Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel falls a sleep

Posted by chris on 8/17/02 at 15:28 (092759)

Dr, my heels falls a sleep after about an hour of skiing. It feels great for that period of time but then I have to stop and take off my boot and regain circulation. Is their something I can put in my boot. I have tried wedges. ANy thoughts?? I have have flat feet.

Re: heel falls a sleep

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/17/02 at 18:52 (092776)

A couple of things may be occurring. The boot is too tight and is pressing on some of the nerves on the side of the heel.. or ... your foot is rolling into the heel counter (pronation) placing pressure on the medial aspect of the heel. Wedges should help if placed properly. If not, consider using a ski orthotic in your boot.
Ed

Re: heel falls a sleep

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/17/02 at 18:52 (092776)

A couple of things may be occurring. The boot is too tight and is pressing on some of the nerves on the side of the heel.. or ... your foot is rolling into the heel counter (pronation) placing pressure on the medial aspect of the heel. Wedges should help if placed properly. If not, consider using a ski orthotic in your boot.
Ed