Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I am starting to regret having surgeries.

Posted by Linda on 8/17/02 at 10:06 (092732)

I have had surgery on both my feet. I had tts,heelspur removed,and fascia release on my right foot On December 14,2002. I had the same done to my left foot,except for the heel spur removal on March 29,2002. My left foot had severe nerve damage,and my doc says it is going to take a year to heal. I have about 15 minutes where i can walk pain free. After 15 minutes, i get severe shooting pains in both my feet. Has anyone else had this happen? My right foot started feeling good, until i had my left done. I think trying to compensate for my left has made the right one sensitive,and The doc and therapist said i still have a lot of scar tissue in my left. I have brand new orthotics which i got 1 month ago. They are a lot more comfortable than my old ones, but sometimes i swear they make my feet hurt even more. I am starting to regret this, and it is really starting to depress me. I just want to be normal for once. It kind of puts a damper on doing anything with my family. does anyone have suggestions? I am doing physical therapy for 4 more weeks, and i am hoping this helps a little more
sorry this is so long........................

Re: I am starting to regret having surgeries.

kay on 8/17/02 at 22:27 (092794)

linda i am really sorry to hear you are doing so poorly. my doctor told me that recovery take a min. of six months. i've also read it can take upward of 18 months. so first be patient. second see your family doctor about wellbutrin. it is an antidepressant that really works without a lot of side effects. it 4-5 weeks to start working but it does help.
third try slowing down. stay off your feet when possible. try to find someone who knows about deep friction massage to break up scar tissue. never go barefooted.
anyone else have any advice?
keep us posted from time to time to let us know how you are doing.
after your surgery how long was you off your feet?
kay

Linda on 8/18/02 at 06:48 (092814)

Kay,
thank you for the input.
It just bothers me because I am a personal trainer,and I used to work out at the gym 6 days a week. I have gained 50lbs since having my surgery last December. I have had chronic foot pain since I was 16. I was an athlete,and played hockey,basketball,softball,and ran track. I haven't been able to do much physically because I am in severe pain after 15 minutes.
thanks again for your advice,and i will ask my doc.

Pauline on 8/18/02 at 12:10 (092838)

Linda,
Personally I think it's tooo early to make a major decision about the outcome of the surgery you had on your feet. I think you need more healing time before seeing the final outcome.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/18/02 at 15:22 (092847)

Linda:
Did you have a nerve conduction velocity test (NCV) before the surgery?
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/18/02 at 19:48 (092864)

I have used ESWT on post heel spur surgical cases just like your. It worked
and now the patients are pain free

Linda on 8/19/02 at 07:33 (092877)

yes i did,as well as the Electromyography. When I started physical therapy, I had ultrasound,Electronic muscle stimulation,deep massage,and the procedure (i forget what it is called) where they put this sort of medicine on a patch,put it on the affected area,and hook up electrodes,which sends pulsating sensations to the area.

Linda on 8/19/02 at 07:44 (092878)

I will ask My doc if this is available for me. Thank you for the input. What is really fustrating is the fact that my right foot felt great,and i had minimal pain,until i had surgery on my left foot. I think compensating for my left caused my right to start hurting. I am fine for about 15 minutes when i wake up. If i stay off my feet I have no pain, but as soon as i stand it starts killing.
Now the past week I am getting pain on the external side of my feet,from my heel all the way up to my small toe. This is a new one for me.
Thanks again for the info,and i am going to check it out.

Pauline on 8/19/02 at 13:42 (092916)

Linda,
I'm not a doctor, but I bet your correct in thinking compensating for your left foot produced more pain in the right. We've seen this happen in P.F. patients posting that haven't even had surgery. The minute we start to compensate one side over the other, pain in new locations seem to appear.

You've had two surgeries pretty close together. The first foot probably wasn't completely heeled to take the strain and weight off the other. I think only time will tell how pain free you will be. The more you can stay off your feet probably the better. You might want to discuss with your doctor extra support for the foot that needs to bear the majority of your weight right now to try and protect it. Just my thoughts.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/19/02 at 21:15 (092940)

What did the NCV test show?
Ed

Linda on 8/20/02 at 05:07 (092966)

I'm not exactly sure, but that is when the doctor decided surgery was my only option. Before i had surgery, i had shooting pains up to my toes,and the were always going numb. I also had heel pain,and my arch burned.

Rebecca C on 8/24/02 at 22:28 (093441)

I too am regretting my surgies on both feet for PF. But I am also wondering if I should go through the surgies again or stop while I'm ahead. I am going to a Pain Clinic this week that I have been too for Migraines and I am going to ask their opinion and see if they can help with the pain. I cannot recieve any narcartics from any other MD's without the Pain Clinic's approval. So if anyone is thinking of going to a Pain Clinic, keep in mind you have to sign a contract with them. But I say if they can help and take the pain away, then go for it.
I have also been very depressed that my foot pain has returned and I am afraid all the time that I will end up in a wheel chair.

Linda on 8/25/02 at 08:17 (093459)

How long ago did you have your surgeries? I am taking the wait and see approach right now. It will be one year on December 14th on my right foot, and one year next March 29th on my left. The doctor told me it would take about a year, so I am just hoping it works.
I have started a new therapy that is actually working on my left foot. The therapist puts liquid cortizone on a patch,and puts the patch in the area of pain,then hooks up little electrodes to it,and sends the cortizone to the area. I am feeling a little better just from 3 treatments.
If it works, I am going to ask the doc if i can try it on my right.
Thank you for your input.

kay on 8/17/02 at 22:27 (092794)

linda i am really sorry to hear you are doing so poorly. my doctor told me that recovery take a min. of six months. i've also read it can take upward of 18 months. so first be patient. second see your family doctor about wellbutrin. it is an antidepressant that really works without a lot of side effects. it 4-5 weeks to start working but it does help.
third try slowing down. stay off your feet when possible. try to find someone who knows about deep friction massage to break up scar tissue. never go barefooted.
anyone else have any advice?
keep us posted from time to time to let us know how you are doing.
after your surgery how long was you off your feet?
kay

Linda on 8/18/02 at 06:48 (092814)

Kay,
thank you for the input.
It just bothers me because I am a personal trainer,and I used to work out at the gym 6 days a week. I have gained 50lbs since having my surgery last December. I have had chronic foot pain since I was 16. I was an athlete,and played hockey,basketball,softball,and ran track. I haven't been able to do much physically because I am in severe pain after 15 minutes.
thanks again for your advice,and i will ask my doc.

Pauline on 8/18/02 at 12:10 (092838)

Linda,
Personally I think it's tooo early to make a major decision about the outcome of the surgery you had on your feet. I think you need more healing time before seeing the final outcome.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/18/02 at 15:22 (092847)

Linda:
Did you have a nerve conduction velocity test (NCV) before the surgery?
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/18/02 at 19:48 (092864)

I have used ESWT on post heel spur surgical cases just like your. It worked
and now the patients are pain free

Linda on 8/19/02 at 07:33 (092877)

yes i did,as well as the Electromyography. When I started physical therapy, I had ultrasound,Electronic muscle stimulation,deep massage,and the procedure (i forget what it is called) where they put this sort of medicine on a patch,put it on the affected area,and hook up electrodes,which sends pulsating sensations to the area.

Linda on 8/19/02 at 07:44 (092878)

I will ask My doc if this is available for me. Thank you for the input. What is really fustrating is the fact that my right foot felt great,and i had minimal pain,until i had surgery on my left foot. I think compensating for my left caused my right to start hurting. I am fine for about 15 minutes when i wake up. If i stay off my feet I have no pain, but as soon as i stand it starts killing.
Now the past week I am getting pain on the external side of my feet,from my heel all the way up to my small toe. This is a new one for me.
Thanks again for the info,and i am going to check it out.

Pauline on 8/19/02 at 13:42 (092916)

Linda,
I'm not a doctor, but I bet your correct in thinking compensating for your left foot produced more pain in the right. We've seen this happen in P.F. patients posting that haven't even had surgery. The minute we start to compensate one side over the other, pain in new locations seem to appear.

You've had two surgeries pretty close together. The first foot probably wasn't completely heeled to take the strain and weight off the other. I think only time will tell how pain free you will be. The more you can stay off your feet probably the better. You might want to discuss with your doctor extra support for the foot that needs to bear the majority of your weight right now to try and protect it. Just my thoughts.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/19/02 at 21:15 (092940)

What did the NCV test show?
Ed

Linda on 8/20/02 at 05:07 (092966)

I'm not exactly sure, but that is when the doctor decided surgery was my only option. Before i had surgery, i had shooting pains up to my toes,and the were always going numb. I also had heel pain,and my arch burned.

Rebecca C on 8/24/02 at 22:28 (093441)

I too am regretting my surgies on both feet for PF. But I am also wondering if I should go through the surgies again or stop while I'm ahead. I am going to a Pain Clinic this week that I have been too for Migraines and I am going to ask their opinion and see if they can help with the pain. I cannot recieve any narcartics from any other MD's without the Pain Clinic's approval. So if anyone is thinking of going to a Pain Clinic, keep in mind you have to sign a contract with them. But I say if they can help and take the pain away, then go for it.
I have also been very depressed that my foot pain has returned and I am afraid all the time that I will end up in a wheel chair.

Linda on 8/25/02 at 08:17 (093459)

How long ago did you have your surgeries? I am taking the wait and see approach right now. It will be one year on December 14th on my right foot, and one year next March 29th on my left. The doctor told me it would take about a year, so I am just hoping it works.
I have started a new therapy that is actually working on my left foot. The therapist puts liquid cortizone on a patch,and puts the patch in the area of pain,then hooks up little electrodes to it,and sends the cortizone to the area. I am feeling a little better just from 3 treatments.
If it works, I am going to ask the doc if i can try it on my right.
Thank you for your input.