Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Have been to two foot doctors so far....

Posted by Judy/AZ on 8/17/02 at 12:14 (092741)

I've been having trouble with my heel for the past 8 months. Went to a foot doctor in my town and he took xrays and said I have a torn tendon - often called heel spurs he told me. He took molds of my foot for orthotics, the lab just couldn't get the orthotics correct. It caused me more pain to wear them. Kept going back to have them adjusted but to no avail. I finally went back to CA to see my old foot doctor. He took casts of my feet for another pair of orthotics. These orthotics are better, but after two months of wearing these in a well fitting sneaker, I still have some pain. I've been putting ice on my heel for about 10 minuites at a time and doing stretching exercises. I've also tried moist heat, but the ice seems to help more. It doens't seem to hurt when I step down on my foot, but it hurts when I lift up my heel to walk.

I'm beginning to think I have something more than a heel spur. I have the xrays and I can see the spur. It's about 1/8 -inch long at the point and then it seems to go back under the heel some more. Do you have any suggestions as to what I can do for this? My first doctor told me it would be about 3-6 months for it to heal. That was in March of this year, but his orthotic didn't fit me at all.

Needless to say, I'm getting frustrated with this. I've had orthotics before and this is the first time an orthotic didn't work on my foot - I am really surprised at this.

Re: Have been to two foot doctors so far....

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/17/02 at 14:28 (092748)

Hi

From your description of tear and the fact that you have a bone spur or what is called calification you are at the stage where ESWT could be very helpful to you. Do you know anything about ESWT. This is an excellent procedure for the chronic plantar fasciitis with or without bone spur.

Re: I live in the Phoenix area...

Judy/AZ on 8/17/02 at 16:23 (092765)

Does anyone do ESWT in this vicinity?

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/18/02 at 08:10 (092819)

Look up the treatment site on this site. You can also contact Dornier at theeir web site http://www.dornier.com .

Re: Have been to two foot doctors so far....

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/17/02 at 14:28 (092748)

Hi

From your description of tear and the fact that you have a bone spur or what is called calification you are at the stage where ESWT could be very helpful to you. Do you know anything about ESWT. This is an excellent procedure for the chronic plantar fasciitis with or without bone spur.

Judy/AZ on 8/17/02 at 16:23 (092765)

Does anyone do ESWT in this vicinity?

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/18/02 at 08:10 (092819)

Look up the treatment site on this site. You can also contact Dornier at theeir web site http://www.dornier.com .