if something inside the tarsal tunnel swells or grows. So if that happens, pressure builds up inside the notch, when the nerve is under pressure, it causes nerve pain and/or numbness in the foot and ankle.

Sometimes a person with tarsal tunnel syndrome has shooting pains that run from the inside of the ankle to the small toes, or the middle toes. Often there is burning, and/or numbness on the bottom of the outside of the foot. There may also be burning sensations in the inner ankle area, and sometimes there is some swelling or redness. It can also cause pain or numbness in the heel and/or arch areas.

I'm sure others on this board could provide you with more details.

Sharon

Re: Thank you Sharon. I appreciate your quick response...

Judy/AZ on 8/17/02 at 11:49 (092740)

to my question. I don't think I have TTS then. But my heel spur sure doesn't want to heal. I've had heel spurs for the past 12 years or so. It seems that I have to have new orthotics every 2-3 years. This time the orthotic doesn't seem to be working. I still have the pain when I raise my heel - has been going on with these new orthotics for the past two months now. Perhaps it just needs more time. Thank you again for you kindness in answering my question.